Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-22-2014, 02:46 PM   #1
pointnplink

Best Ibanez for Student of Shred?

I've always been drawn to the Ibanez and it's thin neck, especially since after seeing Nita Strauss on youtube giving one a nice, warm, affectionate hug as she wailed on it like a food processor. If I could be reincarnated, I'd wanna come back as HER guitar
It's been said that shredders prefer the Wizard I neck...I dunno. Any recommendations? Maybe even an alternate brand like a Jackson, perhaps?
pointnplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #2
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Well first off, have you tried anything with a Wizard neck or thin necks in general? I understand that most people prefer thinner necks for shredding but that's not always the case. The only way you'll know is if you actually try the guitars in question before you buy them.

What are you asking by the way? You're not giving a budget, not telling us what exactly you're looking for/want it for, nor are you listing genres of music you play or gear you already have. If you're looking for advice on a new piece of gear, we're going to need that information.

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #3
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ agreed.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:58 PM   #4
pointnplink

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4T3BR33D3R
What are you asking by the way? You're not giving a budget, not telling us what exactly you're looking for/want it for, nor are you listing genres of music you play or gear you already have. If you're looking for advice on a new piece of gear, we're going to need that information.

Classic rock/metal
500.00-800.00 USD
Amp: Fender Mustang I amp
Does that help?
Old 10-22-2014, 04:01 PM   #5
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointnplink
Classic rock/metal
500.00-800.00 USD
Amp: Fender Mustang I amp
Does that help?

What guitar do you have now? What don't you like about it (sounds? playability? looks?)? Are you thinking that buying an Ibanez will make you more metal sounding (it wont)?

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:15 PM   #6
pantallica87
Schecter Wh0re

Quote:
*Are you thinking that buying an Ibanez will make you more metal sounding (it wont)?

Haha! Thats almost worth replacing my current quote on my signature. I Like You Sir! Best piece of wisdom Ive read in a while.
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50
Boss TU-2
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Ibanez TS-9
MXR Smart Gate
pantallica87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:55 PM   #7
Tony Done

Not my genre, but if I was spending that kind of $ I would be thinking about a better amp. What guitar do you have atm?
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #8
Robbgnarly

Your amp sucks and is the main issue your having with tone/sound
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #9
Fallenoath
My minds playin' tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Your amp sucks and is the main issue your having with tone/sound

Probably this.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute
1999 Ibanez RG470 (MIJ)
Peavey 6505+
Egnater Tweaker 15 (Yeah, I tweak)
Fallenoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:34 PM   #10
pointnplink

Additional info...

Quote:
What guitar do you have now? What don't you like about it (sounds? playability? looks?)? Are you thinking that buying an Ibanez will make you more metal sounding (it wont)?

I have a Squier strat now.
Given that I keep running into these phrases in reviews of a Wizard neck (and others), "faster neck", "more comfortable" etc., this piques my interest. I'm also trying to separate the hype from the reality. I've noticed that if I increase the speed in which I'm playing, very quickly my fret hand's thumb begins to tense up at it's base, and I'm dragging it along behind the other four fingers as I play. Seems to be from having to stretch my fingers apart. I was hoping a "fast neck", with a "slim U", "slim D", "Wizard 1, 2, or 3" might alleviate this a bit.
Stretching also seems to affect my accuracy.
Additionally, the tremolo "port" (for lack of a better word) is stripped, and I would like to use a tremolo.

Last edited by pointnplink : 10-22-2014 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Additional info...
Old 10-22-2014, 11:51 PM   #11
Danustar

In short: Yes. The thinner necks are popular for getting across the strings easier, ergo quicker.

There are obviously technique issues involved here as well as simple stuff like the position of your guitar and/or strap length. Point is, plenty of people shred insanely on Strats and a skinny neck is no shortcut to great playing. Also, many people report thin necks actually increase the rate of hand fatigue because the reduced palm contact requires the thumb to do more of the work. It very much depends on how and what you play - that's why the others are recommending you try out a few.

And ignore the amp hate. It's a good practice amp and you weren't asking about sound.
Old Yesterday, 04:47 AM   #12
gorkyporky
I like pie.

Quote:
Given that I keep running into these phrases in reviews of a Wizard neck (and others), "faster neck", "more comfortable" etc., this piques my interest. I'm also trying to separate the hype from the reality. I've noticed that if I increase the speed in which I'm playing, very quickly my fret hand's thumb begins to tense up at it's base, and I'm dragging it along behind the other four fingers as I play. Seems to be from having to stretch my fingers apart. I was hoping a "fast neck", with a "slim U", "slim D", "Wizard 1, 2, or 3" might alleviate this a bit.
Additionally, the tremolo "port" (for lack of a better word) is stripped, and I would like to use a tremolo.

Well, it really depends. I didnt like my wizard 1 neck, it was way to thin for me. My hand actually hurt after 45minutes of playing. And i couldnt go as fast as i can on my SZ320 now. I have a friend who can also shred up his Gibson LP with a neck the size of a small tree, but he plays slower and les ariculate on his Ibanez that has a wizard2. You should try some of them, i bet you can find an Ibanez in any music store. The thumb thing just seems like something that you have to work on, a thinner neck will probably only make it worse, since you will need more pressure with the thumb and less with the palm to get the same pressure.
Old Yesterday, 07:07 AM   #13
Robbgnarly

Yeah deff try some different neck profiles out. I really don't like the thin Ibanez necks at all.

I have guitars that have 50's style Gibson necks to some thinner styles, but nothing like a Wizard neck. I find they all work just fine
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM   #14
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done
Not my genre, but if I was spending that kind of $ I would be thinking about a better amp. What guitar do you have atm?

The guy is asking about guitar necks and you drop in "buy a better amp?"
He isn't asking about a "tone problem."
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM   #15
dspellman

Quote:

This is a technique issue.
If you find your thumb bending back, it's because you're panicking about playing fast. If you bend your thumb back, the base of your thumb (that big muscle where your thumb meets your wrist, called the basal joint) will get sore. If you keep your thumb rounded and concentrate on NOT increasing the pressure on it (your thumb should largely be there to *locate* your hand, not provide a lot of clamping force), you'll do better. Just the process of paying attention to it will help your technique.

The folks who need big thick necks are often resting the neck on that big muscle, and using the extra leverage of forearm muscles for bending, vibrato and barre chords. As a result, they'll find it very difficult to use a thin neck and very difficult to move rapidly over 7 and 8-string guitars. You'll also find that these folks have their fingers coming down on the strings at an angle, rather than attacking the strings more vertically. If you've got your neck being squeezed by that big muscle, it's difficult to move quickly to nail a note on the low strings; your hand position on the back of the neck is needing to change, too.

I have huge XXL paws, but I love thin necks and very low action. The latter is important because the need to raise your fingers high between notes is an obvious hindrance to speed. There's also the issue of radius -- you'll find that necks designed specifically for fast playing are usually flatter (14", 16", even 20") and that frets are often higher (jumbos), reducing or eliminating friction from the fretboard itself in bending, vibrato, etc. Fretting notes on this kind of a neck should not require much effort at all.

But if you're trying too hard to speed things up, you'll sometimes find you're losing technique. It's better to slow things down, develop the technique, and then develop the speed by simply dialing the metronome up in small increments. You'll probably find you'll hit plateaus here and there, where you think you've hit your limit. This really isn't the case, but you may find yourself stuck for a bit, and then suddenly able to play faster. Not unusual at all. It's more a question of your brain developing new neural pathways.

One final thing. Low-slung guitars strapped horizontally across your body *can* be played fast, but you'll develop arthritis and repetitive motion injuries over time. High and tight usually works much better for speed -- a 45 degree angle high enough that your wrist isn't bent sideways, but can come straight into the side of the fretboard, will work much better and leave your arm/hand much healthier. You'll see the low-slung rockers looking cool right up until they need to do a solo. Then suddenly they've got a foot up on a monitor and the neck coming up a lot closer (and a lot more vertical).

Back to necks. I have an Agile that has a fast/wide neck. It's 1 3/4" wide at the nut. Neck depth at the first fret is only 17mm, depth at the 12th fret is 20.5mm. That's a shorter scale (24.75") than most Wizard necks, but the neck's pretty much on track in terms of depth. 16" radius, jumbo frets, ebony (ultra smooth) fretboard, stainless frets (like butter), no noticeable bumps or V's, no pronounced shoulders, almost a C. Awesome neck for speed. Carvin makes necks that are somehow excellent for speed. Ibanez started the whole Wizard thing. And I've got a Variax JTV-89F (wider, flatter, 16" radius, jumbo frets, 24 frets and an ebony-smooth rosewood fretboard) that may have the fastest neck of the six models of Variax offered. Absolutely level frets are a must or you'll be screwing with action height to compensate and that will screw with your speed. Figure the cost of a good PLEK setup into the budget for any new guitar. If you don't need it, great (I have seven Carvins that all had great fretwork from the factory, but I've done the Agiles and Gibsons almost immediately). Ignore the "thick strings for toanz" boys. I have 9's on 10's on everything (depending).
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM   #16
Robbie-G

Theres a fair amount of decent stuff you can look at in that price range (PRS SE, LTD, Ibanez, Jackson too name a few). I personally have never cared for most of the Ibanez (or Jackson) stuff in that range but YMMV.

I've always been partial to ESP/LTD and have found most of the stuff I've tried, even the inexpensive models to be very good for the price. Thicker necks than Ibanez but still fairly thin and fast.

FWIW I've liked every Ibanez Prestige I've ever played which if memory serves correctly is what Nita Strauss is usually playing in the clips I've seen. The Prestige models are on a whole other level than standard Ibanez and if your willing to go second hand they can be had in your price range.
Robbie-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM   #17
dazzzer30

I think the Fender deluxe strat HSS I don't see how anyone could not shred on this, i have played Les pauls nearly all my life but the strat neck seems the fastest I have every played .
dazzzer30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM   #18
Tony Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman
The guy is asking about guitar necks and you drop in "buy a better amp?"
He isn't asking about a "tone problem."

Do you need to spend $800 to fix a neck problem? I personally don't think so, OTOH, with a Mustang amp, I can see where the money could be spent.... I have played an enormous range of neck sizes shapes, from Ib skinny to 1930s National, and I reckon that most of what folks go on about with this can be fixed with practice.

Way too much hocus pocus in some of this, IMO.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM   #19
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Easy.

Used RG550 or 90s S540.

Used 6505 combo.

Sorted.

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:31 PM   #20
mctriple

The RG5xx/RG15xx series is a pretty good standard for shred guitars from Ibanez specifically. I absolutely love my MIJ RG570 after over a decade of having it. The wizard neck is amazing. I wouldn't recommend getting a lower-end RG (like the RG3xx) that has a tremelo, though. Stick to the higher-end RGs if you want a good tremelo that will stay in tune for many years. They're much higher quality trems.
mctriple is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: