Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-16-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
Tcrumpen

High End Guitars - pickguard or not?

Ok so i phoned up a local guitar store today and they said they will soon have a couple of Ibanez Prestiges in stock (i can't afford them right now) but the person on teh phone did say i could try them however from what i can recall from the phonecall both have pickguards, and to me that make the guitar look less appealing, so this raised a question does one need a pickguard on high end guitars

The guitar is question was this:

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg...d=37&color=CL02

I think the other one she mentioned was this one:

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg...d=35&color=CL01
Tcrumpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
I K0nijn I

Depends on what you like. I don't mind pickguards. I actually can dig them, because you can always replace them and on certain guitars, they just look better also. I wouldn't want to own an SG without one, for instance.
I K0nijn I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
metalcranium

If the guitar is less appealing to you with a pick guard then do not get a pick guard get the guitar that you really want especially when you spending that kind of money.
metalcranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:02 PM   #4
Tcrumpen

forgot to add that the prestige guitar are second hand (as i was originally looking at Ibanez Premiums)
Tcrumpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:18 PM   #5
Robbgnarly

You don't need a pickguard at all. I think some guitars look better without them.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:14 PM   #6
Tony Done

It's up to you. I happen to like plastic and paint ala Fender - I wouldn't be seen out with, eg, an LP Standard) - others prefer the fancy look.
Tony Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:18 PM   #7
necrosis1193
Autonomatonomonapoton

I like pickguards on strat-type guitars. That said, I think the bigger differences here are things like the single-coil and seventh string

Baltimore Orioles: 52-42
York Capitals: 5-3
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 world champions, 2013: 8-8
necrosis1193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

pretty much entirely preference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #9
Sakke
Miika Tenkula Fanboy

Personal preference. I mean, it's plastic, but then again, it brings different visuals to a guitar.
I've got a custom-built guitar myself and I wanted a pickguard. Not only to make it easier for the builder (pickup cavity is just a "pool") but also if I suddenly want a H-S-S configuration, I can just get a new pickguard cut instead of thinking how in the world am I going to modify my guitar.
I don't think a pickguard de-values a guitar. But, I really wouldn't dig a PRS double-cut with a pickguard

My band playing a song
Darkened Sky - End of Me
Sakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #10
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

I prefer a pickguard, they have a reason. If I look at my Ibanez pickguard, it has scratches and wear, so better on a piece of plastic I can replace than the wood finish. I have a Jackson with no pick guard, lent it to some guy at a jam night, he scratched the shit out of the finish with his mad strummin skills, didn't notice till the next day

Most SS styles do look better without though

Last edited by Tempoe : 08-16-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:01 PM   #11
FALCON1243
UG's Yungest Forumer

On alot of ibanez guitars the pickguards cover up the wires and wiring cavities. And sometimes if thats not the case you will just have a bunch of holes in your guitar.

Last edited by FALCON1243 : 08-16-2014 at 09:04 PM.
FALCON1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:15 PM   #12
Carrot
UG's only carrot

This is probably one of the most pointless threads ive seen in a while...

But on topic, I have 3 guitars without pickguards and 2 with. I enjoy each of my guitars regardless if it has a pickguard or not.

'13 PRS Custom 24 SE IG rolling mills
07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
10 Fender FMT tele custom
94 Fender frankenstrat
14 Fender metal strat.

Jet City JCA50H
Zilla studio pro 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:40 AM   #13
gregs1020
Hi mom!

p r e f e r e n c e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
good job, i'm just about sick of having to tear my guitars apart to put them back together with the right glue
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #14
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
p r e f e r e n c e

Just in case they missed it,

Preference!

de gustibus est non disputandum
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:27 PM   #15
jon_six

some guitars are just too pretty to cover up with a pickguard. my sg has a large pickguard which i think looks pretty cool but my high end godin has such a nice top on it they inlayed a pickguard

its all about preference really. only high end guitars you'll see with a pickguard are probably fenders and gibsons.
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
jon_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 03:38 PM   #16
MaaZeus

Only reason you might want a pickguard is if you anchor or brush your fingers on the guitar which will cause a polished wear mark in time, especially on satin finished guitars. Or you happen to have a habit of scraping the guitar with a pick.

Otherwise its a matter of preference. Myself I hate the looks of most pickguards. I mean, take a good Les Paul with absolutely gorgeous maple top with transparent finish. Why on earth cover a quarter of it with a cheap piece of white plastic? I just dont get it. Bleh. But YMMV.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:25 PM   #17
reincarnator

I prefer no pickguard, but it's totally subjective.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
reincarnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:42 PM   #18
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

I recently bought a cheap lp copy and it sounded too muddy with the pickguard on. It sounds much better now that I took the pickguard off and adjusted the tone knob. I was thinking about getting speed knobs for it to give it a lil more bite but I'm not real sure that would sound good with the case's tight low end. Why anyone would put a pickguard on a guitar is beyond me.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:31 AM   #19
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
Only reason you might want a pickguard is if you anchor or brush your fingers on the guitar which will cause a polished wear mark in time, especially on satin finished guitars. Or you happen to have a habit of scraping the guitar with a pick.

Otherwise its a matter of preference. Myself I hate the looks of most pickguards. I mean, take a good Les Paul with absolutely gorgeous maple top with transparent finish. Why on earth cover a quarter of it with a cheap piece of white plastic? I just dont get it. Bleh. But YMMV.

This is one of Neal Schon's guitars (sorry for the low-quality phone shot), which was in a repair shop for a refret and PLEK job. Neal rests his pinky on the guitar, which produces the outside "divot", and I think the one that lives between the strings may have to do with him "digging in" with the pick on the high E string.

Neal can't really put a pickguard on these guitars because he has the controls in different locations compared to most Gibson LPs -- that's a master volume nestled between the bridge pickup and the Floyd Rose, and that would get in the way of the usual LP pickguard. He has the MV there in part so that he can snag it with his little finger and do volume swells. Notice the two miniswitches behind the Floyd, the interesting combination of single-coil-size pickups in the neck position, etc.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:50 AM   #20
dannyalcatraz

Minor quibble- there ARE custom pickguard builders. Neal probsbly just doesn't want to mess with his mojo.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: