Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-22-2016, 04:01 PM   #1
Nofreakinclue

Bedroom level Guitar+Amp for 1k

Hello!

After years of not playing electric guitar (and selling my Dinky and 5150 Combo) i am in for a second round.

I am more into heavy metal / classic rock soundwise, clean sound is no priority.

Atm all i have is a pod3 and a bc rich warlock platinum.
I realy dislike the pod sounds they all seem harsh to me i would prefer something less scooped with smoother highs.
The warlock well.. cheap finish shitty mechanics awful ergonomics.. sins of my youth.

I am leaning more to a set neck /neck thru fixed Bridge mahogony + mini tube Combo setup.

First thing that came to my mind was an epiphone Standard and one of those 1-15W Combos (blackstar marshall)

In local adds those 5W tube Combos are listed at around 250 bucks just like emg fitted Epis
But dsl40 combos cost around 400ish and Gibson Studios start at 500 bucks (€)
Not sure if tonewise the extra bucks make a difference i would definitly check the guitar out first how well it is buíld.

Would prefer used stuff but new would be okay just want do stay under a grand and not loose too much value if i sell the stuff again.
Any suggestions?

tldr:
great low and high gain dístortion sounds with good playability under a 1000 €
Looks, brand and volume not so important

thanks in advance
Nofreakinclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:13 AM   #2
choonoo.lunn

At low (bedroom) volumes, checkout the Marshall CODE series- they're modeling amps rather than valve but it's really just snobbery to ignore non-valve systems. They should give you a large variety of classic to hard rock sounds.

They start at around $250 USD, that gives you enough for a more expensive guitar- or an epi' with some upgrades if you like epi's.
choonoo.lunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:56 AM   #3
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Quote:
alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:59 AM   #4
tcrono
Tab Contributor

Personally I enjoy the tones I can get out of my VOX VT40. It got a special valve circuit in the power amp section and still sounds fine on low volumes. It is a modeling amp though.
If you don't care about variety also check out the orange micro terror.

Hmm I honestly don't know about any cheap set neck /neck thru guitars. Apart from the obvious (Ibanez, Epiphone etc.) in that price range I really like the G&L Tribute with Humbuckers and Godin guitars. Just don't forget to try out as much as you can! No one sees and feels like you do.
tcrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:21 AM   #5
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

+1 on the G&L Tributes.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Quote:
alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:35 AM   #6
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choonoo.lunn
At low (bedroom) volumes, checkout the Marshall CODE series- they're modeling amps rather than valve but it's really just snobbery to ignore non-valve systems. They should give you a large variety of classic to hard rock sounds.

They start at around $250 USD, that gives you enough for a more expensive guitar- or an epi' with some upgrades if you like epi's.

No. Especially no since he has the budget for a decent valve amp.

i would look into a DSL 40c or DSL401combo (top of your range) i would also look into some laneys. i messed around with an iron heart for a few minutes and liked it.

you may want to look into jet city (soldano designed), they have a pretty good budget range that aren't bad and they are very cheap in the EU from thomann. while you are on thomann, their harley benton cabs are supposedly decent and are EXTREMELY cheap and come with V30's.

could you give us more detail on what you are looking for in a guitar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:25 AM   #7
Nofreakinclue

Hello

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Guitar wise well I really dislike the fenderish bolt on construction with that metal plate and pointy designs because of the playability when sitting.
Otherwise looks are unimportant.
An arched top would be nice (most of my basses are somehow arched) but ain't a must have

Tone wise I am looking for a full sound
That all sound to me like the opposite of a stratocaster that's why I first thought about epiphone lps
If I had the bucks it would be a esp horizon (my horizon bass is really nice) or an gibson les paul

There are also some ibanez sz floating around but I have no clue about them.

About the marshall code amps .. they seem cool but not really plug and play .. I only need a rock and one metal tone and maybe reverb that's it.
The 5150 como did just that but it was hard to tweak at low volumes.
Those jet city amps have a killer price first time I hear about them.
Nofreakinclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:14 AM   #8
metalmingee

Check out the ESP LTD Eclipses then. Look for a used 400, 401, or 1000 series.

Check out the new Peavey 6505MH paired with the Harley Benton vintage 30 cab.

A used Laney IronHeart Studio with that cab would be good too.
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)

Amps:
Mesa Dual Rec Roadster 212
Peavey 5150 212 with V30s
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver
metalmingee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:05 AM   #9
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nofreakinclue
I realy dislike the pod sounds they all seem harsh to me i would prefer something less scooped with smoother highs.

so the first thing i'll recommend is lower output bridge pick up.
it basically goes against most recommendations you'll likely get.
my suggestion, a bridge humbucker with an alnico V magnet. modern amps have the gain to get you all the dirt you want. a higher output pick up may be overdoing things. (just one person's thought).
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmingee
A used Laney IronHeart (IRT) Studio with that cab would be good too.

and that amp. it'll do what you want, try one. a plus is that it has a good clean, for when you decide to check out the other side of the tracks.

and you can use headphones without connecting it to a cab.

as far as which guitar? i like used PRS SE guitars as bang for buck over epiphones generally, but that's just my preference.

good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:42 AM   #10
knockoffstrat

mostly my preference here, but as a bedroom player i find myself not even plugging in half the time.

i would grab something like a roland cube and spend the bulk of the 1k on the guitar, should have plenty left over for something nice even buying new. It's also really hard to give recs in the 500-750$ guitar range because it's just a really competitive segment where the crap doesn't survive and you're paying enough that you're just starting to get a really wide range of options.
knockoffstrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:42 AM   #11
MAChiefs

For classic rock and metal, either the Marshall DSL 40c or Blackstar HT-20 would both work, which I would lean torwards the DSL for classic rock and the HT-20 for Metal, but both amps work for either quite well.

For guitars, the ESP LTD guitars - either EC-401 or MH series would be fine. They are extra jumbo frets, which you may want to try first as it is a preference thing, but otherwise, they are solid quality for price.
MAChiefs is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: