Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-28-2015, 06:01 PM   #1
scottinpa40

Question about guitar tuning

Hi, I wanted to get opinions on keeping a guitar in tune. I have a Charvel Desolation Soloist, a Charvel Skatecaster and a Jackson DKXT Dinky, all 3 have fixed bridges. I have had them setup at a local guitar shop and all have new strings that I have stretched out well. Over the last few months, I've noticed that all 3 will lose their tune after a few days of them not being played. I keep 2 of them hanging on my wall and the other in a case in my closet. I know that temperature changes can affect the tuning but I don't think that's an issue. Does anyone know what the tuning problem could possibly be? I've read where some people tune their guitars after they play and when they pick it up the next day or a few days later, the guitar is still in tune. I can't figure out why all 3 of mine won't stay in tune and maybe it's normal to have to retune after a few days? The 2 Charvel's also have locking tuners and as a mentioned, they were setup. Thanks for any help!

-Scott
scottinpa40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:08 PM   #2
Tony Done

it sounds quite normal to me. Some necks are more stable than others, I think it's just the luck of the draw. I've had a guitar - a Baby Taylor - that went drastically out of tune over a period of a day or two, while the lap steels hold their tuning for weeks.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:03 PM   #3
dthmtl3

I would imagine that it has more to do with the strings than with the guitars. Do you use the same brand/kind of string on all three guitars?
dthmtl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:16 PM   #4
dspellman

It's because you're hanging them.

Yeah, that's the ticket.
Yeah, because you're hanging them.
Keep them in the case and they'll be in perfect peeyotch, beeyotch.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:25 PM   #5
Paleo Pete

I've never hung a guitar on the wall, but that might be affecting it.

Always tune up to the pitch you need, never down. That removes all stretch that might be an issue and eliminates strings getting bound in the nut slots. Even after strings are well stretched, lowering the pitch leaves a possibility the string can still drop out of pitch and increases the possibility it can get in a bind in the nut slot and lose tuning first time you stretch a string. It can also gradually change when not in use.

2 degrees temperature change will throw tuning off.

Too many wraps on the tuning post will let the wraps stretch. I cut my strings about 1 1/2 inch past the tuning post, that leaves about 2 wraps max, my guitars all stay in tune quite well when not in use. Onstage temperature changes drive me crazy, sometimes a guitar won't last the whole set. I've brought my Takamine acoustic to practice after not touching it for 2 weeks and only had very minor tuning changes to make, sometimes none at all. I've used that method for stringing my guitars for 30 years with no problems, my main tuning problem is temperature. Sometimes at home I don't have to retune for a week or more.

Get some guitar stands, or start using them if you have them already, tune correctly, up to the note you need not down, and see if you have better results. I also highly recommend stringing guitars the way I described above, it's been serving me very well for a long time.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:40 PM   #6
scottinpa40

Thanks for the help. I have Ernie Ball Slinky .09-.042 on 2 of them and D'Addario XL120 .09-.42 on the other. I will start putting them on stands instead of hanging them and tune the way you described Paleo Pete.
scottinpa40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM   #7
Fretboard Phil

I have eleven guitars hanging in my music room and they all stay in tune for weeks at a time. Your detuning is more likely to be from changes in temperature and humidity.
Fretboard Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:50 AM   #8
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretboard Phil
I have eleven guitars hanging in my music room and they all stay in tune for weeks at a time. Your detuning is more likely to be from changes in temperature and humidity.

+1

hanging causing a guitar to go out of tune is bullshit. i am in a different house right now, i had 13 hangers up in my last house, now just four, but haven't got to the others yet (i have 16 hangers now) then most will be up.

my teles are hung ATM, i don't think i have tuned any of them in a week and they are still in tune. they are all american (USA STD 52AVRI Plus v II) no problem whatsoever. they are on a block wall.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Malekko 616 LOFI
Klone
Wampler Ego Compressor
Earthquaker Devices Ghost
Whammy 5

and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:46 PM   #9
keJipoo

Just grab your strings and pull them slowly, and with some oomph, away from your guitar body.

Strings natrually stretch so you pulling them lets the easy slack out.

This will keep your strings in tuning longer while not playing. And more importantly WHILE you are playing.

My Epiphone Sheraton hasn't been tuned in a month and it is pitch perfect after abusing it something fierce. Lots of bends and more pick attack than the thing was even meant to see.

Last edited by keJipoo : Today at 02:35 PM.
keJipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:25 PM   #10
dspellman

Sorry, I was kidding -- hanging really doesn't necessarily account for tuning changes (though it can).
There are a lot of factors that will toss your guitar out of tune, which is why you see arena guitar players swapping out guitars in the middle of a set and why the guitar techs they employ are at the back of the stage retuning them. It's why we have tuners on stage, it's why we have little clip-on tuners on the guitar headstocks, etc.

Strings warm up as we play them due to finger tip heat, then they cool down. We stretch them when we bend, they slide across nut slots and saddles, etc. If you have a single string that's consistently going out of tune while you play, you'll want to check that the winds on the wound strings themselves aren't coming undone, that it's not hanging up in the aforementioned slots or saddles, that you don't have loose winds on the tuners, etc.

If you *are* hanging your guitars and you have strings that are going out of tune overnight, you might want to check what the temperature and humidity changes are in that room over a period of time. The same will apply to guitars on stands; they're immediately susceptible to temp and humidity changes. Stored in a case, the guitars will experience these changes far more slowly.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:49 PM   #11
keJipoo

Another question

What strings are you using?

Nm...found it in the post.

Ernie Balls are kinda prone to falling out of tune but Daddarios shouldn't have any issues.

You said you stretched them well. How did you do this? What was your method?

Last edited by keJipoo : Today at 02:55 PM.
keJipoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: