Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old Today, 02:30 PM   #1
M1Machete

Which one is better?

I have saved up enough to get a guitar, problem is, I don't know which one is better. I'm stuck between a LH B.C. Rich Exotic Classic Mockingbird and an LH Eastwood Hi-Flyer Phase 4, like the one Kurt Cobain used in the Heart-Shaped Box video. I know these guitars are both pretty different but I'm fairly new to guitar playing (about a year or so). What are the pros and cons of these guitars? I like the shape and look of the Mockingbird, especially with spalted maple, but I also really like the Hi-Flyer. Anyone have any experience with these? I'd like to get an actual review and not those really cheesy reviews made by some kid who just got his first guitar a week ago. Thank you!
M1Machete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:35 PM   #2
Roc8995

Sounds like you're picking them based on how they look. Don't do that.

What amp do you have? What do you want to sound like? Why are you getting a new guitar now if you're still not sure what you require, beyond something that you saw in a video?

New guitars are always fun but I'd suggest waiting until you can really pinpoint what you want in features and tone. Early on it's easy to get caught up in window-shopping for stuff that looks cool and you might end up with a bunch of stuff that doesn't fit you at all.
Old Today, 02:37 PM   #3
monwobobbo

never played the Eastwood so can't comment on that. as for the BC Rich it is a really good guitar. very well made and the stock pickups are decent. wouldn't say it was perfect for playing Nirvana but would work. the necks are kinda on the wide side so be aware of that. my main humbucker guitar is a BCR Eagle that is very similar to the mockingbird you mentioned. I'm looking for either a mockingbird or a bich from that series myself.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:48 PM   #4
M1Machete

I honestly don't have much in the way of gear, I have a lefty SX RST strat style guitar and an SX amp that I got last year for around $150. It's not bad but I wanted to get something different. Nirvana is my favorite band and I'd love to have a guitar that had their kind of sound, but the only left handed guitars that Kurt used I could find were those Jaguars and Mustangs that go for $1,000 or more. The best guitar I know of in my price range that had the Nirvana sound was the Hi-Flyer. I was also interested in a Mockingbird. I like the mockingbird for its shape, wood and finish, and from the reviews I've seen it has pretty good sound. I like the Hi-Flyer for its tone, and it seems like the kind of guitar I would want for the grunge-y sound I'm looking for. I'm leaning towards the High-Flyer but I thought I'd ask for other's input on it.
M1Machete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:15 PM   #5
monwobobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Machete
I honestly don't have much in the way of gear, I have a lefty SX RST strat style guitar and an SX amp that I got last year for around $150. It's not bad but I wanted to get something different. Nirvana is my favorite band and I'd love to have a guitar that had their kind of sound, but the only left handed guitars that Kurt used I could find were those Jaguars and Mustangs that go for $1,000 or more. The best guitar I know of in my price range that had the Nirvana sound was the Hi-Flyer. I was also interested in a Mockingbird. I like the mockingbird for its shape, wood and finish, and from the reviews I've seen it has pretty good sound. I like the Hi-Flyer for its tone, and it seems like the kind of guitar I would want for the grunge-y sound I'm looking for. I'm leaning towards the High-Flyer but I thought I'd ask for other's input on it.

pretty sure you can find some higher end Squier guitars that would fit the bill. guitar shape has little to do with the sound though. kurt's amp etc had more to do with the sound than the guitar. he put humbuckers into those guitars so his didn't sound anything like the originals did. while I prefer the BC Rich I think that a fender style guitar with at least a humbucker in the bridge would be better for you. don't sweat the shape as much as the features

oops you're a lefty. not much from Squier except strat or tele.

Last edited by monwobobbo : Today at 03:24 PM.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:04 PM   #6
badfish_lewis

I'd go with a strat, it's more versatile imo
badfish_lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:26 PM   #7
Tallwood13

never go with a strat. There is such little sustain and fullness to the tone. Telecasters on the other hand are great but I'm sick and tired of everyone going with strats its the most unoriginal choice ever.

try both and see. I'm a big bc rich fan because you tend to stand out with them but it's hard ot make a decision without playing the guitars.
Tallwood13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:35 PM   #8
T00DEEPBLUE
Freaky Alien Genotype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallwood13
never go with a strat. There is such little sustain and fullness to the tone. Telecasters on the other hand are great but I'm sick and tired of everyone going with strats its the most unoriginal choice ever.

T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:39 PM   #9
Roc8995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallwood13

I wouldn't try to tell someone else to avoid strats just because they're popular. Then turning around and saying a tele is fine?

Plus, a decent strat with a proper setup should sound and sustain just fine. Certainly as well as a Tele. You don't have to like strats but your reasons for saying to "never" get one are bad.

I'm starting to think that you might not have ever played a strat, or maybe just one or two? Yesterday you were saying they were all 24.75" scale, now today you come out with some more silly "strat facts"? It's fine to dislike a guitar, but you can do that without making completely bizarre claims about them.
Old Today, 04:39 PM   #10
Cajundaddy

Cobain mostly played Fender so if you are going for his sound, Fender is a good place to start. Being a lefty, choices are somewhat limited but you can always invert a RH guitar and play it like Hendrix did.

With guitars and amps there is no "best". It's all personal preference but within that spectrum there are certainly some eagles and there are some turkeys. Go play some guitars and trust your hands and your ears. They tend to be more reliable than us faceless forum jokers.
Old Today, 04:42 PM   #11
Cajundaddy

Yep, Tallwood13 was the Fender "expert" who thought a Strat was 24.75 scale because he saw one listed that way on Craigslist. So noted. Probably never even played one.

Rate This Thread: