Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-04-2016, 03:31 PM   #1
grim1
Yes i like Winger.

Pickups for 12 string electric

A while back I purchased a Schecter CSH-12. The pickups that the guitar came with are "Duncan Designed" humbuckers. They are not so bad, but I know that there are better out there, but just really don't know which pickup to choose.

The guitar has push/pull pots to split the humbuckers and so this is a consideration, the pickups that will go into the guitar need to sound good split as well.

I typically don't use any distortion when using this guitar, so the pickups need to be great clean.

For music tastes it's mostly 80s metal, with a bunch of "hair metal" thrown in for good measure( so think ballad type stuff). I play through a Marshall JCM TSL100, Mesa Mini Rec or a Fender Blues Jr(tweed version).

So what do you think? As far as budget goes, I'm not opposed to spending money, but don't want to spend more than the guitar is worth, don't care if used or new.
grim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:39 PM   #2
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Tesla VR Extremes are very 80s-ish. For more options, you might also consider the Lace Alumitones or Alumitone Deathbuckers, or Rio Grande Dirty Harry HBs.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Quote:
alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:50 PM   #3
grim1
Yes i like Winger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Tesla VR Extremes are very 80s-ish. For more options, you might also consider the Lace Alumitones or Alumitone Deathbuckers, or Rio Grande Dirty Harry HBs.

Thanks, i'll check out the Extremes, as far as Rio Grande goes, I've actually got a set of Crunchbox/Punchbox in one of my other guitars, maybe I should just pull those out of that one and put them into my 12string.
grim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:02 PM   #4
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Just as a FYI, the Alumitones are about as clean a pickup as I've heard, so if that's what you want, they might be ideal.

The custom winders at Vintage Vibe and The Creamery also make splittable HBs that sound great clean, and Lollar has a rep for that, too.

If you want to get into that classic Rickenbacker/Gretsch 12-string twang, try TV Jones out. A local luthier made this stupendous-sounding T-body 12:
http://hitoneguitars.com/myportfoli...g-archtop-tele/

Quote:
alhaq369

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 05-04-2016 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:16 PM   #5
Evilnine
Diabolus in Musica

US

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Just as a FYI, the Alumitones are about as clean a pickup as I've heard, so if that's what you want, they might be ideal.

The custom winders at Vintage Vibe and The Creamery also make splittable HBs that sound great clean, and Lollar has a rep for that, too.

If you want to get into that classic Rickenbacker/Gretsch 12-string twang, try TV Jones out. A local luthier made this stupendous-sounding T-body 12:
http://hitoneguitars.com/myportfoli...g-archtop-tele/

+1 for TV Jones
Time for primal concrete sledge

Evilnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:22 PM   #6
dspellman

Mine has very standard (for '67) Gibson pickups on a 335 body. Richer and more full-bodied than a Rik (less jangle), these are pretty close to PAFs.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:42 PM   #7
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

A good P90 can sound party damn awesome in a 12. Here's an example:

So you might also try a HB-sized P90 from your pickup winder of choice. Rio Grande, Lollar, Vintage Vibe, The Creamery, and others have some tasty ones. I liked the Bareknuckle Mississippi Queen, Supermassive and Stockholm, too. Yes, this means the push/pull pots wouldn't be doing any coil splitting, but perhaps they could be repurposed for something else.

Quote:
alhaq369

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 05-04-2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM   #8
Mincer

I would steer towards something with lower output, and scooped, open, clean & clear sound. !2 strings can get really congested in the mids.

Rate This Thread: