View Poll Results: Jackson v Dean v Ibanez - Best low-ends
Jackson JS32 series 4 16.00%
Dean ML/Dave Mustaine V 2 8.00%
Ibanez RG series 14 56.00%
ukelele 7 28.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2015, 12:32 PM   #1
arvarna

Pot JACKSON v DEAN v IBANEZ - Low-end METAL?

Hey babes,

I'm considering blowing under $500 on an electric g, since I play bass I'm only looking for good value for price low-end stuff.

This is what caught my attention so far (links for pics at bottom):

- the Ibanez RG421 (approx $370)

- the Jackson JS32T Rhoads and JS32T King V (approx $390)

- the Dean Razorback DB or Dave Mustaine Signature V ($360DB - $470V)

I've played a lot on these names for the bass but never their guitars, so I've no idea how much effort they've put into their low-end affordable products. If you've played any of these I'd appreciate your recommendation or input, or if you have knowledge in general on what brand's low-ends are more efficient/reliable let me hear what you have to say. I'm also open to checking out new recommendations on a guitar <$500.

Thank you!

Links:
Ibanez RG421: http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-an...ahogany-Oil/WVD
Jackson JS32T Rhoads: http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-an...uitar-White/ZI0
Jackson JS32T King V: http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-an...Gloss-Black/ZHS
DeanRazorback DB: http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-an...assic-Black/FSR
Dean Dave Mustaine SV: http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-an...uitar-Black/FRP or http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-an...Abomination/FRN
Old 07-31-2015, 12:44 PM   #2
Dinglebuttz

I'm no expert, but the Dean Abomination V you linked is the only one with a Mahogany body which is a better wood than the basswood on the other models. It also has Grover tuners which are nice. For those prices, I would choose that, as long as you like the graphic.

It also comes with some free stuff as well (though those shouldn't make the sell haha).

Edit: Just noticed the Ibanez is different then the one I thought it was. The Ibanez is the best option from those listed.

Last edited by Dinglebuttz : 07-31-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Dinglebuttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:53 PM   #3
T00DEEPBLUE
UG Nerd

Ibanez. The 421 is a lot more consistently made than the others you've listed.

Are you willing to go used?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglebuttz at #33526354
I'm no expert, but the Dean Abomination V you linked is the only one with a Mahogany body which is a better wood than the basswood on the other models.

Don't mention it. We already knew from the rest of the sentence that you really don't know what you're talking about.

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 07-31-2015 at 12:58 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:56 PM   #4
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

I have 2 Deans that I love, but I'd go with Ibanez over most of the other brands out there for sub-$500 metal guitars.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:10 PM   #5
Dinglebuttz

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Ibanez. The 421 is a lot more consistently made than the others you've listed.

Are you willing to go used?

Don't mention it. We already knew from the rest of the sentence that you really don't know what you're talking about.

I appreciate your opinion on the Ibanez, but there is really no reason to be condescending towards me. I'm well aware that low end Dean's are frowned upon, but overall, mahogany wood is a better wood than basswood.

However, I would use his advice and look in the used department as well. You can probably find a lot better guitar for the money.

Edit: Just noticed the Ibanez in the link is different then the one I was thinking of. It is definitely the best of those options. Forget my Dean suggestion. I'd still look around at used ones though.

Last edited by Dinglebuttz : 07-31-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:23 PM   #6
T00DEEPBLUE
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglebuttz at #33526387
I appreciate your opinion on the Ibanez, but there is really no reason to be condescending towards me. I'm well aware that low end Dean's are frowned upon, but overall, mahogany wood is a better wood than basswood.

The reason I was being condescending because this statement is ignorant and it prompts the beating of a dead horse.

Basswood is no worse of a material to make a guitar from than mahogany. It's just different. And even if they are different, the material a body is made from really doesn't matter very much whatsoever when it comes to electric guitars. The only notable differences are the weight and how prone the wood is to dents.

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 07-31-2015 at 01:25 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:33 PM   #7
Dinglebuttz

Quote:
The reason I was being condescending because this statement is ignorant and it prompts the beating of a dead horse.

Basswood is no worse of a material to make a guitar from than mahogany. It's just different. And even if they are different, the material a body is made from really doesn't matter very much whatsoever when it comes to electric guitars. The only notable differences are the weight and how prone the wood is to dents.

I should have added an "In my opinion" onto that statement. I prefer mahogany over basswood personally since it gives a slightly warmer tone. I also prefer heavier guitars, but again, purely a personal preference. Sorry for beating a dead horse lol.

I did edit my original post to choose the Ibanez though, I was thinking of the Gio series when I read the first post. The RG421 is the best choice listed, and thanks for encouraging me to look it up to correct my mistake.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:37 PM   #8
arvarna

Thanks for the input, I'm glad you mentioned the Ibanez it was the one I thought would be better for reliability, the others looked so metal they baited my consideration.

I was thinking about going used but I haven't come across anything good yet from UK dealers. I haven't seen crazy good deals for great guitars at my price range, or even low-ends. and I don't want to pay expensive shipment fees from international dealers. I'm in no hurry so I'll still be looking around on ebay and gumtree, but for now the $370 421 is my best price-value option.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:39 PM   #9
metalmingee

At $500 I'd look for a used Jackson DKMG (with Floyd) or DKMGT (without Floyd). Guitar Center has a bunch for your price range.

You can also get some decent used Ibanez RG models for that price or just slightly above. Look for used Prestige Models or search for used RG1570 as a starting point.
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)

Amps:
Mesa Roadster 212 Combo
Peavey 5150 212 Combo with V30s
Peavey Vypyr 30
metalmingee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:45 PM   #10
dthmtl3

I'd wait to get $50 more and buy a Jackson SLX, a fine mid-range guitar.
dthmtl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:12 PM   #11
pantallica87
Schecter Wh0re

The ibanez would be my choice out of those 3. IMO you can get a much better guitar for that money from schecter. Just a suggestion tho...
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50> Boss TU-3> Dunlop Orignal Crybaby> Ibanez TS-9> MXR Smart Gate> Digitech Turbo Flange> MXR Black Label Chorus> MXR Carbon Copy
pantallica87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:14 PM   #12
troydewinter

I'm a Jackson guy myself, but those JS series are awful. I really don't recommend them. They feel like plastic and play like a six stringed boomstick. It's good enough to throw it in a bonfire, but for playing or recording guitar along with your bass, nope!

I would recommend the X series or if you have a bigger budget the Pro Series from Jackson. I got my Pro Series RR3 in 2008 and besides some minor and easy solvable issues with the electronics, it still rips ;-)
troydewinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:16 PM   #13
slapsymcdougal
UG Bored King

FWIW, I have an S770 with the same humbuckers as the RG421(it has a single coil in mid as well), and the Wizard III neck. The pickups sound pretty good, and the neck plays really nicely.

The S521 is a bit more expensive than the RG, but it's basically the same, with the S series body shape, so it's lightweight and really comfortable.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:55 PM   #14
player o slayer

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-Used-Jackson-DKMGT-Black-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-111251238-i4409750.gc?country=us&currency=usd&isfullsite=1&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKEAjwueytBRCmpOyZ2L-xrG8SJADwH5c6ClxqjPKhECKM7uHvgml7gburNitilnHqLGD1H AvoOxoCVzHw_wcB&kwid=productads-plaid^134293105242-sku^111251238@ADL1U@ADL4GC-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^66736785762

I have one of these with a tune-o-matic bridge and i love it to death. Alder body, Active emgs, maple (i think) neck and rosewood fretboard. Plays like a dream, and i did the 18v mod to the pickups and it sounds really good too.

My old roommate has an rg421 with swapped out KFK EMGS, and i never really loved the feel, or sound. Its not a bad guitar, but i wouldn't compare it to my Jackson which cost about the same.

When it comes to wood type, i would say the cheaper the wood, the worse it is no matter what type. cheap mahogany will sound "worse" than quality basswood etc..

Another word of advice is, in my experience, "stock" pickups that come from the same brand as the guitar, usually aren't great. Jackson, ibanez etc..branded pickups on low end instruments are usually made with budget in mind. Thats not always the case though. I have a prestige ibanez RGD with Ibanez branded pickups that are awesome.

The best advice i can give is to hit a music shop if possible, and play around for a few hours. Always consider used gear.

Last edited by player o slayer : 07-31-2015 at 02:59 PM.
player o slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:59 AM   #15
GraceByDeath

Just gonna point out this one's on sale. THE most bang for your buck at $400 I've ever seen. EMG 81/85, ebony fingerboard, 1000 Series Floyd, Neck through, Grover tuners, and "top" it all off with a Quilted Maple top...Never played one myself and I don't did glossed necks, but this appears pretty incredible. http://www.rondomusic.com/INTEPRO625ebemgbkqlt.html

Things are better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
GraceByDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:13 AM   #16
trashedlostfdup
likes hamuckers.

Quote:

totally sig'd.

i would look for either an:

-ibanez prestige (may have to drop a few more $$$)

-jackson DKMG/DKMGT, or another MIJ model.

-a charvel so-cal. MIJ

Quote:
...We already knew from the rest of the sentence that you really don't know what you're talking about.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM   #17
TheLiberation

I'm pretty sure a thread about lower-end guitars for metal without any mention of Schecter has no right to exist.

A fairly important question I think is whether you're fine with/like active pickups, but either way, two interesting options to consider imo, both around $400 new I think:
Demon (active pickups) - http://schecterguitars.com/internat.../demon-6-detail - I've owned a 7-string version of this one for two years, and I think the pickups might be the best stock pickups in this price range. They sound ****ing MASSIVE while being more than usable for clean/low-gain sounds. (Very bright though, but I like that.)
Omen Extreme (passive pickups) - http://schecterguitars.com/internat...tive/o-0-detail - never got to play an Extreme, but I played a regular Omen (which is slightly cheaper), and it's very solid very much like the Demon.

Generally I think they're more than solid for this price range, and you can mod them later if you want to. Schecter also has a reputation for very decent QC even for the cheaper models. The only note is that Schecters have slightly thicker necks than Ibanez, but they're pretty reasonable medium thickness.

If you're fine with used and you're fine with EMG pickups (which tend to be love-or-hate), you might want to look for a Damien Elite, which is apparently a bit over $500 new, so a used one should be just within range:
http://schecterguitars.com/internat...-elite-6-detail

And if you're really lucky, you might even find a used Hellraiser or Blackjack, and those are pretty much solid midrange workhorse guitars.
TheLiberation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:06 AM   #18
jozef2451

What about Cort guitars? I want to get KX5 as my first axe. Some people say that it's incredible for the price.
jozef2451 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: