Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-17-2015, 09:15 AM   #1
Electric Devil

Guitar detuning itself

i've noticed everytime i tune my ibanez gio by the time i get halfwy done tuning the high e string the rest have detuned then i have to tune it again (about 3 times) for it to stay in tune,it's a real pain in the ass
im thinking about getting some locking tuners.anybody think my problem is the tuners?
Electric Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:05 PM   #2
youssefnkamal

The problem isn't with the tuners, the thing is when you tune you increase the tension on the strings which slightly curves the neck relaxing the other strings, it also pulls on the floyd rose bridge. Nothing is wrong with your guitar, it's the way it's supposed to do that.
youssefnkamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:07 PM   #3
youssefnkamal

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/revi...tars/ibanez/gio
Apparently this guitar has some tuning issues as well so idk seems like your issue is worse than the rest of us.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:20 PM   #4
Papabear505

Yep.. Nature of the beast trying to tune a guitar with a tremolo... Any tremolo...
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Papabear505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:33 PM   #5
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy

Also doesn't help your guitar is not the most spectacular either. If you find it happening too much tighten the springs a little.

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Line 6 POD HD500
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
TheStig1214 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:30 PM   #6
Electric Devil

Thanks for the replies guys i wish i knew this guitar sucked before im not too worried since i got it for $35 on craigslist,i did manage to swap out the pickups and adjust the tremelo though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig1214
Also doesn't help your guitar is not the most spectacular either. If you find it happening too much tighten the springs a little.

the springs on the tremelo are fine my problem is whenever i want to any kind of tuning like a half step,Drop d or standard tuning the guitar doesnt want to stay tune

Last edited by Electric Devil : 01-17-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:35 PM   #7
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

you can't drop tune or change with a floating trem without major problems. Just leave it tuned as it is, drop or whatever it was setup for
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:10 PM   #8
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Devil
i've noticed everytime i tune my ibanez gio by the time i get halfwy done tuning the high e string the rest have detuned then i have to tune it again (about 3 times) for it to stay in tune,it's a real pain in the ass
im thinking about getting some locking tuners.anybody think my problem is the tuners?

You're wasting money on locking tuners to fix that issue. Your tuners are just fine.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:12 PM   #9
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys i wish i knew this guitar sucked before im not too worried since i got it for $35 on craigslist,i did manage to swap out the pickups and adjust the tremelo though.

the springs on the tremelo are fine my problem is whenever i want to any kind of tuning like a half step,Drop d or standard tuning the guitar doesnt want to stay tune

Yeah but if you tighten up the springs then the floating trem adds more resistance to the strings falling out of tune.

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Line 6 POD HD500
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
TheStig1214 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:20 PM   #10
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:

Same happens with my Charvel and any other tremolo equipped guitar. It's just physics. It has nothing to do with your guitar. You always need to tune the (tremolo equipped) guitar several times when you change tuning because when you tune one string down, it changes the tension and the other strings go up (because the tension change causes the bridge to tilt a bit). That's just how it goes. This is why when you break a string on a tremolo bridge, you go out of tune. The tension change causes the other strings to go out of tune. When you tune down, the same thing is happening - the tension changes.

And yeah, your tremolo can only be perfectly set up for one tuning.

Drop D shouldn't be a major problem, but even dropping one string down a whole step will cause the other strings to go up a bit. That's just how it is, there's nothing you can do about it (other than block your tremolo).

I would suggest sticking with one tuning on guitars that have a tremolo bridge. If you want to change tuning, use another guitar.

So the problem is not your guitar going out of tune and it can't be fixed (unless you block the tremolo). But if the guitar went out of tune when you played it (and not while tuning it), then you would have a problem.

BTW, is it a standard tremolo or Floyd Rose? Because if it's a Floyd Rose, changing tuners would have no effect on anything.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 01-17-2015 at 05:24 PM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:27 PM   #11
Virgman

Make sure you stretch your strings a few times if you haven't done so.

And it's just like MaggaraMarine said. You can't change tunings on a trem without going through the whole process each time.

There's nothing wrong with your guitar. Get a separate guitar if you need another tuning.
Virgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:50 PM   #12
youssefnkamal

These people are all right, I had a strat (which obviously had a tremolo bridge) and I ghetto locked it by tightening the strings so that moving it would be impractical, it also helped with my tunings! Cheers mate!
Old 01-18-2015, 07:53 PM   #13
Electric Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig1214
Yeah but if you tighten up the springs then the floating trem adds more resistance to the strings falling out of tune.

i did tighten the trem springs there ws a video guide i found on these forums about doing that which i followed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
Same happens with my Charvel and any other tremolo equipped guitar. It's just physics. It has nothing to do with your guitar. You always need to tune the (tremolo equipped) guitar several times when you change tuning because when you tune one string down, it changes the tension and the other strings go up (because the tension change causes the bridge to tilt a bit). That's just how it goes. This is why when you break a string on a tremolo bridge, you go out of tune. The tension change causes the other strings to go out of tune. When you tune down, the same thing is happening - the tension changes.

And yeah, your tremolo can only be perfectly set up for one tuning.

Drop D shouldn't be a major problem, but even dropping one string down a whole step will cause the other strings to go up a bit. That's just how it is, there's nothing you can do about it (other than block your tremolo).

I would suggest sticking with one tuning on guitars that have a tremolo bridge. If you want to change tuning, use another guitar.

So the problem is not your guitar going out of tune and it can't be fixed (unless you block the tremolo). But if the guitar went out of tune when you played it (and not while tuning it), then you would have a problem.

BTW, is it a standard tremolo or Floyd Rose? Because if it's a Floyd Rose, changing tuners would have no effect on anything.

It's a standard tremolo.man that sucks the fact it stays in tune for one tuning.Im actually thinking of blocking the trem with a piece of wood since i never really use it.

Last edited by Electric Devil : 01-18-2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:04 PM   #14
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Yeah. If you don't use it, block it. It will be more stable that way and you can change tunings without needing to retune all the strings many times

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:57 AM   #15
Electric Devil

so i've blocked off the trem it made a difference,now i just noticed this guitar has some shitty sustain

Last edited by Electric Devil : 01-25-2015 at 04:07 AM.
Old Today, 05:59 PM   #16
Electric Devil

insted of making another thread i was wondering if anybody could help me out with a fret buzzing issue i've had for awhile with this guitar
All the strings are fine except for the low E and and A string anything past the 17th fret buzzes
Old Today, 07:27 PM   #17
J_W

You can't just go tightening the springs, if you do that it pulls the trem back. It needs to sit level to work properly. The string buzzing is probably because you're trem isn't set up properly. The pic you posted the springs are way uneven, they should be even not screwed way in on only one side.

Last edited by J_W : Today at 07:29 PM.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:58 PM   #18
arv1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_W
You can't just go tightening the springs, if you do that it pulls the trem back. It needs to sit level to work properly. The string buzzing is probably because you're trem isn't set up properly. The pic you posted the springs are way uneven, they should be even not screwed way in on only one side.

Very much this ^^^

As for changing the tuning and changing broken strings etc I suggest you invest in a Tremol-no and put it in Dive Only Mode. Will make life A LOT easier.
arv1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: