Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-19-2014, 09:09 AM   #1
K33nbl4d3
Not sorry.

Fell in love with a secondhand LTD - should I date her?

I spied a secondhand ESP LTD F-250 on the wall in a shop today (that'll be one of these: http://www.rhapsody.fr/images/produ...50-F250-BLK.jpg only in sparkly silver) for 199 (apparently the RRP's around 500 - should that scare me off? Or am I getting it mixed up with another model?) and, after playing it, found I enjoyed it a fair bit. I have to say the neck-thru construction impressed me a fair bit at that price, everything seemed to work quite nicely (though I'd've raised the action a little, myself, but I digress...) and I'm tempted to put a deposit on it, since I'm sure I'll be able to afford it by the end of the year.

But I feel like there must be a catch. Will the licensed Floyd Rose (I feel like I just said a bad word...) only behave itself until we're married? Are the pickups garbage? ("EMG-ESP LH-301" if that means anything to anyone) Maybe I have a really bad concept of value, or maybe everyone playing a guitar like that looks ridiculous.

I feel a bit silly wanting to buy a guitar on a Romeo & Juliet kind of basis, and I'm told they've had it in the shop since July (again, I feel like this may just be because nobody wants a sparkly silver guitar?), but I can't find anything wrong with it and I liked it a lot.

In short: Secondhand ESP LTD F-250 for 199 without any obvious issues. Is it really a steal? Should I go for it?

J-rock is the shiz.

Last edited by K33nbl4d3 : 10-19-2014 at 09:12 AM.
K33nbl4d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
N_J_B_B
Nicko.

I can't comment on value becuase I'm not sure on the UK climate but if it feels good, the actions is clearly good (providing there are no buzz/dead spots), the fit and finish is good I'd go for it.

Feel is always more important on an instrument.

If you're not familiar with setting up a floyd you soon will be though.

Stay classy, pit.
N_J_B_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
mjones1992

Used to have an LTD F-50. As far as lower-mid range guitars go, they're pretty wonderful and play like butter (or at least mine did).

Totally go for it if you're liking it. I don't personally like FR (too much work), but if that's not an issue for you, I don't think you'd be unhappy with that guitar.

I did end up changing my pickups out but I was also young and didn't understand the concept of setting them up properly. Generally LTDs have pretty 'eh' pickups though.

Anyway, that can be changed down the road.

Please do yourself a favor and try it out first though. For a while...

Also, I would imagine they've had it for so long because of the shape (weird and kind of 15-year-old metal wannabe) rather than it's color or playability If you like it though, there's no reason not to pull the trigger.

Last edited by mjones1992 : 10-19-2014 at 11:54 AM.
mjones1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:00 PM   #4
K33nbl4d3
Not sorry.

Sounds like a decent buy, then. I know enough to know Floyd Roses are a bit of work and I think I'm prepared for that.

As for pickups, I doubt I'll be playing it through a decent amp for a while anyway, so my Marshall MG will be a much more limiting factor.

I did try it, but obviously I'm going to do so again a bit more observantly before I put the deposit on it next week.

As for shape, that's more or less what made me notice the thing - it resembles the ESPs of MiA from Mejibray and Aoi from the Gazette. I'll look like a moron whatever I play so I might as well go flamboyant

J-rock is the shiz.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:07 PM   #5
jds2

I was killing some time in the local Guitar Center and played a used LTD F-100m. I was surprised how much I liked it. I had never played an ESP before and thought it was a pretty nice instrument. They want $149 for it. I'm almost hoping someone else picks it up so the temptation disappears.
jds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM   #6
klejst

Opinions are nice but are that of others, I always say if YOU like (or really like) something then you should get it! (Of course if you're able to afford it, etc.)
klejst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM   #7
K33nbl4d3
Not sorry.

Seems like everything's more or less "go ahead", though obviously that's provided everything seems to function right when I give it a proper look on Sunday.

My only big concern, then, remains the Floyd. I know licensed Floyds have a pretty bad reputation in some places - though varying by company - and I don't get the impression ESP LTD ones are considered to be anything special. Should I fear? I guess if worst comes to worst I can tremol-no it but it'd be nice to be able to divebomb.

J-rock is the shiz.

Rate This Thread: