Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old Today, 02:33 PM   #1
JellyJiggler

Help Measuring Stratocaster for Tremolo Arm

A little background info: Sometime last year I asked UG to help identify this guitar, that I obtained from a family friend, and the estimate was a roughly 80s Strat that's been modified or a partscaster. The bridge has the Fender "F" on it, and on the underside it says "Made in Germany" if that helps.

I plan on ordering an arm from Guitarfetish, assuming they are decent quality. (If you have experience with them, let me know.)

Anyone know any tips for figuring this out? I believe I have something to measure the size of circles somewhere in my garage if that can be used, but I'll have to look. (Can't think of what it's called right now)

Any other tips? Or, by some miracle, anyone know the size off the top of their head?

(The Guitar in question)

Thanks!

PS. If this is the wrong subforum, I'm very sorry! I don't use the UG forums much.
JellyJiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:45 PM   #2
Roc8995
electron herder

Wow! That's quite an interesting body shape.

Bridge looks very much like an 80s Fender USA or MIJ "System II" or "Freefylte" bridge.

The bad news is that I think they both used fairly unusual pop-in bars. You may need to find one on eBay or from a custom shop that makes their own:
http://www.stratcat.biz/4027-freeflyte.shtml

Verify which exact bridge you have (post higher-res pictures here if you need help) before ordering, but I don't think you'll be able to just buy a standard pop-in arm and have it work, though given the price difference it might be worth a try.

If it were me I'd think about tossing a new trem unit on there instead of wrestling with that one. It's a bit of a dinosaur.

Try something new

Roc8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:08 PM   #3
JellyJiggler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Wow! That's quite an interesting body shape.

Bridge looks very much like an 80s Fender USA or MIJ "System II" or "Freefylte" bridge.

The bad news is that I think they both used fairly unusual pop-in bars. You may need to find one on eBay or from a custom shop that makes their own:
http://www.stratcat.biz/4027-freeflyte.shtml

Verify which exact bridge you have (post higher-res pictures here if you need help) before ordering, but I don't think you'll be able to just buy a standard pop-in arm and have it work, though given the price difference it might be worth a try.

If it were me I'd think about tossing a new trem unit on there instead of wrestling with that one. It's a bit of a dinosaur.

First, thanks for the quick response!

Secondly, damn that's sad to hear. Here's some closeup pictures (probably have it strung wrong, lol)

Also, if it's any help, I found my measurement tool and the hole itself seems to be roughly 5mm or 5.5mm in size.

I hope it's not in need of a special arm, at least one that isn't relatively expensive, because I'm on a bit of a budget. If it does happen to be one, Honestly unsure whether I'll change the bridge out or not. I'm kind of fond of the overall shape. It just feels natural when I rest my hand on it at certain times.

Thanks for the help, though, man.
Old Today, 03:36 PM   #4
Roc8995
electron herder

That's an MIJ System II. It's supposed to be strung like this :
show

After a bit of digging it seems that the only unusual aspect on those arms was the crossbar on the arm for fitting the tension groove in the socket. I don't see any reason why you couldn't use a bar without it. My best guess (still just a guess) would be to try a pop-in bar with a detent (like this and see if it works. At $4 it's worth a try.

Try something new

Roc8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:06 PM   #5
JellyJiggler

Funnily enough, that's how I first strung it then felt like it was wrong, Should have just kept it the same.

Also, will definitely try that arm. Thanks so much for all the help, man!

Rate This Thread: