Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-17-2015, 09:15 AM   #1
Electric Devil
Registered User
 
Electric Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Guitar detuning itself

i've noticed everytime i tune my ibanez gio by the time i get halfwy done tuning the high e string the rest have detuned then i have to tune it again (about 3 times) for it to stay in tune,it's a real pain in the ass
im thinking about getting some locking tuners.anybody think my problem is the tuners?
Electric Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:05 PM   #2
youssefnkamal
Registered User
 
youssefnkamal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
The problem isn't with the tuners, the thing is when you tune you increase the tension on the strings which slightly curves the neck relaxing the other strings, it also pulls on the floyd rose bridge. Nothing is wrong with your guitar, it's the way it's supposed to do that.
youssefnkamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:07 PM   #3
youssefnkamal
Registered User
 
youssefnkamal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/revi...tars/ibanez/gio
Apparently this guitar has some tuning issues as well so idk seems like your issue is worse than the rest of us.
youssefnkamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:20 PM   #4
Papabear505
Registered User
 
Papabear505's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Yep.. Nature of the beast trying to tune a guitar with a tremolo... Any tremolo...
__________________
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Papabear505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:33 PM   #5
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy
 
TheStig1214's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Also doesn't help your guitar is not the most spectacular either. If you find it happening too much tighten the springs a little.
__________________
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Lace DB7-Alumitone 7
Ibanez IC300 w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors
Ibanez FR320

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Line 6 POD HD500
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
TheStig1214 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:30 PM   #6
Electric Devil
Registered User
 
Electric Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Thanks for the replies guys i wish i knew this guitar sucked before im not too worried since i got it for $35 on craigslist,i did manage to swap out the pickups and adjust the tremelo though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig1214
Also doesn't help your guitar is not the most spectacular either. If you find it happening too much tighten the springs a little.

the springs on the tremelo are fine my problem is whenever i want to any kind of tuning like a half step,Drop d or standard tuning the guitar doesnt want to stay tune

Last edited by Electric Devil : 01-17-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Electric Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:35 PM   #7
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .
 
Tempoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: On an Island
you can't drop tune or change with a floating trem without major problems. Just leave it tuned as it is, drop or whatever it was setup for
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:10 PM   #8
dspellman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Devil
i've noticed everytime i tune my ibanez gio by the time i get halfwy done tuning the high e string the rest have detuned then i have to tune it again (about 3 times) for it to stay in tune,it's a real pain in the ass
im thinking about getting some locking tuners.anybody think my problem is the tuners?


You're wasting money on locking tuners to fix that issue. Your tuners are just fine.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:12 PM   #9
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy
 
TheStig1214's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Devil
Thanks for the replies guys i wish i knew this guitar sucked before im not too worried since i got it for $35 on craigslist,i did manage to swap out the pickups and adjust the tremelo though.


the springs on the tremelo are fine my problem is whenever i want to any kind of tuning like a half step,Drop d or standard tuning the guitar doesnt want to stay tune


Yeah but if you tighten up the springs then the floating trem adds more resistance to the strings falling out of tune.
__________________
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Lace DB7-Alumitone 7
Ibanez IC300 w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors
Ibanez FR320

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Line 6 POD HD500
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
TheStig1214 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:20 PM   #10
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
 
MaggaraMarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Devil
i've noticed everytime i tune my ibanez gio by the time i get halfwy done tuning the high e string the rest have detuned then i have to tune it again (about 3 times) for it to stay in tune,it's a real pain in the ass
im thinking about getting some locking tuners.anybody think my problem is the tuners?

Same happens with my Charvel and any other tremolo equipped guitar. It's just physics. It has nothing to do with your guitar. You always need to tune the (tremolo equipped) guitar several times when you change tuning because when you tune one string down, it changes the tension and the other strings go up (because the tension change causes the bridge to tilt a bit). That's just how it goes. This is why when you break a string on a tremolo bridge, you go out of tune. The tension change causes the other strings to go out of tune. When you tune down, the same thing is happening - the tension changes.

And yeah, your tremolo can only be perfectly set up for one tuning.

Drop D shouldn't be a major problem, but even dropping one string down a whole step will cause the other strings to go up a bit. That's just how it is, there's nothing you can do about it (other than block your tremolo).

I would suggest sticking with one tuning on guitars that have a tremolo bridge. If you want to change tuning, use another guitar.


So the problem is not your guitar going out of tune and it can't be fixed (unless you block the tremolo). But if the guitar went out of tune when you played it (and not while tuning it), then you would have a problem.

BTW, is it a standard tremolo or Floyd Rose? Because if it's a Floyd Rose, changing tuners would have no effect on anything.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 01-17-2015 at 05:24 PM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:27 PM   #11
Virgman
Registered User
 
Virgman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Make sure you stretch your strings a few times if you haven't done so.

And it's just like MaggaraMarine said. You can't change tunings on a trem without going through the whole process each time.

There's nothing wrong with your guitar. Get a separate guitar if you need another tuning.
Virgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:50 PM   #12
youssefnkamal
Registered User
 
youssefnkamal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
These people are all right, I had a strat (which obviously had a tremolo bridge) and I ghetto locked it by tightening the strings so that moving it would be impractical, it also helped with my tunings! Cheers mate!
youssefnkamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:53 PM   #13
Electric Devil
Registered User
 
Electric Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig1214
Yeah but if you tighten up the springs then the floating trem adds more resistance to the strings falling out of tune.


i did tighten the trem springs there ws a video guide i found on these forums about doing that which i followed



Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
Same happens with my Charvel and any other tremolo equipped guitar. It's just physics. It has nothing to do with your guitar. You always need to tune the (tremolo equipped) guitar several times when you change tuning because when you tune one string down, it changes the tension and the other strings go up (because the tension change causes the bridge to tilt a bit). That's just how it goes. This is why when you break a string on a tremolo bridge, you go out of tune. The tension change causes the other strings to go out of tune. When you tune down, the same thing is happening - the tension changes.

And yeah, your tremolo can only be perfectly set up for one tuning.

Drop D shouldn't be a major problem, but even dropping one string down a whole step will cause the other strings to go up a bit. That's just how it is, there's nothing you can do about it (other than block your tremolo).

I would suggest sticking with one tuning on guitars that have a tremolo bridge. If you want to change tuning, use another guitar.


So the problem is not your guitar going out of tune and it can't be fixed (unless you block the tremolo). But if the guitar went out of tune when you played it (and not while tuning it), then you would have a problem.

BTW, is it a standard tremolo or Floyd Rose? Because if it's a Floyd Rose, changing tuners would have no effect on anything.


It's a standard tremolo.man that sucks the fact it stays in tune for one tuning.Im actually thinking of blocking the trem with a piece of wood since i never really use it.

Last edited by Electric Devil : 01-18-2015 at 08:10 PM.
Electric Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:04 PM   #14
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
 
MaggaraMarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Finland
Yeah. If you don't use it, block it. It will be more stable that way and you can change tunings without needing to retune all the strings many times
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:57 AM   #15
Electric Devil
Registered User
 
Electric Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
so i've blocked off the trem it made a difference,now i just noticed this guitar has some shitty sustain

Last edited by Electric Devil : 01-25-2015 at 04:07 AM.
Electric Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:59 PM   #16
Electric Devil
Registered User
 
Electric Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
insted of making another thread i was wondering if anybody could help me out with a fret buzzing issue i've had for awhile with this guitar
All the strings are fine except for the low E and and A string anything past the 17th fret buzzes
Electric Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:27 PM   #17
J_W
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
You can't just go tightening the springs, if you do that it pulls the trem back. It needs to sit level to work properly. The string buzzing is probably because you're trem isn't set up properly. The pic you posted the springs are way uneven, they should be even not screwed way in on only one side.

Last edited by J_W : Today at 07:29 PM.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:58 PM   #18
arv1971
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_W
You can't just go tightening the springs, if you do that it pulls the trem back. It needs to sit level to work properly. The string buzzing is probably because you're trem isn't set up properly. The pic you posted the springs are way uneven, they should be even not screwed way in on only one side.


Very much this ^^^

As for changing the tuning and changing broken strings etc I suggest you invest in a Tremol-no and put it in Dive Only Mode. Will make life A LOT easier.
arv1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:50 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2015
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.