Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-10-2013, 02:42 AM   #61
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue

Man, I'd really love to have one, but I can't justify that purchase at least for a couple of months.

It's not like I need it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
TNfootballfan62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:48 AM   #62
gregs1020
Hi mom!

the older 60s tribute studios have a satin finish and slightly thinner bodies, yes. not much thinner, maybe a 1/8-1/4 of an inch. those are price dropped to $679. but they ran specials during the holidays and were less for a while like twisty posted. the store by me still has some.

i'm speculating that the new $999 will be gloss with full body thickness like most typical studios. the gibby site prolly has the new specs, but the ad you posted didn't.

if i've ever aspired for anything...

Last edited by gregs1020 : 01-10-2013 at 02:50 AM.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:56 AM   #63
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue

Gibson has way too many models and changes them way too much. It's confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
TNfootballfan62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:03 AM   #64
twisty571

As far as I know they are still Satin and truthfully weren't any thinner than any other studio model? I had a faded studio also. The only thing I think they changed is the baked maple fretboard to rosewood and put humbuckers in the new 60's.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:24 AM   #65
AWACS
I want all of the things

Still technically a Gibson Les Paul, 1961 Gibson Les Paul Custom :

And she's all mine

Mesa Boogie Mark V PRS SE Cu24 Voltage S212 Pedals!
Dunlop CryBaby WayHuge Swollen Pickle CMATMods Signa Drive Digitech BadMonkey
Boss TU-3 TCE Corona Boss DD-6 HBE Mimic

Last edited by AWACS : 01-10-2013 at 04:27 AM.
AWACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #66
WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist

Just ordered my dream guitar. Yes, it's a Les Paul. But I'm not telling you which one. You guys are gunna cream yourselves when you see it. I've got a raging hard on just thinking about it...
Old 01-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #67
gregs1020
Hi mom!

^^ nice custom!

^ looking forward to it izzy - not a supreme by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty571
As far as I know they are still Satin and truthfully weren't any thinner than any other studio model? I had a faded studio also. The only thing I think they changed is the baked maple fretboard to rosewood and put humbuckers in the new 60's.

the 60's tribute models were a little thinner. i compared the one i had to my standard at the time.

this version is the one i'm talking about.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #68
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

I bet it's a 68ri.

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #69
Darkflame
officialBOSS pedals hater

you got rid of your '60 Greg? I was all happy knowing I had the same guitar you did =(
My band (Facebook)
My band (Bandcamp, free EP)
Darkflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #70
WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist

I ain't sayin' nothin'
Old 01-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #71
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Anyone use Schaller strap locks? I installed mine a couple of weeks ago and they took some paint off the rear when I screwed it in.

It's isolated to a small circle around the screw hole and it's complete hidden by the strap holder but it's very annoying.

People seem to have taken them off after a few years and noticed the damage. Mainly on LPs because Fenders have them little foamy washer things.

I read on mylespaul that they came to the conclusion that people should put similar things on their LPs when putting the strap locks on now.

I'm annoyed, but it's okay because it's hidden. And my LP is the one that I really want to keep perfect because it was a one in a lifetime purchase and really isn't the workhorse that my Strat is. I wouldn't bring it to a gig or a practice really, I'd bring my Strat or Tele. Also, it's not a proper knock with a story, it's just shitty design from Schaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 01-10-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #72
Darkflame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
Anyone use Schaller strap locks? I installed mine a couple of weeks ago and they took some paint off the rear when I screwed it in.

It's isolated to a small circle around the screw hole and it's complete hidden by the strap holder but it's very annoying.

People seem to have taken them off after a few years and noticed the damage. Mainly on LPs because Fenders have them little foamy washer things.

I read on mylespaul that they came to the conclusion that people should put similar things on their LPs when putting the strap locks on now.

I'm annoyed, but it's okay because it's hidden. And my LP is the one that I really want to keep perfect because it was a one in a lifetime purchase and really isn't the workhorse that my Strat is. I wouldn't bring it to a gig or a practice really, I'd bring my Strat or Tele. Also, it's not a proper knock with a story, it's just shitty design from Schaller.

I used to use Schaller but I switched to Dunlop because
1- I don't trust the Schaller ones, I'm always scared of it loosening
2- The Schaller price inflated a lot recently around here, they used to be sold for 12 bucks a few years ago and now they're over 20 bucks, whereas the Dunlop are around 10 bucks.

I still have schallers on two of my LPs (the tribute 60s and the Ibanez lawsuit)
But yeah, that really sucks man =( Never noticed any of my guitars suffering from the screws though
My band (Facebook)
Old 01-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #73
gregs1020
Hi mom!

tom - i'm with you on the 68RI guess. or he found a R7 since he doesn't have a goldie yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
you got rid of your '60 Greg? I was all happy knowing I had the same guitar you did =(

don't worry the law of averages says that will happen again.

in my flurry of buying and selling lesters i went through quite a bunch.

i may grab another of the 60's tribs in ebony at some point, just to have a P-90 guitar.

Quote:

i'm guessing you went too tight with it. I tighten them until they are snug, then back them out a little until the peg spins slightly. a lot of folks put a little felt pad in there like PRS guitars come with.

i think the dunlops rattle a bit, which i found annoying as hell.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #74
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

I have to get another Lester one day.

Maybe when I get another stable full time job. Maybe nab a R9 or R0.

A proper one to last me forever.

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #75
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Well, it's not a big deal. It's hidden so I can forget about it. In fact I think that I used the shorter of the screws you get with it and it just spun on the finish, but the one on the top didn't do that.

What do you mean about them coming loose? It seems quite tight to me. They do rattle a bit but that's unavoidable.

Quote:

Old 01-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #76
Darkflame

I have a question about what Greg said in the OP
Quote:
R8 vs. R9
This question gets asked a lot !!
They are the same guitar. All reissues are essentially the same guitar with minor differences. These differences are neck thicknesses, pickups, weight of each individual guitar, finishes & tops.

So basically, you're saying the R8 and R9 are the same guitar, except for the neck thickness, the pickups, the weight, the finish and the top.
Can you really say it's the same guitar when all that's left is the tuning pegs and the bridge..?

Quote:
Well, it's not a big deal. It's hidden so I can forget about it. In fact I think that I used the shorter of the screws you get with it and it just spun on the finish, but the one on the top didn't do that.

What do you mean about them coming loose? It seems quite tight to me. They do rattle a bit but that's unavoidable.

By coming loose, I mean the bolt loosening with time, just like the screws do in the wood. I mean, the strap is forcing against it, so my guess is that eventually it will loosen up a bit, right..?
Also, most of the straps I have are too thick to actually fit between the lock and the washer, and I cannot bolt them in, which is annoying as hell. so I end up putting the strap on the screw and the lock over it. It works, but it's annoying and looks bad.
My band (Facebook)

Last edited by Darkflame : 01-10-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #77
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:

the dunlops rattle if i'm remembering correctly. the shallers didn't.

i have shallers on all my guitars, never had a problem with them loosening. the nut on the part that goes on the strap can loosen over time, i use a dab of locktight on them when i install them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
I have a question about what Greg said in the OP

So basically, you're saying the R8 and R9 are the same guitar, except for the neck thickness, the pickups, the weight, the finish and the top.
Can you really say it's the same guitar when all that's left is the tuning pegs and the bridge..?

i'll check the op, i borrowed part of it (and admitted to doing so) from another LP site.

the only differences i'm aware of on an R8-R9 is the flamed top on the R9 (though flamed top R8 guitars exist) and the neck thickness (although they all vary a bit anyway).

i believe the pups are BB1&BB2 typically in both, and both use the same tuners. the finishes and bridge are the same, though both finish and bridges of those have varied over the years of production for the R8 & R9s.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #78
Darkflame

That's clearer, thanks :-)

Speaking of the tuners, is it just me or are these kluson type tuners on Gibbies absolute crap? Everytime I play on my Trad, it feels like the strings are ALWAYS moving around. They change while I play, and one second the chord sounds good, the other it sounds bad.
Though I probably should change the factory strings, but the same thing happens (although to a bit of a lesser extent) on my tribute 60.
My band (Facebook)
Old 01-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #79
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

My schallers definitely rattle. It's the actual bit on the strap as opposed to the bit on the guitar.

It's not a big deal, I think it's normal. When they slot into together and move there's a bit of rattle. I think that if I were to take it anywhere I'd tighten it a bit.

Quote:

Old 01-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #80
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Thomas - no problem, i edited the original posted info as i'm fairly certain that the pups in both are the BB1&BB2. at least they were in the ones at the store when i worked there, and they were new completely stock guitars.

the tuners on my 2010 R0 were fine but a lot of people beef about them. i suspect the tuning issue may be due to the nut not being filed to your liking. gibson doesn't file the nuts to players specs and every new gibson i've had needed some attention at the nut.

my tokai has a new nut and i still have to file the low E slot a little even though that was part of the set up i paid for at the shop. every time i go from D to E and play a bit on that string it binds etc. i just need to work a string through there a bit next time i restring so it's got ample room, then hit it with some graphite.

phil - mine are snug, but i use thick straps. maybe your strap is pretty thin there? the dunlops were all loose on the outer side of the strap once locked in place and it bugged the crap out of me.

Last edited by gregs1020 : 01-10-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Rate This Thread: