Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #81
gregs1020
Hi mom!
 
gregs1020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0
I have to get another Lester one day.

Maybe when I get another stable full time job. Maybe nab a R9 or R0.

A proper one to last me forever.

i spit coffee when i read that last line.

you have to prove you can keep something longer than the attention span of a gnat before i'm believing you.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I may just make you an honorary Aussie for that one greg.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #82
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Greg - yea maybe. I think it's perfectly safe and secure though.

Here's a question. If I wanted to sell this LP in say 10 years, would that small circular blemish on the finish affect the resale? Do they come out of the factory with that kind of issue? I've seen it on Epiphones and other cheaper mass produced guitars.

Should I get it fixed or as it's not noticeable leave it? I would declare it but I can't see it being an issue.

Is it possible to get just that small area fixed and would it be perfect?

Tom - you still got that awesome Carvin?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.



Last edited by Mephaphil : 01-10-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #83
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
 
Tom 1.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
No mate.

Got rid of that quicker than it took Carvin to mate it. 7s just aren't for me.

Great guitar though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
i spit coffee when i read that last line.

you have to prove you can keep something longer than the attention span of a gnat before i'm believing you.



still got my Suhr... And it's only guitars I have this problem with. Been the luckiest guy in the world for the past 6 and a half years.

Though I have promised somebody a ring before I spend £3k on a guitar and I know I would prefer to buy the house and rings first!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoninfluence
I'm not familiar with police procedures.



1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #84
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0
No mate.

Got rid of that quicker than it took Carvin to mate it. 7s just aren't for me.

Great guitar though.



still got my Suhr... And it's only guitars I have this problem with. Been the luckiest guy in the world for the past 6 and a half years.

Though I have promised somebody a ring before I spend £3k on a guitar and I know I would prefer to buy the house and rings first!


Oh, it was a 7 string? I didn't realise. Was nice though.

There's a really nice Suhr at my local store. I haven't played it yet, but it's really cool.

You still work at the chain you worked at? I'm round your way next week, was gonna come have a look at your pedal selection .
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.


Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #85
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
 
Tom 1.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
Yeah.

No they fired me. I wouldn't bother. They have **** all apart from shit boss ones.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoninfluence
I'm not familiar with police procedures.



1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #86
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fired? Shit...Sorry man.

Did you play Stairway? Smoke on the Water? Some other forbidden riff? Did you tell someone not to buy a Spider?

I can't find a RMC wah anywhere in this silly country. I was hoping maybe they had one there.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.


Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #87
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
 
Tom 1.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
No. Some **** customer made life incredible difficult for Me. I basicslly knocked £200 off the cost of his can and threw in free deliery to match the deal Thomann were doing. He then demanded to be allowed to pay via paypal which we did. He then wanted the cab delivered to his third floor flat after 6pm. The courier agreed to carry the 55kg Mesa cab up to his flat but it was before 6pm. He got pissed refussed to collect it himself demanding we do it. So as tbis happened on my day off i didnt know this was happening. So somebody else drove to London to collect it and deliver it to the prick.

This on too of our worst business week in months, a shit store review around the company in general The boss got pissed off and wanted to make an example of somebody. My mates shoved that under his nose. So the example wasMe.

It's a long story but basically I worked with a bunch of dicks I wasn't a big enough dick back and go ****ed.

I wouldn't bother. PMT don't bother with exotica. Not enough margin in it.

Same reason the boss won't allow the to stock ENGL, Diezel, JCA, Egnater, EVH, Suhr, EBMM and pretty much anything decent.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoninfluence
I'm not familiar with police procedures.



1977 Burny FLG70

Last edited by Tom 1.0 : 01-10-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #88
Controlpanel
qɐuuǝp
 
Controlpanel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
That sucks Tom...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan-Tallica
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Controlpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #89
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0
No. Some **** customer made life incredible difficult for Me. I basicslly knocked £200 off the cost of his can and threw in free deliery to match the deal Thomann were doing. He then demanded to be allowed to pay via paypal which we did. He then wanted the cab delivered to his third floor flat after 6pm. The courier agreed to carry the 55kg Mesa cab up to his flat but it was before 6pm. He got pissed refussed to collect it himself demanding we do it. So as tbis happened on my day off i didnt know this was happening. So somebody else drove to London to collect it and deliver it to the prick.

This on too of our worst business week in months, a shit store review around the company in general The boss got pissed off and wanted to make an example of somebody. My mates shoved that under his nose. So the example wasMe.

It's a long story but basically I worked with a bunch of dicks I wasn't a big enough dick back and go ****ed.

I wouldn't bother. PMT don't bother with exotica. Not enough margin in it.

Same reason the boss won't allow the to stock ENGL, Diezel, JCA, Egnater, EVH, Suhr, EBMM and pretty much anything decent.


Sounds harsh man. Well, I hope you found something else.

I guess they have to make a profit, but by investing in other companies they could become a dealer that everyone goes to for that product which could increase their profit. Too many businesses are short sighted, sometimes a few grand on a few guitars outweighs the risk. Not to mention the fact that if no one stocks awesome guitars like Suhr they'll go out of business

Thank god for the Internet
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.


Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #90
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
 
Tom 1.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
I did. But that contract experies on Saturday so I'm unemployed again

Meh as far as I see it, they fired me for something that was out if my control after I had taken all reasonable steps to do what I could and had been told to do and because my 'mates' didn't have the balls to defend me in my absence

The managing director of the company is a prick. That's all there is to it salt he sits at the end of the Southend stores counter so it not like that customer induced debacle would have gone unnoticed like it would have at any of the other 9 stores in the company.

As it stands I was one of their best customers, both before and during my employment. As it stands I won't ever spend money in there again. Even to the extreme of buying strings and plectrums off the net.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoninfluence
I'm not familiar with police procedures.



1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #91
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
 
dannyalcatraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Damn, Tom 1.0- if only HALF of that story is true, you got royally dicked. Here's hoping you wind up on the sunny side again, and soon.
__________________
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #92
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
 
Tom 1.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
Sadly it's all true

Thanks mate
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoninfluence
I'm not familiar with police procedures.



1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:15 PM   #93
Darkflame
officialBOSS pedals hater
 
Darkflame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
No, thread, you shall not die so soon after your birth.
__________________
My sig is clean.
and my name's Thomas.
Wanna see my rig?
My band (Facebook)
My band (Bandcamp, free EP)
Darkflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:43 AM   #94
gregs1020
Hi mom!
 
gregs1020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
^ oh this thread isn't going anywhere.

tom that sucks - i don't think i ever heard the whole story. you're better off. i was out of work except a couple here and there jobs for about a year and a half. i'm back at the grind now full time but it was a tough stretch. you get through it.

buying a ring is probably a good thing, rach sounds like a great gal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
Greg - yea maybe. I think it's perfectly safe and secure though.

Here's a question. If I wanted to sell this LP in say 10 years, would that small circular blemish on the finish affect the resale? Do they come out of the factory with that kind of issue? I've seen it on Epiphones and other cheaper mass produced guitars.

Should I get it fixed or as it's not noticeable leave it? I would declare it but I can't see it being an issue.

Is it possible to get just that small area fixed and would it be perfect?

Tom - you still got that awesome Carvin?

in 10 years it's bound to have a few dings and signs of use. that's a pretty common thing so i wouldn't sweat it. it would probably cost a couple hundred to get fixed and even then there may be a sign it was repaired. i wouldn't worry about it. that little circle is it's birthmark now, embrace it. that's one of the things that makes it yours.

basically i don't see that small mark really being an issue, every used LP i've bought had some sign of use, some blemish.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I may just make you an honorary Aussie for that one greg.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:09 AM   #95
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
 
Tom 1.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
Mega: that sort of damage won't devalue it any more than the fact its a 10 year old second hand Led Paul. If it were a Rx then it could harm resale more, but its not so you should be OK.

What do you guys think about some of the new 2013 Lesters?



Some old shots I have lying around.















Not that I miss my old Gold Top. Too many bad associations, but it was a classy guitar.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoninfluence
I'm not familiar with police procedures.



1977 Burny FLG70

Last edited by Tom 1.0 : 01-11-2013 at 05:01 AM.
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #96
-Ed-
The Thing Upstairs....
 
-Ed-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Hey Tom - I'll ask you this as you've played and owned a shit load of guitars.

How does the Gibson compare to the ec1000?

I like the ec1000 but find the edges a bit square so not as comfortable as say a strat. Does the Gibson have more rounded edges? How do the neck compare (60s)?

Thx
-Ed- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:28 AM   #97
WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist
 
WholeLottaIzzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a cave
Ah waiting on this new Les Paul sucks. It's not gonna be here until at least Tuesday. I was hoping for it to get delivered tomorrow. I am awfully impatient waiting for guitars
__________________
The blues ain't nothin' but a good man feelin' bad.
WholeLottaIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #98
hminh87
Justin here!
 
hminh87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sweden
I don't know about their quality nowadays but Edwards did some pretty amazing Les Pauls. Manufactured parts in China and quality checked assembling in Japan. Great stuff.
__________________
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

  • ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
  • ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
  • ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
  • ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
  • Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
  • Tanglewood TW170 AS
  • Vox Tonelab ST
  • Blackstar HT-1R
hminh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #99
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
 
TNfootballfan62's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tennessee
I just saw a nice looking edwards on my CL the other day. They wanted $600 for it, but I don't know much about them.
__________________
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
TNfootballfan62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #100
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
 
Tom 1.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ed-
Hey Tom - I'll ask you this as you've played and owned a shit load of guitars.

How does the Gibson compare to the ec1000?

I like the ec1000 but find the edges a bit square so not as comfortable as say a strat. Does the Gibson have more rounded edges? How do the neck compare (60s)?

Thx




Forgot I'd owned an Eclipse

To be fair they are completely different animals. The ESP plays like a superstrat with a single cut body. It's slimmer, more ergonomic and with the tummy cut more comfortable. It's also lighter and slighter better balanced.

The Les Paul, is fat, heavier (though the guys who say they are too heavy need to man the **** up) and depending on what neck you get, it's fatter (50's) or pretty similar (60's) though they are also slightly nicer to play with the smaller radius.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoninfluence
I'm not familiar with police procedures.



1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:46 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.