Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-08-2013, 02:46 AM   #1
~Flounder~
Trance/Metal Synth player

(C4C) [Metal] Elements

Hey all, here is a full recording my band did recently of a song originally written like 5 years ago. I actually posted the .gp4 for a very early version of the song in the tabs section in 2009-ish. We just recently forced ourselves to get a solid recording once and for all and this is what we got. Thoughts, comments, criticisms welcome (of the song itself or the mix, I did it briefly in audacity if that tells you anything). I'll also post the 'newest' gp5 for anyone interested though it may not reflect 100% the recording. c4c welcome

for anyone wondering I wanted the song on a site I knew I would be using for awhile thus RN
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 Elements (newest).gp5 (93.9 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by ~Flounder~ : 01-08-2013 at 03:05 PM.
~Flounder~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
Gregjr22

Hey man

Song sounds really solid, has a good feel to it. Reminds me alot of As i Lay dying, Darkest Hour, etc. I thought the synths and keys were awesome, and the guitar work as well. The vocalist has a pretty good scream as well. I used to scream for an extremely heavy metal band, and it wasnt easy. The breaks in the song were cool as well.

First impressions of the mix were a bit muddy, and sounds like the focus of the instruments in are in the middle. Have you tried doubling the Rhythm guitars, and panning them hard left and hard right? I will give the mix a much wider feel. It would make a big difference and make the track sound more powerful.

Nice work overall though man!

If you have a chance, take a listen to a track I recently recorded and any input is greatly appreciated!

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1581719
Gregjr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
~Flounder~
Trance/Metal Synth player

Thank you Greg! As I lay Dying and Darkest Hour are definitely big influences on all of us, and I'd guess our music roughly falls under a melodic/metalcore genre, though the synths sort of throw a curveball in there. I am a complete noob when it comes to mixing or producing music, so I'm just glad I got it to sound this good in the first place.

Actually there is only 1 guitar track for the majority of the song. Exception being in each chorus halfway through there is a tremolo picking harmony. Maybe next song I could have the guitarist record his part twice and then pan them l/r? We're definitely going for a slightly more 'metal'/powerful mix overall (think In Flames, Bodom) with more low end, booming toms, and rumbling bass. But since I don't know what I'm doing I just threw in a very small amount of compressor bass boost amp and normalize on the final mix. I'm giving your song a crit now, thx again
Old 01-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
Gregjr22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Flounder~
Thank you Greg! As I lay Dying and Darkest Hour are definitely big influences on all of us, and I'd guess our music roughly falls under a melodic/metalcore genre, though the synths sort of throw a curveball in there. I am a complete noob when it comes to mixing or producing music, so I'm just glad I got it to sound this good in the first place.

Actually there is only 1 guitar track for the majority of the song. Exception being in each chorus halfway through there is a tremolo picking harmony. Maybe next song I could have the guitarist record his part twice and then pan them l/r? We're definitely going for a slightly more 'metal'/powerful mix overall (think In Flames, Bodom) with more low end, booming toms, and rumbling bass. But since I don't know what I'm doing I just threw in a very small amount of compressor bass boost amp and normalize on the final mix. I'm giving your song a crit now, thx again

Yeah definetly man, I did a lot of researching on youtube and on forums while mixing my track and it tought me a lot. I have like 10 copies of that song and each one got progressively better lol. You could have him record his parts twice that would work, just make sure the tracks are set to Mono and you pan one hard left and one hard right. Make sure the tracks are not exactly the same, maybe put a slight delay 10ms or so on one of the tracks so it differs slightly, or even a small reverb. Throw leads close to center or wherever there is space in your mix. Bass smack dab in the middle, along with kick drum.. and some people pan their drums the way you would hear them as if you were watching from the crowd if that makes sense. I used bus tracks on my bass and lead guitar tracks to give them some extra Ummmff. I'm no expert by any means, in fact this is only the second recording i've done myself. I generated the guitar and bass sounds through POD farm 2 and just used ableton live for the recording. The drums were programmed on Superior drummer by a friend of mine. I did a lot of reading on "normalizing" and I actually thought the song sounded way better without Normalizing. I've read people that use it and like it, and some say NEVER normalize. Check out a program called IZOTOPE ozone 5, you can actually download a demo version of there software and they have a ton of preset options that will really make some of your sounds come alive. I liked the song though for sure, I'd love to hear more.
Gregjr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:23 AM   #5
HaydenHohns
Maths/Music Enthusiast

@~Flounder~: Hey man! Long time no discuss! I remember you having some really awesome tight riffs from T & C as well as some dark keys.

Anyway, to me the guitar tone needs some work. I found this user on youtube called recordingrevolution (type in 5 minutes to a better mix) and he can help with just about anything. It's helped me immensely. I also think the cymbals sound a bit harsh and lo-fi. I also think the snare sounds a bit weak. That said, the reverb on it is quite nice.

As for guitars, there are a few things you can do. One, you can have the parts recorded multiple times and depending on the number of takes accepted, pan them:

a) Hard L/R (two takes).
b) Hard L/R + Centre (three takes).
c) Hard L/R + 70% L/R (four takes).

These are guidelines though. You can still experiment.

Another thing you can do to make them bigger is change the EQ settings, reverb all just to slightly change the sound but using the same single take.

One more thing, you could also record the D.I of the guitar and then use amp simulations to re-amp the guitar. Try creating 2-4 different samples that you find desirable and then use those with just one take. Then you don't need to worry about timing issues.

Also, I'd like to hear more elaborate keys. Either more dense or technical. They are what sets you apart from the average band. Anubis Gate and Beyond Twilight are bands I admire for those qualities. You may or may not like them but maybe you can take something from them.

That is all.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:58 AM   #6
NelsonSFS

i like the style a lot it reminds me of children of bodom, which i love, but it has been said already, work on the tone cut back on gain add some more mids maybe? the synth is really cool it has a retro feel to it you have a good foundation for a song just gotta practice the production practice makes perfect keep up the good work!
NelsonSFS is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: