Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-09-2013, 01:37 AM   #1
sw4l

Going tubular?

i have been playing for about 6 to 7 months, right nowi have a spider IV and i have been kind of wanting to step into the tube territory. would a tube pre amp give me an half way tube sound? also what would you recommend for a tube amp? i like a nice crunch with a high gain sound but not to muddy. my budget for a tube would prob be around 400$

any ideas?
sw4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:42 AM   #2
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

Answer these questions first: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1387138

After that, we can help you a great deal more. $400 is a nice budget to get away from that Spider.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:45 AM   #3
cjb2293

I know I may be whipped for throwing this name out there, but you should really look into a Bugera V22.

I got rid of my crappy Marshall MG series amp and got one of these. $380 you get all tube, including tube reverb. A great little amp for jazz/rock/alternative rock, although i highly recommend replacing the stock tubes with some Grove Tubes.

Endorsements/Sponsorships
Cactus Picks
Curt Mangan Strings
cjb2293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:53 AM   #4
sw4l

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr_salamander
Answer these questions first: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1387138

After that, we can help you a great deal more. $400 is a nice budget to get away from that Spider.

budget - 400-500
genere - hard rock and metal.
new or used which ever is the best bang for the buck.
home mostly.
Memphis.
i have a spider IV 15(i got it from GC for 50 bucks)
I have a schecter omen 6.

and cjb2293 i will look into it thanks
sw4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:00 AM   #5
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb2293
I know I may be whipped for throwing this name out there, but you should really look into a Bugera V22.

I got rid of my crappy Marshall MG series amp and got one of these. $380 you get all tube, including tube reverb. A great little amp for jazz/rock/alternative rock, although i highly recommend replacing the stock tubes with some Grove Tubes.

grove tubes are relables of different tubes. i don't recommend that. get what you want, whether it be JJ;s or SED's.

i personally would not trust a bugera. if you want a quote from a PM i was sent to by a bugera rep let me know.

i would look for a peavey valveking, the have nice cleans, tons of headroom, the OD channel isn't best, but there are a few tricks to really transform it. EQ and a Bad monkey go far. so does a dummy jack. i would personally retube with JJ's i had sovteks in it at first and hated it.

if you ever get into modding, there are several mods you can do out there.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:16 AM   #6
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm

search "valveking" they start at $200ish. the 1x12" combos. there are tons of them on my CL tons. you can get them cheap.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
Old 01-09-2013, 02:45 AM   #7
cjb2293

I will politely disagree as I think my bugera works well for what I use it for. For metal and rock you may want to go with something else though. The bugera has a nice shimmering clean for jazz/blues that can be switched with the pentode/triode switch.

For metal/hard rock I would look at the peavey 6505 1x12 combo (a touch higher than your budget, but maybe you can find one used).
Could also check out a Rocktron V160R - I've never used one but from what I hear they are solid amps that you can run in stereo.

Endorsements/Sponsorships
Cactus Picks
Curt Mangan Strings
cjb2293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:47 AM   #8
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb2293
I will politely disagree as I think my bugera works well for what I use it for. For metal and rock you may want to go with something else though. The bugera has a nice shimmering clean for jazz/blues that can be switched with the pentode/triode switch.

For metal/hard rock I would look at the peavey 6505 1x12 combo (a touch higher than your budget, but maybe you can find one used).
Could also check out a Rocktron V160R - I've never used one but from what I hear they are solid amps that you can run in stereo.

Quote:
Hi trashedlostfdup,
My name is Dustin Plumb; I'm the product manager for BUGERA here in Seattle. I happened upon your post and thought you deserved a personal response, something a little less generic than the typical corporate response you'd expect from a company of our size.

My team recently took over and have begun to dig in on the BUGERA product line. We're musicians ourselves, and legitimately care about the quality and reliability of our products. There's no way to completely avoid product failures, especially when glass vacuum tubes are a key operational component, but we openly admit that some of our early amplifiers had problems beyond normally acceptable limits.

Since then, we've done our best to "connect the dots" in our quality assurance management and have spent a great deal of time, energy and money into streamlining our quality control systems and processes. The result has been significant improvements in reliability and longevity.

I want you to know that we're not a static company, sitting on our laurels. We're a dynamic, living/breathing company, capable of adjusting and responding to roadblocks and challenges, and we're stubborn. We're set on battling any quality roadblocks that stand in our way and we're not going to give up. We can't promise that there won't be hiccups along the way, but just know that we're on it and will work tirelessly to increase the quality and perception of BUGERA.

If you have the ability to give us another chance we would greatly appreciate it. TRIREC is coming soon and is going to be an absolute monster!

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me directly: dustin.plumb@music-group.com

Best regards,

Dustin

he admits to problems. the infinium line has some issues that i have heard. nothing new. email him if you want to.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
Old 01-09-2013, 03:58 AM   #9
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

I don't think that was a personal response honestly, just a copy/paste of something that seems personal. Even the infiniums have the same problems. They have such weak components and QC that they shouldn't be trying to put electronics that could cause the type of injuries that high voltage analog electronics can cause if poorly manufactured. Simple as that.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:10 AM   #10
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr_salamander
I don't think that was a personal response honestly, just a copy/paste of something that seems personal. Even the infiniums have the same problems. They have such weak components and QC that they shouldn't be trying to put electronics that could cause the type of injuries that high voltage analog electronics can cause if poorly manufactured. Simple as that.

email him if you want he gave me his number and extension but i wouldn't give that out. that thread was really long and actually long and very heated, i heard a few others got replies, one i saw wasn't the same as mine. i didn't know either but i looked him up through behringer/bugera. it could be fake but that would be the one case to think it was real. again nobody really knows.

+311 to the bolded section.

i would not feel comfortable recommending them.

i wouldn't let anybody even plug one into an outlet in my house.

besides if you were to get a new bugera the 'real' amp used's price is similar (or it was when i checked last) but i must specify that i only really looked into were the peavey clones as far as that goes.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars

Rate This Thread: