Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
13Deers

What electric guitar should i buy?

Hi,
I want to start playing electric guitar and I would like to know which guitar is the best to get started. I live in Montreal and my budget for the guitar and the amp is about 250$. For the moment, the guitars that I found and that I can afford are:
-Yamaha Pacifica 012
-Les Paul special II
-Ibanez GAX30
-Squier Affinity Fat
I don't like metal and don't plan on playing it, I prefer jazzy/chill music. A guitarist that I like is Santana. So, which guitar is the best for starting out electric guitar(tell me if you know a good affordable guitar that isn't in this list) and which amp should I buy(under 60$ preferably)?
Thank you for your answers
13Deers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
halfj06

Think your best bet is a starter kit.. If yamaha makes a pacifica one, go for that
halfj06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
&baconstrips

Do you mind buying second hand? You can get much better deals if you go used, and Montreal probably has a decent used market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfj06
Think your best bet is a starter kit.. If yamaha makes a pacifica one, go for that

Don't do this
Old 01-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
halfj06

Why? It makes.perfect sense.. he has $250.. he dosent know what to look for in used guitars to know if their good or bad, yeah send a new guy out to get something minimally better with a twisted neck .. they come with a guitar, amp, cable, strap, picks and usually a starter book or dvd
Old 01-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
13Deers

I heard that starter kits aren't worth the money and i forgot to say that it makes ~2 years I play acoustic guitar. Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
halfj06

Well ironiclly enough i believe every guitar you listed comes in a kit..

If you know what your looking at you can do a bit better on the used market. Id suggest a fender mustang amp and maybe like an ibanez art100..
Old 01-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
13Deers

Thanks
Old 01-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
&baconstrips

Quote:
Originally Posted by &baconstrips
Do you mind buying second hand?

...well?
Old 01-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
ghobby

Out of the ones you listed get either the yamaha or the affinity. You might be able to upgrade to the pacifica 112 if you are buying an amp too, sometimes the shop will give you a package deal.
ghobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
13Deers

no, I don't mind buying from secondhand, thank you for advice. I was looking not so long ago at kijiji and found some good deals , just need to know if the guitar is in good state.

Last edited by 13Deers : 01-06-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #11
Doogy-Style
Guitar Noob

The pacifica probably! And in any case, stay away from the LP special II, it's a terrible guitar !
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Walden CG 570 White Horse
Doogy-Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #12
&baconstrips

Either one of these should be fine.
http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-acheter...QAdIdZ441652856
http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-acheter...QAdIdZ441903455

This one has gold hardware which is odd. Might be upgraded or a special model or something...
http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-acheter...QAdIdZ417602296

This one comes with a Roland Cube 15x, which is an ok amp. Good to start out with.
http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-acheter...QAdIdZ435714382

This one comes with a Peavey Rage, which is an ok amp to start with. It's cheap enough to let you save up for a better amp soon.
http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-acheter...QAdIdZ436272163

Do you know what to look at when buying a used guitar?

Last edited by &baconstrips : 01-06-2013 at 10:38 PM.
&baconstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #13
AshersUK

You get a decent quality guitar from a Yamaha Pacifica, very nice for thr price. The natural wood finish feels lovely too IMHO. It also has HSS pickups so you can get some nice clean sounds for that jazz\chill you mention. It was my first guitar and I felt like I had spent money on something of good quality.
AshersUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #14
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfj06
Why? It makes.perfect sense.. he has $250.. he dosent know what to look for in used guitars to know if their good or bad, yeah send a new guy out to get something minimally better with a twisted neck .. they come with a guitar, amp, cable, strap, picks and usually a starter book or dvd

IMO the biggest problem with starter packs is the amps they come with. They sound awful - tinny and crappy.
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #15
13Deers

Really thanks for for all the replies. Ill try buying an used pacifica. I think I should look at the overall state of the guitar, the neck, the neck joins and how it sounds when plugged to an amp.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:40 PM   #16
halfj06

And fret wear.. super important
Old 01-07-2013, 11:44 PM   #17
&baconstrips

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Deers
I think I should look at the overall state of the guitar, the neck, the neck joins and how it sounds when plugged to an amp.

Yea that's pretty much it, you might also want to turn the knobs while its plugged in. If you hear a crackling/scratching sound, it's an easy fix, but you can ask for a few bucks off.
Almost any issue with a guitar can be fixed, but you can use it to ask for a lower price. The most expensive fix on a lower end guitar would be fretwork, which can cost hundreds. If the frets are excessively worn down or lifting at the edges, I would avoid it. If they're just a bit sharp at the edges, they can likely be filed down.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #18
romeozdistress

get the one that comes with the roland cube.
Digitech Bad Monkey
Joyo Ultimate Octava
Snark SN1
romeozdistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #19
mattrusso

That Squier was my first guitar and I liked it. For what it was, it was great. Stayed in tune reasonably well, didn't sound horrible. It's obviously not amazing, but you shouldn't expect it to be. I have no experience with the Yamaha but they seem to get a lot of love around here as far a starter guitars go. I would stay away from the Ibanez and Epiphone models you mentioned. From experience, I can honestly say I believe that they are both objectively worse all around than the Squier. So I'd definitely go for either the Squier or the Yamaha.
mattrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #20
jeffo46

If you have access to craig's list, then I would see about getting a used Squier Standard Strat and maybe see about scoring a used Crate 65 watt combo amp. If you play your cards right, you should be able to get both for the amount of money that you have available.
jeffo46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: