Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
ciano16
I use modes.

Using ext. speaker and caring for a tube amp.

I have a peavey vypyr tube 60 combo. i used to have a solid state vypyr 100 and i never had to go above 4 or 5 on the volume for little jazz combo gigs, but with this 60w one, i have to literally max the volume to be heard decently. i know its a smaller amp, but damn thats a huge difference. im pretty new to this whole extra speaker thing and tube thing.. so my main question is...

If I hook it up to a 2x12 cab with the ext. speaker jack in the back, will it actually be considerably louder? or will it split the wattage between the ext cab and internal speaker and leave me with 3 speakers each running at 1/3 the volume?

another question... i havent replaced the tubes since i got the amp, which was actually used..
could old or bad tubes cause a huge volume difference? there are 2 tubes and they both glow with the same intensity.
and what tubes should i get for this amp?

and my Band's EP
Its like rock funk jazz metal or something...

Last edited by ciano16 : 01-06-2013 at 10:33 PM.
ciano16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
Robbgnarly

Yes get new power tubes. those amps are loud even with only the 1x12.

Buy a pair of JJ 6l6 tubes and stick them in. You do not need to bias that amp, so just put the new ones in there.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
ciano16
I use modes.

ok. thanks!

and my Band's EP
Old 01-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciano16
I have a peavey vypyr tube 60 combo. i used to have a solid state vypyr 100 and i never had to go above 4 or 5 on the volume for little jazz combo gigs, but with this 60w one, i have to literally max the volume to be heard decently. i know its a smaller amp, but damn thats a huge difference.

that is strange. most people would say the 60 watt tube amp sounds louder than a 100 watt solid state amp. either way volume performance should be similar between those models, when comparing the two amps quantitatively watt-for-watt then the nominal output for the tube 60 should be roughly 3 dB less than the 100 watt amp.

i would find out if there may be something wrong. if it were my amp, i'd take it to a store that sells them and compare it with another tube 60 they have in stock. if performance is drastically different between your personal amp and the store model then i'd return the amp for a new one.

Quote:
If I hook it up to a 2x12 cab with the ext. speaker jack in the back, will it actually be considerably louder?

it can be louder. because you are increasing the surface area of the speakers the sound is being produced by then you'll get a bit of a volume bump. it shouldn't be a substantial volume bump though.

if you stack the amp on top of the 2x12 and run the 2x12 vertically then you should hear the sound better because it is closer to your ear. so there are some volume benefits to running more speakers.

Quote:
or will it split the wattage between the ext cab and internal speaker and leave me with 3 speakers each running at 1/3 the volume?

the internal speaker is run in parallel with the external speaker. in the ideal world power would be divided evenly among speakers but your situation will be more complicated.

it will split the wattage among the speakers

your speakers will interfere and couple and this can result in more volume (particularly extra low end).

wattage will not be distributed evenly when pairing your amp with a 2x12. the internal speaker is 16 ohm, a 2x12 would have two 8 ohm speaker connected in series to make 16 ohms and therefore the 8 ohm speakers would get more power than the 16 ohm speaker. this shouldn't be incredibly noticeable though.

Quote:
another question... i havent replaced the tubes since i got the amp, which was actually used..
could old or bad tubes cause a huge volume difference? there are 2 tubes and they both glow with the same intensity.
and what tubes should i get for this amp?

usually old/bad tubes have other symptoms besides just lower volume. generally distortion or volume swelling is also involved. if the tubes are really beat then you can get more volume with new tubes.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 01-07-2013 at 06:18 PM.
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:38 AM   #5
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
that is strange. most people would say the 60 watt tube amp sounds louder than a 100 watt solid state amp. either way volume performance should be similar between those models, when comparing the two amps quantitatively watt-for-watt then the nominal output for the tube 60 should be roughly 3 dB less than the 100 watt amp.
Which would be true if all amps were rated the same way but they aren't.
However, I agree, sounds like something is wrong and he should seriously consider replacing the power tubes and/or the phase inverter tube.

What you may want to try first is simply pulling the tubes out and plugging them back in again, they may not be seated properly. If you're smart you'll give them a clean too.
To clean the sockets buy a can of electrical contact cleaner. Spray some liberally onto the tube pins and insert and remove the tube three or four times (you are using the tube pins as the applicator.)
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
ciano16
I use modes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious

well the 100w amp was a 2x12 and the tube is just 1x12. that sounds like it should make a pretty big difference.

and my Band's EP

Rate This Thread: