User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #21
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempoe
Well obviously you need to put in some effort, and who knows ever if they made the right choices in life. If you are truly a creative talent, word gets around, in whatever industry. They're usually small, tight communities. Music, Art, whatever. I agree with the nothing to learn, it would be foolish to think that, but IMO creativity is something that learning doesn't really apply to in a normal way.
To do something first, or completely original and appealing will get you noticed very quickly among studios.

...in an ideal world this would be true, but in reality this isn't true at all. If you are a true talent, guess what? There are 500 others who are also true talents doing the same thing, and probably doing it better than you. That doesn't mean you're not actually talented or your work isn't extremely high quality, it means there are 500 who are neck-to-neck. So just by being a "true talent" and putting your work on SoundCloud is not going to get anyone to notice you. There are definite business/professional decisions and strategies that you have to make in order to gain from just another talent to someone who can actually deliver a professional, reliable service. That reliability part is extremely important.

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #22
Vlasco
Turn of the century man!

Reliability is also in short supply within the business of creative pusuits.
Vlasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #23
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
...in an ideal world this would be true, but in reality this isn't true at all. If you are a true talent, guess what? There are 500 others who are also true talents doing the same thing, and probably doing it better than you. That doesn't mean you're not actually talented or your work isn't extremely high quality, it means there are 500 who are neck-to-neck. So just by being a "true talent" and putting your work on SoundCloud is not going to get anyone to notice you. There are definite business/professional decisions and strategies that you have to make in order to gain from just another talent to someone who can actually deliver a professional, reliable service. That reliability part is extremely important.

I haven't really found this with my experiences as a Creative Director. There seems to be a lot of mid level artists but very rarely a great creative talent. If we find one we snatch them up from whoever if we can. In Music (or guitar) it is completely saturated with great guitarists, all playing the same stuff. If someone does something truly creative and original, it stands out, the cream rises.

And I was just assuming said artist was reliable .

Last edited by Tempoe : 01-11-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #24
Hail
kill both bass players

when i hear "great creative talent" i think john zorn. try marketing him. the cream only rises within the confines of the desires of the market.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #25
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
when i hear "great creative talent" i think john zorn. try marketing him. the cream only rises within the confines of the desires of the market.

lol, yeah I meant creative but appealing.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #26
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

Quote:
I haven't really found this with my experiences as a Creative Director. There seems to be a lot of mid level artists but very rarely a great creative talent. If we find one we snatch them up from whoever if we can. In Music (or guitar) it is completely saturated with great guitarists, all playing the same stuff. If someone does something truly creative and original, it stands out, the cream rises.

And I was just assuming said artist was reliable .

CD of what exactly?

And you're just going by assumption that the artist is reliable? That sounds like an extremely novice thing to do. Most experienced supervisors/producers head would, first thing, check the artists' credits (real world projects they've already worked) as well as personal confirmation from trusted peers.

My New Workstation
Old 01-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #27
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

Assuming the artist was unknown to the industry, they'd be worth the gamble to see how reliable they were. If they were well known, you'd know.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #28
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

Quote:
Assuming the artist was unknown to the industry, they'd be worth the gamble to see how reliable they were. If they were well known, you'd know.

This is why I asked "CD of what, exactly?" And to what industry?

This is plain not how the film/game industry works. Having credits does not equate to being well-known. Most starting artists would be working on small indie projects that probably won't get wide release at all, but these count as credits that producers are looking for, plus wider network relationships through working on those projects. This is why just having talent and not interpersonal/strategic skills won't get you anywhere.

Furthermore, with most film/game projects, music is a post production process, almost the last step of the entire way. Do you really think someone who has literally hundreds of millions dollars worth of investment riding on him will "take a gamble" on this last person?

My New Workstation

Last edited by Xiaoxi : 01-11-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #29
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

I'm in Advertising. Film is a different game for sure.
Depends what you do for film, like editors can be hugely creative, but how creative can you claim to be when you didn't take the footage or write the script?
Anyways, we see dozens of designers, very few impress as far as creative goes. Just from my personal experience in this industry.

Actually we have gambled a few times, once for a TV commercial soundtrack for Canada Tourism, using a complete unknown to do the classical soundtrack based on a demo he did for us. All went great, he's now working regularly with us.

Last edited by Tempoe : 01-11-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #30
Mathedes
Dissonant Unison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi

This is why I pursue business degrees instead of music. The world is very different from what it used to be.

We're all alright!
Mathedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #31
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
lol, yeah I meant creative but appealing.

that's absolutely different. being talented in the sense that you play to marketable strengths would define JB as an absolute genius

not that i have nearly as much hate for him as most people around here do, but he makes for good example-fodder
Old 01-14-2013, 02:28 AM   #32
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jones
...I'll never understand the attitude of someone like yourself. You don't even know what you don't know. You think you're going to practice 12 hours a day on your sweep picking and change the world, and that'll be it.

Real creative geniuses dont need the book. Thats my opinion. If thats trolling in your opinion-fine. Dont waste your time on me- feel free to espouse the virtues of your ointment on the rest of the townsfolk.
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #33
Scott Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91RG350
Real creative geniuses dont need the book. Thats my opinion. If thats trolling in your opinion-fine. Dont waste your time on me- feel free to espouse the virtues of your ointment on the rest of the townsfolk.

The virtues of my ointment? Wow, such a cynic, you MUST be amazing. The world is waiting for you.

90% of what gives ANYONE an edge, is getting one's mind around ALL that it takes to fully express that which they discover.

If you had anything resembling humility about this, you may actually read the book and realize that it has NOTHING to do with what you think it does.

Real creative geniuses are only born with the potential to become great. Having the "wiring" pre-installed does not do anything for anyone, if they are unwilling to grab and connect information and wisdom from every possible source and fully utilize it to realize their potential.

If you think that so-called "real" creative "geniuses" don't do their homework, research and develop their craft, and seek out truth from every perspective, then you might want to study up on some of the Greats in history. Incredibly rare were the ones that simply "sprung up" out of nowhere and already "knew" everything.
Scott Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #34
Hail
kill both bass players

if we had anything resembling in humility we wouldn't be posting in MT tbh
Old 01-15-2013, 02:38 AM   #35
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

Quote:
The virtues of my ointment? Wow, such a cynic, you MUST be amazing. The world is waiting for you.

It may be a fine book.... but your zealotry on this thread puts me off reading it. Ever.

News flash: people in life will sometimes have different opinions than you.

And my original comment still stands...because 0.01 percent of people who buy the book will actually be creative geniuses.... and they may get some value from the book... but 99.99 percent of buyers will be people who are in denial about the actual level of their own creative genius abilities. After all... creative geniuses wouldnt make up more than 0.01 of the book buying populace...would they..?
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #36
Scott Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91RG350
It may be a fine book.... but your zealotry on this thread puts me off reading it. Ever.

News flash: people in life will sometimes have different opinions than you.

And my original comment still stands...because 0.01 percent of people who buy the book will actually be creative geniuses.... and they may get some value from the book... but 99.99 percent of buyers will be people who are in denial about the actual level of their own creative genius abilities. After all... creative geniuses wouldnt make up more than 0.01 of the book buying populace...would they..?

Yes. Yes. I see now. My "zealotry". Yes. That's a reason to form an opinion. And especially a reason to hijack the intent of my thread.

Look. I don't know you. You don't know me. I could care less whether or not you agree with me. That is not an issue. Your opinion is certainly your right. Your thoughts are yours to have.

I've read the book. It's a helpful read. I shared it. I have zero stake in it. None. I don't if anyone ever reads it. Applies it. Burns it. Eats it for lunch. Does. Not. Matter.

What I find weak on your you part. Yes. Weak. Is that you come into a perfectly innocent thread, intended on HELPING young players find ways of developing their gifts and using them to their fullest potential, and you post a singular, uninformed and distracting point, which has the potential of clouding the intent of the book and my intent as well.

Anyone who shoots down, sight unseen, any potentially helpful act, is simply a bitter jerk.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #37
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Anyone who shoots down, sight unseen, any potentially helpful act, is simply a bitter jerk.

yeah, like hitler

you need to be more pessimistic scott, i really think you'd benefit from it.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #38
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

So wait, what is the book actually about?

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #39
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel
So wait, what is the book actually about?

it's about whatever you want it to be about

like the bible
Old 01-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #40
Scott Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
yeah, like hitler

you need to be more pessimistic scott, i really think you'd benefit from it.

Not gonna happen

It baffles me that people choose to be a thorn in the side of others, rather than a benefit.

I choose the latter. Always.

Rate This Thread: