Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
SunliteGuitar

Unhappy Primer/painting issues need help

So for the past 2 years I have been building a semi-hollow telecater with a custom inlay rosewood neck.

All of the inlay work is done, the refretting was a mother****er but I hopefully did it right (we'll see when its all strung). Now PAINTING!! PAINTING IS WHERE ITS ALL FALLING APART!

I used rustoleum white primer on the smooth body and neck, everything taped off. When I sprayed the first coat of Krylon brand Satin Ivory, I noticed drips and such where I held the can too close to the stuff. No problem, sanded it all smooth and applied the second coat. Mind you, some primer came off whilst sanding (that may be the issue?). Now whenever I spray a coat on I get these stupid looking veiny, chippy-looking spots. And no matter how carefully I sand it and respray it, it keeps showing up! Even getting bigger!!

I am using the 10 minute quick-dry paint and letting it dry for about an hour before working on it. Do I need to strip it all down, reprimer, then do it again? Ive already spent tons of money on the cans of what I have already. I would absolutely despise having to go out and buy more primer and paint. What should I do? maybe sand down the weird areas, keep the good areas, carefully primer the sanded areas, then just paint?

Im hanging it outside to dry and it's san diego weather (not exactly cold..... but its not warm.). Is that effecting anything? This project has given me much stress. I know it doesnt have to be perfect since it's just going to be MY guitar.... but I am finicky about just letting shit like that be in the final finish.

and, before I **** that up too, any careful steps I should take before applying the clear gloss finish?

Any hel would be great. Im letting it dry as I type this and am hoping to maybe solve it within the nect 4-5 hours before nightfall. I would LOVE to be able to do finishing touches on the fretboard (I ****ed up and put the wrong material as sealer, so now Im going to sand the fretboard, lemon oil it up, let it dry, then put Teak oil on as finisher as to preserve the rosewood... but only AFTER the painting and finishing is done.) and then maybe assemble this thing tomorrow or the day after..... Help anyone?

here is a reference photo, I just took it.

Last edited by SunliteGuitar : 01-08-2013 at 07:01 PM.
SunliteGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
Rusty_Chisel

I think your two paints are incompatible with each other, that is why you are getting that effect. Mixing Rustoleum and Krylon probably is the biggest problem but you can also have issues with the same brand if the paints are different. I had this happen to me when I first started. I think I mixed enamel and acrylic.

You will need to sand it back to at least the primer and then use a compatible paint. however, to avoid any issues, I would sand back to wood and start fresh.

For people that have used Krylon and Rustoleum, which do they prefer???
Rusty_Chisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
mark.bark
Laugh often and sleep in

unfortunately i am no help for your painting issue, but the custom inlays interest me. Did you do the work yourself? lemme seeeeee
mark.bark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
Explorerbuilder

RC is right, that is a compatibility issue, probably along with spraying the coats to heavy.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_Chisel
I think your two paints are incompatible with each other, that is why you are getting that effect. Mixing Rustoleum and Krylon probably is the biggest problem but you can also have issues with the same brand if the paints are different. I had this happen to me when I first started. I think I mixed enamel and acrylic.

You will need to sand it back to at least the primer and then use a compatible paint. however, to avoid any issues, I would sand back to wood and start fresh.

For people that have used Krylon and Rustoleum, which do they prefer???

Most Krylon and Rustoleum are enamel. enamel and laquer do not mix. I use Duplicolor Acrylic laquer on most of my solid (black/white) guitars. But I use Minwax acrylic laquer for my clear coats.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #6
kiaba94

I had a similar issue on my first paint attempt.

i sprayed an enamel over a acrylic and it did the exact same thing yours did.

I would suggest sanding back to bare wood and start over with all the same types of paint.

also if possible i would suggest getting a small hvlp gun setup, i have had mine for about a year now and it makes painting so much easier.
kiaba94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
Rusty_Chisel

Robgnarly

how hard is the miniwax acrylic. I do not like the duplicoat clear as it never seems to fully cure and is very soft.

sorry to steal the thread
Rusty_Chisel is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: