Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-10-2013, 01:01 AM   #21
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020

-solder not triple heat shrink sealed

-no gold plating

-blue is proven to suck tone

2/10 would not use

Check out my band!

One Night in Paris
AxSilentxLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:04 AM   #22
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
i won't lie i do have it bookmarked.

but it's the classifieds.

Of course.

I know you like MLP; but, do you go to The LP Forum?

Old 01-10-2013, 02:24 AM   #23
gregs1020
Hi mom!

^ no i couldn't register there because i use gmail and their reg system denies all gmail addys. or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxSilentxLine

-no gold plating

2/10 would not use

blue actually improves tone.

it's a proven fact that having a blue gem light on your amp will make your fragile harmonics last longer.

and please, do not buy one, that way there will be more on clearance for me.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #24
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxSilentxLine

-no gold plating

2/10 would not use

But each one comes with this free, because the manufacturers know....

Last edited by Arby911 : 09-04-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #25
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
And did you clean the plugs on the old cables properly before comparing them? Were the old cables still in as good a condition as when they were new or had they been stomped all over?
I smell unknown variables.

+1

Ice cream causes drowning too. Just look at the stats.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #26
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
But each one comes with this free, because the manufacturers know....

i don't wanna know what you googled to find that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #27
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i don't wanna know what you googled to find that

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=anal+lube

teehee...
Old 01-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #28
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1ng_chung
Don't trust anyone who says that "guitar cables don't matter" or that "all cables are the same, Monsters are just as good as the $5/20 feet off-brand ones". I used to believe this statement until just today.

I used to think that my amp had muffled tone. That it took in all the guitar frequencies and mushed them together in its preamp.

Then, I bought a new cable, a VOX 9m coil, to replace my old Livewire 10 ft.

The new cable has opened up my amp in so many ways, my tone alone, just strumming the open strings, became 2 times better, literally within 5 seconds of plugging the cable in. My clean channel suddenly became full, and my OD, which before I thought was useless trying to make sound nice, started to growl like a Marshall and a Bassman.

Now, I do use a MG100HDFX on its respective MG412 cab, but I also have played lots of expensive amps as well (mostly in GC), so I can testify that it sounded pretty damn good.

Unexpected thing was that the new cable was 3 times as long as the old one, but had much more effective transfer of tone.

Moral of this story: Cables matter!
I was agreeing with you until the bolded sentence.

The quality of the cables you use absolutely does matter and a piece of shit cable can ruin the tone of an entire rig using a tube amp, yes.

But if you are using a really shitty SS amp like an MG or running your signal through 200 pedals, the difference in cable quality is negligible and you are wasting your time. If shitty amps like Spiders and MG's can't accentuate the unique qualites of different pickups and tone woods, how the hell are cables going to make any difference?
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #29
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

but live wire cables aren't really shit.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #30
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
I was agreeing with you until the bolded sentence.

The quality of the cables you use absolutely does matter and a piece of shit cable can ruin the tone of an entire rig using a tube amp, yes.

But if you are using a really shitty SS amp like an MG or running your signal through 200 pedals, the difference in cable quality is negligible and you are wasting your time. If shitty amps like Spiders and MG's can't accentuate the unique qualites of different pickups and tone woods, how the hell are cables going to make any difference?

I was agreeing with you until the bolded phrase. The more pedals you have the more important your cables are, because there is simply more cable.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #31
mmolteratx
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
but live wire cables aren't really shit.

They kind of are, tone wise. Very high capacitance compared to something like Mogami even. Though I'd be willing to bet that capacitance is a lot lower than his coily cable (especially since it's 1/3 the length), and it doesn't have the inductance that the coily cable has, so it should let more highs pass in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
I was agreeing with you until the bolded phrase. The more pedals you have the more important your cables are, because there is simply more cable.

Well, to some extent. After a certain point, you're gonna be getting pretty significant signal loss regardless of your cables. But if you're running that many pedals, you should have a buffer to eliminate the difference.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #32
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
Well, to some extent. After a certain point, you're gonna be getting pretty significant signal loss regardless of your cables. But if you're running that many pedals, you should have a buffer to eliminate the difference.
This, plus with more patch cables veing thrown out in the mix one is likely to be a dud/tone sucker, unless they are all of top quality and have a slim rate of failure.
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #33
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

i meant they hold up extremely well. whatever.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #34
mmolteratx
UG God

Quote:
i meant they hold up extremely well. whatever.

I had 3 and they all fell apart within 6 months. Not terrible since they've got a lifetime warranty, but I'd never buy one again. Especially when I can build considerably nicer cables cheaper.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Old 01-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #35
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
I had 3 and they all fell apart within 6 months. Not terrible since they've got a lifetime warranty, but I'd never buy one again. Especially when I can build considerably nicer cables cheaper.

Build me sum...

I use live wire, but I never from from my bedroom, so if something falls apart, it is truly. truly shit.

I will eventually upgrade to better ones, but cables are always last on my priority list.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #36
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

well damn. I abuse mine (as in i flipped an amp over on one of mine) and it works fine.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #37
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
well damn. I abuse mine (as in i flipped an amp over on one of mine) and it works fine.

I have the same experience with Monster Cable (well, not LITERALLY that experience, but I've had no issues with mine, despite use and abuse) and if I had a nickel for ever person that claims they're shit, I would be able to buy the company. I've only had one Monster Cable ever fail on me, and it was an XLR cable that was given to me by it's second owner, making me the third, so I'm not complaining.

Like I've always said, as long as you buy a cable that has a lifetime warranty, you'll be fine. It's going to be a quality cable and isn't likely to fail. Sure, you'll have lemons like with anything, and you'll have the people that swear up and down that every one they buy fails within an hour, but if that was actually the case, the company would go under with all of the returns.

Sure, each brand is going to have slightly different tone, but if you're that obssessed to the point of trying 12 different brands of cable to "get your tone" then you have too much time and need a lady friend that will spend naughty time with you.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #38
jetwash69

So far (in about 5+ years), the only problems I've had cable-wise was with connectors.

That was with mic cable that Musician's Friend had sold under the Live Wire name, but clearly they weren't Live Wire. I cut the cheap XLRs off and replaced with Neutriks; no more problems. The customer support folks sent me a replacement and didn't want the old ones back. The replacement was just as bad as the original, so I replaced the connectors on it too and now it's fine. Guitar Center (same company) sells that same cable as a generic off the floor.

The only cables I've really hated were Hosas; which is kind of funny since that's just Neutrik's Made in China brand. The connectors were fine, but the cable itself was too thick and not pliable enough. It gets kinked easily.

Mogami is the same company as MXL microphones. They use the same Neutrik connectors that come on real Live Wires. Has anyone actually tested capacitance on Mogami cable? I'm not impressed with the parent company and wonder if Mogami isn't a little like Monster.

Last edited by jetwash69 : 01-10-2013 at 11:08 PM.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #39
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

seeing as this has turned into a cable review thread, what do y'all think of the lower end Monster cables? like the s-100
Old 01-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #40
mmolteratx
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
I have the same experience with Monster Cable (well, not LITERALLY that experience, but I've had no issues with mine, despite use and abuse) and if I had a nickel for ever person that claims they're shit, I would be able to buy the company. I've only had one Monster Cable ever fail on me, and it was an XLR cable that was given to me by it's second owner, making me the third, so I'm not complaining.

Like I've always said, as long as you buy a cable that has a lifetime warranty, you'll be fine. It's going to be a quality cable and isn't likely to fail. Sure, you'll have lemons like with anything, and you'll have the people that swear up and down that every one they buy fails within an hour, but if that was actually the case, the company would go under with all of the returns.

Sure, each brand is going to have slightly different tone, but if you're that obssessed to the point of trying 12 different brands of cable to "get your tone" then you have too much time and need a lady friend that will spend naughty time with you.

I've had two Monsters break. One was completely my fault as I ran over it and destroyed the tip. The other just stopped working.

And I've only had different brands of cable because they kept breaking and I decided to try new brands. One break is too many if it's at a critical time. Would never buy a machine soldered cable again for that reason. They're all pretty shit in that regard. Longest lasting cable I had was a Mogami that lasted 2 years before it got stolen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69
So far (in about 5+ years), the only problems I've had cable-wise was with connectors.

That was with mic cable that Musician's Friend had sold under the Live Wire name, but clearly they weren't Live Wire. I cut the cheap XLRs off and replaced with Neutriks; no more problems. The customer support folks sent me a replacement and didn't want the old ones back. The replacement was just as bad as the original, so I replaced the connectors on it too and now it's fine. Guitar Center (same company) sells that same cable as a generic off the floor.

The only cables I've really hated were Hosas; which is kind of funny since that's just Neutrik's Made in China brand. The connectors were fine, but the cable itself was too thick and not pliable enough. It gets kinked easily.

Mogamy is the same company as MXL microphones. They use the same Neutrik connectors that come on real Live Wires. Has anyone actually tested capacitance on Mogamy cable? I'm not impressed with the parent company and wonder if Mogamy isn't a little like Monster.

Mogamis measure around 33pF/ft on my LCR meter. The Live Wires I had were over 3 times that.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Rate This Thread: