Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #41
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I've used the S-100 cables. That's what I use for patch cables between pedals and for my effects loop. In addition, I used one as my main instrumen cable before I got my higher quality monster one. I really would only buy this stuff from them, except when talking about speaker cables. The only reason I got the 21' expensive one is because it was a gift.

I think they hold up just fine. That being said, the speaker cable I had that broke was from this line of cables. However, I have no clue how old it is or how much the previous users abused it. In fact, I would be willing to bet that if I took it to a store, I could get it replaced without question, so I really don't care too much. If not, I ould easily just buy a new one and return that one with the new one's packaging and reciept.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #42
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
I've had two Monsters break. One was completely my fault as I ran over it and destroyed the tip. The other just stopped working.

And I've only had different brands of cable because they kept breaking and I decided to try new brands. One break is too many if it's at a critical time. Would never buy a machine soldered cable again for that reason. They're all pretty shit in that regard. Longest lasting cable I had was a Mogami that lasted 2 years before it got stolen.

Mogamis measure around 33pF/ft on my LCR meter. The Live Wires I had were over 3 times that.

If you expect a cable to last forever and not fail even once, I would rate that as a little high on the expectations scale

I've had my 21' Monster for 5 years now and it hasn't had a single issue. I've gigged with it for 4 of those years. Then, I've got another Monster that's 6' and an S-100 that I've had for 7 or 8 years now, with the past 4 of those bing gigging, and it still works perfectly. I've had my patch cables for 3 or 4 years, depending on the cable, and none of those have failed (all S-100), and that XLR cable I've had for 3 years, and the previous owner had it for probably 5. When it finally died, I had been using it for my footswitch cable, so it was getting some serious abuse. It's also been used for plenty of gigs and practices as a vocalist's mic cable.

I see that failure rate as completely acceptable to me, so I'm sticking with Monster.

Also, I wasn't saying that you shouldn't try different cables, but chasing "cable tone" seems like time and money that could be spent more wisely. Such as on Booze.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:18 PM   #43
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
seeing as this has turned into a cable review thread...

Well it might as well since TS is long gone.

I'm surprised none of us noticed and/or jumped all over this little gem TS left us in his second (and last) post:

"All inspirational statements aside, it doesn't exactly sound as good as a tube amp when you play it without adding "flavor" through methods of vibrato or this other thing that I can't quite explain but I do all the time when playing thru my amp. Then it sounds as good as a tube."

Hell, if that works for me too, then I can just sell my all-tube Marshall and add flavor by using vibrato with my MG. With my luck that won't work with the 30 watt MGs, only the 100 watt MGs

Quote:
Mogamis measure around 33pF/ft on my LCR meter. The Live Wires I had were over 3 times that.

I'm impressed. Didn't think most UGers had gear that could measure that. But then again, my multimeter is just a couple of years older than you, mmolteratx Got it as a high school graduation present and it was pretty badass for a consumer product of it's day. Still works like new, but it never could measure inductance or capacitance. Just voltage, amperage, and resistance.

Still wonder whether there are other variables even in your test--like the ones Cathbard mentioned. Or others.

BTW, I used to think Live Wire was crap when I was brand new to all this until I learned about Neutrik connectors and until I was surprised by some of the professionals and venues I've seen use Live Wire. I don't think any of my cables are long enough to make an audible difference in tone, but maybe that's just because I tend to use a lot of distortion.

Last edited by jetwash69 : 01-10-2013 at 11:36 PM.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:45 AM   #44
gregs1020
plays with his peters.

i love cables.

i broke a monster cable too.

had it a few years and it started to crackle when i moved the end by where it connected to the plug.

nothing lasts forever. not even diamonds.

Last edited by gregs1020 : 01-11-2013 at 12:48 AM.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:35 AM   #45
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Old 01-11-2013, 03:16 AM   #46
mmolteratx
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69
I'm impressed. Didn't think most UGers had gear that could measure that. But then again, my multimeter is just a couple of years older than you, mmolteratx Got it as a high school graduation present and it was pretty badass for a consumer product of it's day. Still works like new, but it never could measure inductance or capacitance. Just voltage, amperage, and resistance.

Still wonder whether there are other variables even in your test--like the ones Cathbard mentioned. Or others.

BTW, I used to think Live Wire was crap when I was brand new to all this until I learned about Neutrik connectors and until I was surprised by some of the professionals and venues I've seen use Live Wire. I don't think any of my cables are long enough to make an audible difference in tone, but maybe that's just because I tend to use a lot of distortion.

Well, I was a very enthusiastic EE major up until this last semester. Still have all of my equipment and access to the labs. Not really any variables. Mogami, Monster, Live Wire, Planet Waves, Best-Tronics' house brand a few others were cut to identical lengths and measured without connectors. The connectors themselves actually have a pretty high capacitance, but most conductors are pretty similar in that regard and there are only 2 or 3 designs being used for the most part.

And I really wouldn't say any cable is crap. It's just about what you want out of it. I don't really worry about it much these days. Just use the Best-Tronics stuff because it's cheap as shit and very flexible.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
Suhr Classic T
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:49 AM   #47
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

i own probably a dozen 21' monster rock cables. the first batch i got 50% off at samash for some reason i think it was one of the contests i won, so they were pretty reasonable. probably picked up six there, than three or four years ago i see this ad on CL selling monster cables, the guy had them listed in general as 40% of current prices, so i bought up everything he had monster.

i have broken two monsters, both were completely my fault. i handed it over the counter and i got a brand new boxed one handed back to me and i was out in five minutes both times. i didn't even have receipts or anything, and didn't even buy the cables from them (especially with half of them coming from that guy on CL)

i use what i have. they do me fine.

but i know i keep mentioning i am going to pick up 150' of cable and a bunch of switchcraft jacks that matt recommended me and never buy a cable again in my life. i will buy it but i have other priorities and also have plenty of extra cables as is.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #48
jetwash69

Quote:
Well, I was a very enthusiastic EE major up until this last semester. ...

I was also a very enthusiastic EE major up until the first month was up and I noticed myself spending extra time on Poly-Sci homework to avoid Math homework. So much for 6 years of wanting to be an engineer prior to that--switched to History.

Professionally I have no regrets about that decision. Only times I wish I had stuck it out are when I get the occasional urge to build a gadget or mod some electronics. I can do some basic stuff, but doesn't take much to get in over my head. Based on what I've seen since then, tech training might be more appropriate for the personal stuff I'd like to do anyway.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:10 AM   #49
shashivarun

hey guys, i am new to UG forums and wanted some info on guitar cables.

i have bought a vox vac-13 cable and only after buying i realized it is designed for acoustic guitar.
i want to know if i can use it for my electric too. i have a PRS-Tremonti & Vox VT20+ amp.

In general, will acoustic guitar cables do any harm ( in sound) if used for electric guitar with distortion.

thanks
Shashi
shashivarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #50
gregs1020
plays with his peters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashivarun

i have bought a vox vac-13 cable and only after buying i realized it is designed for acoustic guitar.
i want to know if i can use it for my electric too. i have a PRS-Tremonti & Vox VT20+ amp.

In general, will acoustic guitar cables do any harm ( in sound) if used for electric guitar with distortion.

thanks
Shashi

it should be fine.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #51
|Long|
String Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashivarun

thanks
Shashi

There are no differences in acoustic and electric guitar cables.
So what ever you bought, was just marketing. You're fine.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #52
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69
I was also a very enthusiastic EE major up until the first month was up and I noticed myself spending extra time on Poly-Sci homework to avoid Math homework. So much for 6 years of wanting to be an engineer prior to that--switched to History.

Professionally I have no regrets about that decision. Only times I wish I had stuck it out are when I get the occasional urge to build a gadget or mod some electronics. I can do some basic stuff, but doesn't take much to get in over my head. Based on what I've seen since then, tech training might be more appropriate for the personal stuff I'd like to do anyway.

I'm studying ME and the math is certainly not easy. Hopefully it pays off though. I thought about going EE just for the sake of knowing more about building guitar gear but I figured that's the kind of thing I can just do most of my own research on and maybe take a couple of electronic related electives.
Effects - TS9, MXR 10 Band EQ, Carbon Copy Delay
-Digitech RP1000
Tremolo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #53
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

not this thread again :O
Old 01-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #54
Silver Hilton
Old enough

Sorry, I don't buy it. I've run the gamut of cables. I currently have a Peavey ($20), a Zaolla ($140), and one that cost somewhere in between ($45), and am comfortable saying that there is no audible difference between them. Amp and guitar settings are much more dominant than anything a cable contributes to the sound. You'll get more variance from a 1/16inch turn of the tone dial. Any electrical engineer will tell you the same: a shielded 10 foot cable is a shielded 10 foot cable. They either have good connections and work or they don't. The only people that will tell you different are either selling expensive cables or deluding themselves.

The spendy cables usually have better fittings, so I think they will last longer. But I rue the day I paid for the Zaolla cable.

It's the same as the discussion around speaker wire. Monster cable is a fraud perpetrated on those with more money than sense. Copper of a given gauge is copper of a given gauge. See this article for some humor on the topic: http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2007/...i-calls-ou.html
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
Silver Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #55
mmolteratx
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Hilton
Sorry, I don't buy it. I've run the gamut of cables. I currently have a Peavey ($20), a Zaolla ($140), and one that cost somewhere in between ($45), and am comfortable saying that there is no audible difference between them. Amp and guitar settings are much more dominant than anything a cable contributes to the sound. You'll get more variance from a 1/16inch turn of the tone dial. Any electrical engineer will tell you the same: a shielded 10 foot cable is a shielded 10 foot cable. They either have good connections and work or they don't. The only people that will tell you different are either selling expensive cables or deluding themselves.

The spendy cables usually have better fittings, so I think they will last longer. But I rue the day I paid for the Zaolla cable.

It's the same as the discussion around speaker wire. Monster cable is a fraud perpetrated on those with more money than sense. Copper of a given gauge is copper of a given gauge. See this article for some humor on the topic: http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2007/...i-calls-ou.html

I'm an EE major again, so I think my qualifications magically returned. The impact of the cable depends entirely on the system as a whole. There's certainly no reason to pay $100+ for a cable though, and worrying too much about it is silly. However, there is a measurable difference in frequency response with crap cables and stuff around the $40-50 range (with some exceptions, and a lot of the really expensive stuff is actually equal to the really cheap stuff in sound, since the high end roll off associated with cheap cables is appreciated as being "warm") in the typical circuit resulting from a guitar and some pedals into an amp's input. Anything pricier than that isn't really worth it, IMO, and on top of the silly prices, they tend to be stupid stiff with very high shape memory, both of which are terrible qualities for a guitar cable, particularly one being used on stage.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
Suhr Classic T
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT
Old 01-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #56
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
not this thread again :O

I was almost 100% certain Colin was going to be in here within 5 minutes of it being made to lock it.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:49 PM   #57
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr_salamander
I was almost 100% certain Colin was going to be in here within 5 minutes of it being made to lock it.

Yeah, if for no other reason, then for who the TS is. IIRC, he has a disproportionally high amount of locked threads.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #58
Wantaansoup22

The cables that I have used, and will continue to use is Best-Tronics Pro Audio cables. They used to be called guitar-cable.com. Their cables are extremely high quality and have lasted since I bought them (1st one purchased in '04 and still works like a charm!). Some can be a bit more pricey than cables you find in your local music shop, but in my opinion its well worth it.

Just figured I would throw my two cents in here, since I didn't see them mentioned at all!
Wantaansoup22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #59
mmolteratx
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantaansoup22
The cables that I have used, and will continue to use is Best-Tronics Pro Audio cables. They used to be called guitar-cable.com. Their cables are extremely high quality and have lasted since I bought them (1st one purchased in '04 and still works like a charm!). Some can be a bit more pricey than cables you find in your local music shop, but in my opinion its well worth it.

Just figured I would throw my two cents in here, since I didn't see them mentioned at all!

I would berate you for a necro, but yes, I love the Best-Tronics stuff. Best value in cables if you're willing to solder yourself.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
Suhr Classic T
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Rate This Thread: