Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
switchfooter

New pedals

Hi everyone

I'm interested in getting some pedals now that I'm starting a band. The current amp I'm using is a fender mustang 2, current guitar is a strat, and I have a DS-1.

What I'm looking at getting would be Delay, Chorus, Compression, Overdrive, and Noise suppressor pedals.

What brands would be the best for each pedal? I would like to stay as cheap as possible.

Thanks
switchfooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
gerraguitar

you're going to get a bunch of people who are gonna say you need a new amp. putting all those effects into that amp isn't really going to be the best sound, if i remember correctly can't the amp itself do some effects already?

but to answer your question...boss, mxr, joyo, digitech all make cheap pedals. you could build an entire board with those effects you listed with boss pedals if you shopped used for under $300 probably.

but seriously, amp first
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
gerraguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah amp first, especially if you're gigging. all-tube is the thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
switchfooter

Thanks for the quick replies!

About the amp, yes I know it isn't the best, but the tube amp I'm saving for ('65 twin reverb) costs a lot more than I have to spend, and while it doesn't sound half as good as the real thing, the 65 twin channel takes pedals quite well. Also the mustang does have some of the effects built in, but its a complete PITA to change in the middle of a song.

Does anyone have any good experiences with Danelectro pedals? I hear that the fab echo, and fab chorus are excellent for less than $20 a piece.

And for the noise suppressor, does anyone no anything about the Behringer one? I know Behringer pedals are usually crap but its $75 cheaper than a boss noise suppressor.

thanks
Old 01-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
gerraguitar

glad to hear your eyes are set on a twin! i love my twin, for what it's worth search the used market and you could grab an old silverface one for good money. i got mine for less than a grand and they work just as well as the BF ones.

the first set of pedals that i got were all danelectro, and i hated them all so much. but, i have heard good things about some of them, but i myself would never get one. same thing with behringer only i have never heard any good things about them, but do some listening on youtube and if you can try any out at a shop or something that helps too. i'm going to reiterate my boss suggestion simply because they are really solid choices for "starting out" pedals, get each one used and you'll be set, you can get a super overdrive for like $25.

but anyways, bottom line is just try stuff out
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
gerraguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
Robbgnarly

I bought a second hand MXR Smart Gate for $49 off guitarcenters used site. They are $130 new it works great and looks brand new.

used Digitech bad Monkey $35ish This is a pretty good OD

I do agree you should look for a new amp first. What is your budget you'd be suprised at what you can get used.

There is a used fender twin for $500 on GC also.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

Last edited by Robbgnarly : 01-07-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
iwannabesedated
UG's King Sombra

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchfooter
Thanks for the quick replies!

About the amp, yes I know it isn't the best, but the tube amp I'm saving for ('65 twin reverb) costs a lot more than I have to spend, and while it doesn't sound half as good as the real thing, the 65 twin channel takes pedals quite well. Also the mustang does have some of the effects built in, but its a complete PITA to change in the middle of a song.

Does anyone have any good experiences with Danelectro pedals? I hear that the fab echo, and fab chorus are excellent for less than $20 a piece.

And for the noise suppressor, does anyone no anything about the Behringer one? I know Behringer pedals are usually crap but its $75 cheaper than a boss noise suppressor.

thanks

I wouldn't mess with Behringer unless you're looking to mod the crap out of them. Usually they sound alright but they kill your bypassed tone, and the plastic ones break pretty easily. Danelectro can sound okay too but they don't usually last long and I've only found them to sound okay.

Are you going to buy all your pedals new? Buying them used can help you get better stuff and get it for pretty cheap.

^Digitech Bad Monkey is a great cheap Overdrive.
iwannabesedated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
thebestjoe

I will probably get crap for saying this, but a multi-effect may be best while you save for your better amp. If you like the Mustang layout and the sound of its effects, the Mustang Floor just got price dropped to $200 new.

Then after you get the 65 Twin, then start to add quality individual pedals to replace the multi-effect. I mean, for example, how much better will a cheap chorus be over the chorus of an inexpensive DSP?
Schecter Omen-7 with X2N and D-Thing
Douglas Scope 727
thebestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

the other thing is, a pretty good amp might be a better idea than waiting forever for that twin (unless you can save up for the twin pretty quickly).

I've used this analogy before, but holding out for a ferrari when you already have a porsche and can save up for the ferrari pretty quickly is one thing. Holding out for a ferrari when you have a bicycle and will be saving forever, yet could buy a honda fairly quickly, is another.

Quote:
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #10
switchfooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
the other thing is, a pretty good amp might be a better idea than waiting forever for that twin (unless you can save up for the twin pretty quickly).

I've used this analogy before, but holding out for a ferrari when you already have a porsche and can save up for the ferrari pretty quickly is one thing. Holding out for a ferrari when you have a bicycle and will be saving forever, yet could buy a honda fairly quickly, is another.

Good analogy

I guess I could maybe get a small tube amp before the twin reverb, what are some good ones for around $250 used or new? I don't want to pour to much money into it because I'm saving for a car and stuff. Also, selling my mustang 2 is out of the question, although I do have another small fender ss amp that I wouldn't mind getting rid of.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
Robbgnarly

Bugera V22 is a pretty good fendery style amp. There are 3 on GuitarCenter used section for $269.
There are also 6 Fender Pro Jr for <$250 and 2 for <$200

Any of these would do you good
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #12
monwobobbo

as mentioned a different amp would be a better move. getting cheap fx seems like a bad move as your current amps built in fx are probably better. i'd suggest a Peavey Valveking. really good clean channel and a decent overdrive channel (just not great for modern metal). once you get an amp then worry about fx and there are better choices to be made once you know what you will be playing through.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:51 PM   #13
switchfooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Bugera V22 is a pretty good fendery style amp. There are 3 on GuitarCenter used section for $269.
There are also 6 Fender Pro Jr for <$250 and 2 for <$200

Any of these would do you good

Thanks for the suggestions!

Will the pro jr be loud enough for band practice and small gigs? Also, would a 5 watt tube amp ran through a cab be something to consider as well?
Old 01-08-2013, 12:28 AM   #14
tas38
UG's Michael Westen

I would say the V22 is more Voxy and the V55 is more Fendery. Bear in mind I've never played either, but that's what it sounds like on Youtube.

For cheap pedals, the Dan'o Chorus is pretty good. It's kinda subtle, but I rather like it. Trying to make it unsubtle leads to alien sounds, I've found a setting I really love for big cleans though.
Dan'o EQ: 9/10
Mooer Shimverb: 7/10
Digidelay: 8/10
Peavey Valveking 112 - Jensen MOD speaker: 8/10
tas38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #15
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchfooter
Also the mustang does have some of the effects built in, but its a complete PITA to change in the middle of a song.

Isn't there some kind of footswitch you can get for it? I don't know a lot about Mustangs, but I would figure there is one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monwobobbo
as mentioned a different amp would be a better move. getting cheap fx seems like a bad move as your current amps built in fx are probably better. i'd suggest a Peavey Valveking. really good clean channel and a decent overdrive channel (just not great for modern metal). once you get an amp then worry about fx and there are better choices to be made once you know what you will be playing through.

+1. We're talking super cheap here too, for a pretty decent amp. I've seen the 112 combos as cheap as $175 on Craigslist. It would take pedals better and sound better than your Mustang.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:55 AM   #16
M@NCHILD

^^ correct there is, my pops has the mustang v head and 4x12 cab and it came with a real nice 4 button foot switch. Ive played with it a couple times and got the tones needed to play sweet child o mine solo and all. but that pedal is a must!
M@NCHILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:19 AM   #17
switchfooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Isn't there some kind of footswitch you can get for it? I don't know a lot about Mustangs, but I would figure there is one.

+1. We're talking super cheap here too, for a pretty decent amp. I've seen the 112 combos as cheap as $175 on Craigslist. It would take pedals better and sound better than your Mustang.

The mustang 2 only takes a 1 button foot switch, which doesn't allow for control of effects, just two different amp channels.

What I need is to be able to switch between effects. For example, when I play californication I only need the two channels, one for distortion one for clean. but when that song is done, and lets say were (my band) playing boulevard of broken dreams next, I would not have the time to change all the amp settings.

Sorry for the long rant
Old 01-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #18
Offworld92
One among the fence.

If you want to go MIDI just invest in a Peavey Vypyt Tube and a Sanpera. Or a bigger Mustang and a footswitch for it.

Either way if you want to do a lot of channel/effect switching, then standalone pedals aren't the way to go.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #19
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah a valveking or a pro junior (if it has enough headroom) would be worth a look. haven't tried those bugeras. classic 30 maybe? (though that might be over budget even used)

Quote:

Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #20
Don't Taze Me B

I just saw someone mention the Bugera v22, from what I've heard, they sound good for how cheap they are, but they are massively unreliable, so I would probably avoid buying a used one.

But you probably should consider getting a new amp. I'd suggest with looking for a used tube amp cheap like the other people have been suggesting. Either that, or selling your Mustang II and getting a bigger Mustang with a foot controller for the time being while you save up for the Fender. Because honestly, the Mustang II might have a hard time keeping loud enough to be heard over a drummer live anyway.

Just my 2 cents.
Don't Taze Me B is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: