Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
Octavarius94

Unhappy Record Electronic Drums with Line 6 UX8?

Hey everyone, I am a newcomer to the digital recording world so excuse me if I use terms that aren't exactly correct or ask seemingly obvious questions.

I recently purchased a macbook pro to get started recording, and also purchased the Line 6 Toneport UX8 recording interface. So far I love it for recording guitar and bass, however the Guitar Center representative said I would be able to hook up my electronic drum kit into the 8 1/4 inputs on the back and record drums in garageband. I can't figure this out.

Now this "drumkit" is strange because it's actually an ION rocker pro drum kit made for playing Rock Band on Xbox (picked it up for cheap at a thrift store). From what I can tell the pads are no different from any other electronic drums (just a 1/4 input on the back). I plugged the 7 drums straight into the input on the back and have the UX8 plugged into the computer. With some of the drums I can get response in garageband, but I cant find a way to properly get any sounds or record anything.

Some say I need to purchase a drum module, I was thinking something along the lines of the Alesis D4?? But does that have the outputs to send to the UX8????

I'm very confused here and any help would be greatly appreciated. There's no way I can write music being limited to the shitty preset garageband drum loops

THANKS!

P.S. If it seems there's no way that this setup can work, please feel free to point me in the direction of a setup (new Edrums?) that would work or that most people use to record drums electronically.
Octavarius94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

The USB from the drum kit should pass midi data and thus you'll need no more than that.

Also they UX8 was probably not the best choice you could of made for that amount of money...

I'd take it back and split the cash between a Saffire 2i4 and a copy of Steven Slate Drums 4 Ex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
Octavarius94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
The USB from the drum kit should pass midi data and thus you'll need no more than that.

Also they UX8 was probably not the best choice you could of made for that amount of money...

I'd take it back and split the cash between a Saffire 2i4 and a copy of Steven Slate Drums 4 Ex.

Well the UX8 was on clearance so I grabbed it for $250 and for guitar so far I like it. Also I'm not sure what you mean by the USB from the drum kit. Essentially what I have are just pads and cables.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Well fair enough, the Saffire stuff is still cheaper with better pre's than that but whatever, I'm not gonna fight with ya

And ah okay, then yes, you do need a drum module ^_^

Quote:
Old 01-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #5
Octavarius94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
Well fair enough, the Saffire stuff is still cheaper with better pre's than that but whatever, I'm not gonna fight with ya

And ah okay, then yes, you do need a drum module ^_^

Unfortunately I can't return it as I've already installed the software :/ Whatever, It's good enough for now, and with my eBay knowledge I should be able to get a decent chunk back in the future and possibly try out the Saffire

So once I get a drum module I should be able to plug it into the USB slot and record straight into garageband??
Old 01-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

If the module supports it, yes. I think most of them have midi outs these days via usb.

Quote:
Old 01-09-2013, 05:05 AM   #7
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

I quite like the UX8 to be honest. The preamps aren't anything special but they're not bad at all, and it's a really nicely built piece of kit.

Try the Alesis TriggerIO - it's pretty cheap and designed expressly for plugging drums into USB.

That said, there really is no reason you couldn't plug all the drums straight into the UX8 and use software audio>MIDI conversion. After all, that's all a brain does!

Rate This Thread: