Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #1
davis_kiel

Good audiobooks

I'm looking for good audiobooks.
My job is boring as shit and I listen to music/books to make the time pass quicker.
So far I have listened to the entire Ricky Gervais podcast/radio shows, Billy Connelly, Robin Williams, Denis Leary and other stand ups.

I recently discovered Max Brooks' World War Z and was quite impressed. Can anyone else recommend some audio books worth listening to? I tried Harry Potter, but got sick of them. Any suggestions are welcome

Cheers
davis_kiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
LightxGrenade

What types of novels are you into? If you're into dystopian society books (I'm guessing you are since you enjoyed World War Z) I suggest you check out:
"A Canticle for Leibowitz" - not your typical sci-fi book, not a lot of violence it's much more about the philosophy of living in dystopia
"Cloud Atlas" (recently made into a movie with Tom Hanks in it),
"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Philip K Dick (book that the movie Blade Runner is based on)

If you like books that deal with history/racial conflict/class conflict check out
Norman Mailer's "Armies of the Night"
Richard Wright's "Native Son"
Ralph Ellison's "Invisible Man"
The last 2 are particularly interesting because Wright's work was so controversial and polarizing that Ellison was motivated to write Invisible Man.

I like reading the Game of Thrones series but I could totally see that getting annoying because of the constant use of words and phrases that sound like they're from the 16th century hehe.
Btw since you said you liked World War Z, did you know it's being made into a movie? Brad Pitt is going to play the lead character but judging from the trailer it's going to be nothing like the book unfortunately.
Carvin DC727 (ordered! The wait is driving me nuts!)
LightxGrenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
Pagan_Poetry
The Twilight Stoned

Originally Posted by SanjePaCapota
pagan poetry is a hermaphrodite

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVER9000VIDEOS

HhOLLY SUCKC **** LMFAOO
Pagan_Poetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
theogonia777
Professional Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis_kiel
Any suggestions are welcome

Here's an idea: why don't you just do your job? Maybe if you didn't spend so much time slacking off and actually tried doing your assigned work it wouldn't be so boring?

Now quit slacking off and get back to work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
That's right I have a four inch penis.

Now you have no excuse... | On Toni Loomi - The Origin of "Loombag"
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
davis_kiel

Hey man thanks for the reply.
To be honest I listened to World War Z, because I finished watching Band of Brothers and was searching for audio books on WWII. Came across WWZ and was intrigued. I heard about the film, but thought the trailer looked quite naff. Got a bad first impression from the trailer but will most definitely go and see it. If it's anything like the book, then it will be alright.

Thanks for all the tips, will see if I can get them. Anything but Game of Thrones. I've seen bits of the TV show and I know somewhat what it is about. It just really doesn't appeal to me at all. I have the same with Lord of the Rings. It's just not for me.

Right now I am reading a book called 'I Heard You Paint Houses' by Charles Brandt. It is based on one of the biggest mob hits. So far so good, but I have only read the first couple of chapters. Apparently Martin Scorsese is going to make a film out of it staring DeNiro, Pachino and Pesci. That's one I'm quite looking forward to.

Cheers
davis_kiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: