Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #1
blankblink
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Question New Guitar or MultiFX?

So I was planning to buy a multiFX pedal(Joyo GEM Box) when I saw this Les Paul with a Floyd Rose trem. I have the money. The problem is just that I really don't know which one I should buy. I have a guitar(Yamaha ERG121 with DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary on the bridge position) and a 10W amp(Yamaha GA-10, I think) Could you guys help me decide?
blankblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
terribleguitar
Really terrible guitarist
 
terribleguitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Moscow
Neither of those. Buy a new amp.
terribleguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:45 AM   #3
unplugged89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by terribleguitar
Neither of those. Buy a new amp.


+1

I love it when people talk sense.
unplugged89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
blankblink
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by terribleguitar
Neither of those. Buy a new amp.


I'm actually fine with the amp I have at the moment.It's just a practice amp anyway.But if ever, what amp should I buy if I'm just going to use it for practicing at my room?
blankblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:53 AM   #5
terribleguitar
Really terrible guitarist
 
terribleguitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Moscow
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankblink
I'm actually fine with the amp I have at the moment.It's just a practice amp anyway.But if ever, what amp should I buy if I'm just going to use it for practicing at my room?

A better and more high-quality practice amp with better electronics and a better speaker, for example.
terribleguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #6
blankblink
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by terribleguitar
A better and more high-quality practice amp with better electronics and a better speaker, for example.


An 18W Tube Amp from Guyatone Perhaps?
blankblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
jjfeu662
Celestia
 
jjfeu662's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South of Cincinnati
Get a Peavey Vypyr. They're $200 for the 30 watt (the better one) and $100 for the 15 watt (the smaller one). I do not have the money for one myself but everyone on this forum seems to worship them. They have a TON of pre-programmed effects so who needs a multi-FX?
__________________
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs
ALL HAIL CELESTIA
jjfeu662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:28 AM   #8
blankblink
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfeu662
Get a Peavey Vypyr. They're $200 for the 30 watt (the better one) and $100 for the 15 watt (the smaller one). I do not have the money for one myself but everyone on this forum seems to worship them. They have a TON of pre-programmed effects so who needs a multi-FX?






How about that amp?Cause I don't think I have enough money for a Peavey amp.
blankblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #9
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.
 
GaryBillington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Trow Vegas
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankblink
How about that amp?Cause I don't think I have enough money for a Peavey amp.

At work so I can't actually see that video, but one thing really hits me with that post - if you're saying you can't afford the Peavey amp, then you definitely shouldn't be considering the guitar that in the OP you say you can afford as an upgrade.

What exactly are your goals with upgraded equipment, and what is your budget?
__________________
.
Gibson LP Studio x2, SG Special Plus, Midtown Custom
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
GaryBillington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #10
blankblink
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
At work so I can't actually see that video, but one thing really hits me with that post - if you're saying you can't afford the Peavey amp, then you definitely shouldn't be considering the guitar that in the OP you say you can afford as an upgrade.

What exactly are your goals with upgraded equipment, and what is your budget?


I would like my sound to be good (through multiFX or the maximization of the use of Floyd Rose,maybe?). And in getting an Les Paul with an FR, it's because I'd like to: have a Les Paul, have a guitar with a Floyd Rose trem, and have a spare guitar for drop and step-down tunings. For my budget,I have about USD 220
blankblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.
 
GaryBillington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Trow Vegas
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankblink
I would like my sound to be good (through multiFX or the maximization of the use of Floyd Rose,maybe?). And in getting an Les Paul with an FR, it's because I'd like to: have a Les Paul, have a guitar with a Floyd Rose trem, and have a spare guitar for drop and step-down tunings. For my budget,I have about USD 220

OK, so you're definitely looking at two completely different things here.

1) If you want your sound to be good, you need a new amp. The amp is (arguably) the biggest influence on your sound, so an improvement there is definitely required. The Vypyr recommended earlier would be a good place to start.

2) If you want a spare guitar with a Floyd Rose, fair enough, but I doubt one that only costs that much would be very highly recommended - unless you've found a particularly good used bargain. Aside from being an LP with FR, what is the exact make & model?

Personally I'd say focus on the amp first, it will be the biggest improvement in your setup.

You have to decide which you want - $220 won't buy both.
__________________
.
Gibson LP Studio x2, SG Special Plus, Midtown Custom
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
GaryBillington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #12
blankblink
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
OK, so you're definitely looking at two completely different things here.

1) If you want your sound to be good, you need a new amp. The amp is (arguably) the biggest influence on your sound, so an improvement there is definitely required. The Vypyr recommended earlier would be a good place to start.

2) If you want a spare guitar with a Floyd Rose, fair enough, but I doubt one that only costs that much would be very highly recommended - unless you've found a particularly good used bargain. Aside from being an LP with FR, what is the exact make & model?

Personally I'd say focus on the amp first, it will be the biggest improvement in your setup.

You have to decide which you want - $220 won't buy both.


I play in a music studio together with my band. The studio has 60W amplifiers(Fender,Peavey,Vox.I don't know what models) that are ready to be used. That's why I'm really not prioritizing my budget on good 15W amplifiers that I'll only use in playing at home. So I think we can say that I have a good amplifier. It's just that it's not mine. We just rent it on a studio, together with the drums and all except for the guitars. With that said, what should I get?
blankblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #13
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.
 
GaryBillington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Trow Vegas
If anything, to me that just means you need a decent amp even more than ever. OK, so you can use the studio's amps for when you're rehearsing. What are you going to do when you get a gig?

It may be a cliche, but in your case it's more true than ever: What you really need is a new amp.
__________________
.
Gibson LP Studio x2, SG Special Plus, Midtown Custom
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
GaryBillington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #14
TuningGamer
2 years and going strong
 
TuningGamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: The Netherlands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
If anything, to me that just means you need a decent amp even more than ever. OK, so you can use the studio's amps for when you're rehearsing. What are you going to do when you get a gig?

It may be a cliche, but in your case it's more true than ever: What you really need is a new amp.


This ^. Another thing is that even if you go used, I can't imagine you would get a quality guitar with a good Floyd Rose for just $220. It's sad, but true, really. At that point You'd better get a nice modeling amp or a good, secondhand hard tail guitar IMO.
__________________
Gear:

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowthewitch
The actual correct answer
TuningGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:19 AM   #15
blankblink
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
If anything, to me that just means you need a decent amp even more than ever. OK, so you can use the studio's amps for when you're rehearsing. What are you going to do when you get a gig?

It may be a cliche, but in your case it's more true than ever: What you really need is a new amp.


So would an 18W Tube amp from Guyatone suffice?I found someone selling a used one for about $75
blankblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:35 AM   #16
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.
 
GaryBillington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Trow Vegas
I don't have any experience with Guyatone amps, so can't say for sure but I can pretty much guarantee it will be better than what you're currently using.
__________________
.
Gibson LP Studio x2, SG Special Plus, Midtown Custom
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
GaryBillington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:47 AM   #17
blankblink
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
I don't have any experience with Guyatone amps, so can't say for sure but I can pretty much guarantee it will be better than what you're currently using.


But Guyatone Amps are pretty good,right???
blankblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #18
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.
 
GaryBillington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Trow Vegas
Like I said, I have no experience with them so can't say for sure, but I just googled them & read a couple of reviews, most of what I read was fairly positive.

Look at it this way: It will be an improvement on your current amp and if you're only spending $75 anyway you haven't got a lot to lose.
__________________
.
Gibson LP Studio x2, SG Special Plus, Midtown Custom
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
GaryBillington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #19
blankblink
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
Like I said, I have no experience with them so can't say for sure, but I just googled them & read a couple of reviews, most of what I read was fairly positive.

Look at it this way: It will be an improvement on your current amp and if you're only spending $75 anyway you haven't got a lot to lose.


Well great,then.Thanks. And another thing. I just saw this 30W amplifier by the brand Global. It sells for about $125. Do you think it's a good deal?Or is the brand really that cheap to the extent that the amplifiers actually don't sound good?
blankblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #20
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.
 
GaryBillington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Trow Vegas
Never heard of them! Googling didn't really help much either. With that in mind, I'd assume it's not going to be that great.

Another thing to think of, if you're seeing a 30w amp at that price, I'd expect it to be solid state. A solid state amp of that wattage probably won't be loud enough for gigging so it wouldn't be worth as much to you as the 18 watt tube amp you were talking about earlier that probably would be loud enough to gig with.
__________________
.
Gibson LP Studio x2, SG Special Plus, Midtown Custom
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
GaryBillington is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:20 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.