Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-10-2013, 04:42 AM   #21
Alucard817

The only things I don't like about the G-400 is the pups. You also have to be a bit careful with the headstock on SG's since they break a bit easier than most others due to being so thin.

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:51 AM   #22
danvwman

^ that sounds like 2 things that suck about them
Old 01-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #23
Alucard817

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvwman
^ that sounds like 2 things that suck about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard817
The only things

Gawd mein lern 2 red.

I know my attempted to sound like a 12 year old idiot fails.

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #24
woad_yurt

I have two Epi SGs. On both, the pickups were pretty bad (dull, weak, indistinct.) I only ever use the bridge pickup so I replaced them on both guitars. Neck and body-wise, one was really nice and the other was pretty much slapped together. I had to shave the neck pocket to align the neck to get the strings to pass directly over the pickup poles. Also, the tuners on that one were pretty crude affairs. I got it for almost nothing so I didn't mind. That said, that one is now my #1 guitar. I like them both equally except that the one is a bit lighter in weight.

If you want an Epi SG to ring and sustain, there's a guy on eBay selling NOS Washburn W623 pickups for $14.00 delivered; he has 4-5 left. Stick one in there and you've got yourself a smokin' guitar. There are other decent pickups available, new and used, but the 623s do it for me.

Last edited by woad_yurt : 01-10-2013 at 11:55 AM.
woad_yurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #25
LP1951

I would rather have a used Gibson than a new Epi. Once you replace the pups, electronics and tuners on the Epi, you still have an Epi and you will never get your money back if you have to sell it.

If you buy a used Gibson at a good price, you will have a quality guitar that will hold its value or appreciate in value over time.

Last edited by LP1951 : 01-10-2013 at 12:02 PM.
LP1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #26
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP1951
I would rather have a used Gibson than a new Epi. Once you replace the pups, electronics and tuners on the Epi, you still have an Epi and you will never get your money back if you have to sell it.

If you buy a used Gibson at a good price, you will have a quality guitar that will hold its value or appreciate in value over time.

Replacing things on it is going to decrease the value of the guitar regardless of whether it's a Gibson or an Epiphone. You're not going to get your money back on the Gibson either.

You're basically telling the TS not to get an Epi because it's an Epi.

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Charvel1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #27
T00DEEPBLUE
Hello Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charvel1995
You're not going to get your money back on the Gibson either.

Gibson's hold their value better than almost any other guitar. Gibson's are simply better guitars than Epiphone's and since you can get them from places like Samash so cheaply these days, you would have to be an idiot to not get one.

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 01-10-2013 at 05:03 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #28
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Gibson's hold their value better than almost any other guitar. Gibson's are simply better guitars than Epiphone's and since you can get them from places like Samash so cheaply these days, you would have to be an idiot to not get one.

Holding and appreciating in value are two different things. Sure, he'll have an easier time selling the Gibson. But that in no way means he's gonna get his money back for it.

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Old 01-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #29
T00DEEPBLUE
Hello Victoria

Quote:
Holding and appreciating in value are two different things. Sure, he'll have an easier time selling the Gibson. But that in no way means he's gonna get his money back for it.

Dude, that applies for any guitar, so its a moot point. The difference is that Gibson's and MIA Fender's hold their value better than pretty much any other guitar. I never said anything about it appreciating in value.

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 01-10-2013 at 05:19 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #30
LP1951

Quote:
Replacing things on it is going to decrease the value of the guitar regardless of whether it's a Gibson or an Epiphone. You're not going to get your money back on the Gibson either.

You're basically telling the TS not to get an Epi because it's an Epi.

All my Fenders and Gibsons have appreciated in value. If he buys a Gibson, he will not have to replace the pups, electronics or the tuners.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #31
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

Quote:
All my Fenders and Gibsons have appreciated in value. If he buys a Gibson, he will not have to replace the pups, electronics or the tuners.

He wants EMG's, and off hand I can't think of a Gibson currently in production with EMG pickups stock in it.

Except for the ZW Sig

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Last edited by Charvel1995 : 01-10-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #32
monwobobbo

Quote:

how do you figure this? dud i have an 89 Fender Strat Plus Deluxe and after you figure in the inflation rate it's worth just a little less than it was new. ths is not appreciation in real terms just holding it's value.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #33
LP1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by monwobobbo
how do you figure this? dud i have an 89 Fender Strat Plus Deluxe and after you figure in the inflation rate it's worth just a little less than it was new. ths is not appreciation in real terms just holding it's value.

I've appraised my guitars, not yours. I believe you when you say that you overpaid for your 89 Fender and it has decreased in value.

I bought all my vintage Fenders and Gibsons when they were depreciating in value and now they have appreciated by $1000s in some cases and hundreds in others. Of course, I had to buy smart when the Fenders and Gibsons were under-valued. That is harder to do now, but a few months ago, I bought a 50th Anniversary MIJ Fender Vegas Tele. It appreciated by $300, the minute after I bought it because I got a great deal on it.

Last edited by LP1951 : 01-10-2013 at 07:48 PM.
LP1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #34
samuraigoomba

Quote:
I bought a 50th Anniversary MIJ Fender Vegas Tele. It appreciated by $300, the minute after I bought it because I got a great deal on it

That's true of any good deal one gets on a quality guitar, though. I bought a Viper-1000 that was worth $100 more than I paid approximately 1 second after I bought it.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #35
monwobobbo

Quote:
I've appraised my guitars, not yours. I believe you when you say that you overpaid for your 89 Fender and it has decreased in value.

I bought all my vintage Fenders and Gibsons when they were depreciating in value and now they have appreciated by $1000s in some cases and hundreds in others. Of course, I had to buy smart when the Fenders and Gibsons are under-valued. That is harder to do now, but a few months ago, I bought a 50th Anniversary MIJ Fender Vegas Tele. It appreciated by $300, the minute after I bought it because I got a great deal on it

ok so now you're talking "vintage guitars which has nothing to do with new EPi's or Gibsons for that matter. for the record i didn't overpay for my strat at all. current market value vs original price adjusted for inflation is how i came up with what i'm talking about. sounds like you want to compare apples to oranges. by the way your tele didn't "appreciate" it's worth what's it's worth if you got it for less than fair market value we call that a good deal. nothing is worth anything until you sell it so you can't say for sure that it has gone up in value.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #36
LP1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraigoomba
That's true of any good deal one gets on a quality guitar, though. I bought a Viper-1000 that was worth $100 more than I paid approximately 1 second after I bought it.

Yes but it is not likely that you will make money on the resale of an Epi, particularly if you upgrade the pups, electronics and/or hardware. Frankly I think that some Epis are quality guitars, but they just don't appreciate in value, except for the pre-70s USA made Epis.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #37
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

LP, stick with one defence. Better yet, stick to the topic

You go from Epi vs. Gibson

To Vintage vs. Modern

And then try and dispute anything every other poster says

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Old 01-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #38
Robbgnarly

Quote:

I bought all my vintage Fenders and Gibsons when they were depreciating in value and now they have appreciated by $1000s in some cases and hundreds in others. Of course, I had to buy smart when the Fenders and Gibsons were under-valued. That is harder to do now, but a few months ago, I bought a 50th Anniversary MIJ Fender Vegas Tele. It appreciated by $300, the minute after I bought it because I got a great deal on it.

What guitar do you own that is worth $1000's more than when you bought it? I think your total BS on this.
I can belive the couple hundred, but thats about it.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #39
LP1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
What guitar do you own that is worth $1000's more than when you bought it? I think your total BS on this.
I can belive the couple hundred, but thats about it.

LOL! I know what I paid for my guitars and what they are worth, and you don't, so what you "think" is totally irrelevant.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #40
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

Most of the things you've said in your last 3 or four posts have been irrelevant to the thread topic.

The TS has received pretty much zero help since page 2 of the posts started.

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Rate This Thread: