Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
dtkh2009

PRS SE custom 24 or gibson les paul jr with humbuckers or schecter c-1 custom

I am going to buy new gear with tax return $. Best deals are online and i am torn between the prs se custom 24 and gibson lp jr with humbuckers or schecter c-1 custom with seymour.duncans. I will not be swapping the pickups or anything like that since i am mostly a hobbiest. If i go with the prs i hear the tuners are junk so i will be swapping those out. I am an intermediate guitarist, play mostly classic rock and modern rock from frampton to shinedown to 311. Does anyone have any experience with either of these guitars that could sway mr one way or another? Also, last question. On both of these the humbuckers are uncovered. Does it affect the pickups at all if i buy covers for them, just like the look better. Any other guitars in this price range 500-750 i may have overlooked you would suggest?
dtkh2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
ibacred
Plays the Geetar

Mandatory question incoming: what amp are you using?

If your amp is fine, I'd personally go with the PRS. The SE Series guitars are fantastic.

Are you willing to buy used? You could score a Gibson Studio used for less then $750, which is much better then the lp junior.

Carvin Bolt Classic
LTD EC 1000
Parker PDF100
HD500 pod
ibacred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
dtkh2009

I use an orange dark terror head through a b52 412 cab. Thanks for info on used studio, there seem to be a lot on craigslist etc, just seems every individual you want to buy from thinks their guitar is worth 200 more than they paid for it lol.
dtkh2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Have you played any of them yet? That's the only way you can decide which you prefer.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
ibacred
Plays the Geetar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtkh2009
I use an orange dark terror head through a b52 412 cab. Thanks for info on used studio, there seem to be a lot on craigslist etc, just seems every individual you want to buy from thinks their guitar is worth 200 more than they paid for it lol.

Try looking on guitar center's used section on their web site. They have very good prices on most of their used stuff.

Like gary said, try to go to a shop and try some out before you order anything

Carvin Bolt Classic
LTD EC 1000
Parker PDF100
HD500 pod
ibacred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
LP1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibacred

You could score a Gibson Studio used for less then $750...

I agree but I would go with a Gibson LP jr over the prs.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:41 PM   #7
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

I'd take the PRS over the Gibson. I loved my singlecut, one of my favourite guitars, and the hardware on it was great. I never had a single issue with the tuners. The tailpiece was a bit odd at first, but it's easy to grow into.

The LP Junior only has one pickup, if I remember correctly. The PRS gives you a bit more variety.

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Charvel1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:46 PM   #8
Addonexus408
Bay Area Thrash

The 2012 PRS Custom 24's are amazing for the price. The whole SE series is top notch in my opinion. I would take it over the Gibson and the Schecter. But its best to try all of them out.
My band
Addonexus
Addonexus408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:55 AM   #9
LP_CL
Gimme a beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP1951

The junior is absolutely horrible in every way. Played several, none of them were better than random epiphones.
Jackson USA
ESP
Music Man
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Mesa

Band:www.citizinsane.be
LP_CL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #10
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP1951
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP_CL
The junior is absolutely horrible in every way. Played several, none of them were better than random epiphones.

.....and this is exactly why TS needs to go & try these guitars for himself. Everyone's opinions will be different, he needs to find out what his own opinion is.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #11
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Gibsons always have to be tried out first, anyway. The feel of the necks and the tones can be so different, ordering one without playing it first is stupid. You have to go to a shop, play some, and if you find one you like, buy it.

If you can find a Gibson that fits you, it'll blow the PRS and Schetcer out of the water. On the other hand, not everybody is able to get to enough shops to try lots of Gibsons of a particular model out, and many people simply can't afford to buy a guitar in a shop anyway, when online prices are so cheap.
If this applies to you then I'd say go with the Schecter. The PRS SE and Schecter are both MIK and are both going to be built to the same standard. However, the Schecter gets you Seymour Duncan pickups (the PRS has generic PRS own-brand stock ones), locking tuners, TonePros hardware, carved heel for better upper-fret access and, though it's not objectively better, an ebony fretboard, which I know many people prefer to rosewood. You're basically getting an awful lot more with the Schecter.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #12
danvwman

I agree with Mr Flibble on choosing the Schecter over the PRS, the LP Jr is a pile compared to these two.
He pretty much summed it all up (along with everybody else) saying you gotta play them first and see what feels and sounds good to you.

If you can find a BC Rich Mockingbird Special and try that, love mine and the necks on those feel very Les Paulish and with the Mohog body sounds very Les Paulish too.

I have a C-1 Elite and love it, the neck is a little narrow for my big hands so I try to just play songs with easy or barre chords on that one.

Last edited by danvwman : 01-10-2013 at 02:23 PM.
danvwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #13
gregs1020
Hi mom!

PRS SE gets my vote.

carry on.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #14
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...

Why does everyone hate LPJ's?

(´・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #15
danvwman

There are better guitars for $500
Old 01-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #16
danvwman

Old 01-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #17
MrFlibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvwman
That's really not even on-par with the C-1 Custom, and it certainly does not "[blow] a lp jr away". Frankly, they're such different guitars, you can't compare them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Why does everyone hate LPJ's?
Careful now. Gibson have gone ****ed things up for us all by releasing a new Les Paul called the LPJ, which is not a Les Paul Junior of any kind. It's basically the old Faded Studio, with new covers on the pickups. I've already seen a few on eBay that people are listing as LP Juniors.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #18
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Careful now. Gibson have gone ****ed things up for us all by releasing a new Les Paul called the LPJ, which is not a Les Paul Junior of any kind. It's basically the old Faded Studio, with new covers on the pickups. I've already seen a few on eBay that people are listing as LP Juniors.

Yeah, i know what you're on about. I actually really like those new studio guitars, they look really sweet.

But you know what i mean though. Why do people hate Juniors here so much?

(´・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #19
MrFlibble

Because people don't like things that A) are made by a company that they usually can't afford, B) they haven't tried, and C) aren't black super-Strats with Floyds, 24-fret ebony fretboards and don't have an 'X' or 'Z' in the name.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #20
danvwman

That C1 elite is better (over the c1 custom or the LPjr)since it has a neck thru not a bolt on or set neck and the C1 custom is better(than the Elite) because it has real Seymour Duncans and two volume pots....its kind of a wash. But you could always upgrade the Elites pups and have a totally better guitar than the custom. And just leaving the ebony out of it the Schecter C series (more the old ones) are better than any cheap Gibson any day.
And how is the Elite so different than a Les Paul?? They are both made out of Mahogany have 2 humbuckers.....really the only thing different is the scale length, and body shape.

And I can afford to buy a $4500 Gibson I just have chose not to since I have never found one to be worth the price or feel totally right, there is always something wrong with them and for that price they should be perfect. And to me Gibsons in the $500-2500 range are junk. To me to buy a lower level Gibson is throwing money away.

Last edited by danvwman : 01-10-2013 at 04:25 PM.
danvwman is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: