Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #21
danvwman

For $800 I bet this plays better than 30-40 LPs in my town, the skull is overkill but still a sweet guitar.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/Prod...SLS-Solo-6.aspx

And for $275 even if its used that C1 elite is a killer guitar.

Last edited by danvwman : 01-10-2013 at 04:41 PM.
danvwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #22
sashki
Look mum, no brakes!

I'd pick the PRS in this scenario. I'm not a fan of the Schecters or the lower-end Gibsons that I've tried. They both sound kinda muddy, especially Gibson Studios with 490 and 498 pickups.

PRS SE pickups are not generic. They were designed specifically for the SE guitars. I think they're great value, and I've yet to play a PRS guitar that I thought was bad. Just because it's made in Korea doesn't mean its any worse than a USA made guitar. You're ultimately paying for labour costs, not features.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #23
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashki
I'd pick the PRS in this scenario. I'm not a fan of the Schecters or the lower-end Gibsons that I've tried. They both sound kinda muddy, especially Gibson Studios with 490 and 498 pickups.

I disagree, I think the 490's are good pickups and they sound especially good when they're split. Of course they're going to suck if you're going to play the guitar through a crap amp or playing with the wrong settings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Because people don't like things that A) are made by a company that they usually can't afford, B) they haven't tried, and C) aren't black super-Strats with Floyds, 24-fret ebony fretboards and don't have an 'X' or 'Z' in the name.

You mean like danvwman?

(´・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 01-10-2013 at 05:29 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #24
sashki
Look mum, no brakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
I disagree, I think the 490's are good pickups and they sound especially good when they're split. Of course they're going to suck if you're going to play the guitar through a crap amp or playing with the wrong settings.

You're entitled to your opinion. I very much prefer Gibson's Burstbuckers and 57 classics. The Schecter's Duncan pickups are good, too, but the Schecters that I've played were kind of underwhelming in terms of build quality.

What makes you so sure I played it through a crap amp?

Last edited by sashki : 01-10-2013 at 05:31 PM.
sashki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #25
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...

I don't like Schecters either. I think they're very overpriced (as i live in the UK) and given how much hype they get on this forum, they're really not that good. There isn't anything really special about them at all that makes me want to buy them. A lot of them look like they were designed by teenage goth kids too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashki
What makes you so sure I played it through a crap amp?

A lot of people decide to spend their money on high end guitars and rarely on high-end amps, so people's opinions don't have a whole lot of validity in that regard.

I'm not saying that you have, but i played an old Les Paul Custom with 490's through a Mesa Mark IV and it sounded fantastic.

(´・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 01-10-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:29 AM   #26
LP_CL
Gimme a beer!

Quote:
Because people don't like things that A) are made by a company that they usually can't afford, B) they haven't tried, and C) aren't black super-Strats with Floyds, 24-fret ebony fretboards and don't have an 'X' or 'Z' in the name.

Or D) because any piece of wood that doesn't make the cut for the LP studio line gets on the pile of the wood that become LP Juniors, which result in dull, unresonant, dead guitars most of the time. Once a bad piece of wood is in the USA, they won't ship it to china to make epi's with it, that's to expensive. They make juniors out of it.
Jackson USA
ESP
Music Man
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Mesa

Band:www.citizinsane.be
LP_CL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:30 AM   #27
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP_CL
Or D) because any piece of wood that doesn't make the cut for the LP studio line gets on the pile of the wood that become LP Juniors, which result in dull, unresonant, dead guitars most of the time. Once a bad piece of wood is in the USA, they won't ship it to china to make epi's with it, that's to expensive. They make juniors out of it.

Stop posting.

(´・ω・`)
Old 01-11-2013, 01:37 AM   #28
LP_CL
Gimme a beer!

Quote:
Stop posting.
Why?
Can I help it that every junior I picked up was not a good guitar? Don't you find it weird that the USA factory makes gibsons as cheap as the Chinese produce epiphones, considdering that a Chinese manufacturer costs about a tenth of what an american worker costs?

Gibson gets bashed too much, but some of their models are just utter crap. And I'm just as much entitled to express my experience and opinion in here as you are. So don't tell me to stop posting.
Jackson USA
ESP
Music Man
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Mesa

Old 01-11-2013, 03:57 AM   #29
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

i don't even know how this is debatable honestly.

they are all really different.

schecter on the spec sheet looks better than the PRS SE

but from the PRS SE's i have played i liked the feel better than schecters. that is an opinion, could be different for you.

i like Les Paul Juniors, i have played one or two that weren't my favorite, but i have played a lot of them and liked them, but again on the spec sheet the shceter looks better.

however from my experience would go with the gibson. i have toured their facility in memphis (which only makes hollowboides, the solidbody facility hasn't be open for tours for a while). but they took a lot of care into their work. i also own seven gibsons, one kalamazoo, six nashville. i have two from the 80's, one 90's IIRC the other four are all '00's, and they are all nice guitars. even the sonexes which i paid less than $200 for each on CL.

if you had a little bit more money it would totally change and go for a CE PRS which at the price are better than both the LP JR and the Schecter.

i like LP JR's, they have a cool vibe to them.

and so you know i am not a fanboy, i have my third prestige on the way (should be here tomorrow or monday), and obviously they are quite different than any gibson.

i have two very nice Peavey Wolfgangs (best bang for your buck IMO) too.

but they are so different i would advise playing as many guitars as you can find before buying one.

also i picked up a used Ibanez Prestige (edit: the one mentioned above, i didn't mean to be redundent but want my post to be as is./edit) from used.guitarcenter.com for $503 to my door, it was rated five stars for condition and they are phenomenal guitars.

i would take a used prestige over the schecter or PRS SE any day. i have played many and they are IMO on par with quality if not better. remember not all models have trems.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT

Last edited by trashedlostfdup : 01-11-2013 at 04:02 AM.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:37 AM   #30
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP_CL
This is so inaccurate, I don't even...

Just three feet away from me is a Gibson Les Paul DC Special—a 'low-end' Gibson of the same line as the current Juniors—with a 1-piece, very light and very resonant mahogany body, with very clean grain, too. And you can tell it's not a veneer because it's a worn finish with the grain showing right the way through, and because I've opened the bugger up, stripped it way back and overhauled the whole thing. It's not like I had to spend time hunting out a body like this, either; this was eBay scrap, sold for parts, didn't even have clear pictures. Just bought it because **** it. Hey, turns out to be one of the nicest, structurally, guitars I've ever held. And it's not the only flat-top, stripped-back, worn-finished, low-end Gibson that I've had this experience with.

But yes, sure. Shit wood that's not good enough for Studios. Good enough to make a 1-piece body that's lighter than any 'lite ash' Strat I've ever held, but clearly, utterly shit wood that should have just been used as firewood.

I have stripped, remodelled, remade, refinished and generally mutilated more Epiphones and Gibsons than any other brand group of guitars. I've done it for myself, for friends and for strangers. Bedroom hereos, pub giggers, local bands, smaller bands playing the next large city over. Even got to help out restoring a real '56 Gibson, once.
There is nothing that I don't know about the wood that goes into Gibson and Epiphone guitars. I have always been the first to point out that there's many species of mahogany, that flame tops are not always solid flame, that some cheaper models have junky wood compared to the wood used in higher-end models, whatever. I've always been the first person here to happily call out Gibson and Epiphone on the corner-cutting they sometimes do in terms of basic parts.

And I have never read such utter bollocks as your post.

And just to keep this vaguely more on-topic, I can say I know of more professional bands touring the world and recording with stock Gibson LP Juniors than I can name that do the same with Schecters or PRS SEs.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #31
danvwman

And my point is (for me at least) the 1-5% difference the "better" wood a Gibson or Epi is made out of is not worth the $1000-3500 more than a Schecter or any other guitar for that matter.
And they do not sound $1000-3500 better either. If they did I would buy one.

Again my opinion.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #32
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvwman
And my point is (for me at least) the 1-5% difference the "better" wood a Gibson or Epi is made out of is not worth the $1000-3500 more than a Schecter or any other guitar for that matter.
And they do not sound $1000-3500 better either. If they did I would buy one.

Again my opinion.

Your opinion is a joke.

(´・ω・`)
Old 01-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #33
danvwman

Quote:
Your opinion is a joke.

aND THATS WHY i THINK YOU ARE A d o u c h E
Old 01-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #34
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvwman
aND THATS WHY i THINK YOU ARE A d o u c h E

My work here is done.

(´・ω・`)
Old 01-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #35
danvwman

T00d, you must still live in your mom's basement
Old 01-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #36
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...

What has that got to do with anything?

You would have to be extremely wealthy to own a decent house at 20 years old anyway. So i live at uni instead.

(´・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 01-11-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #37
gregs1020
Hi mom!

this thread is funny.

8/10 would read again.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #38
desperatechris
Banned

Buy the prs end of story.
desperatechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #39
LP_CL
Gimme a beer!

Quote:
This is so inaccurate, I don't even...

Just three feet away from me is a Gibson Les Paul DC Special—a 'low-end' Gibson of the same line as the current Juniors—with a 1-piece, very light and very resonant mahogany body, with very clean grain, too. And you can tell it's not a veneer because it's a worn finish with the grain showing right the way through, and because I've opened the bugger up, stripped it way back and overhauled the whole thing. It's not like I had to spend time hunting out a body like this, either; this was eBay scrap, sold for parts, didn't even have clear pictures. Just bought it because **** it. Hey, turns out to be one of the nicest, structurally, guitars I've ever held. And it's not the only flat-top, stripped-back, worn-finished, low-end Gibson that I've had this experience with.

But yes, sure. Shit wood that's not good enough for Studios. Good enough to make a 1-piece body that's lighter than any 'lite ash' Strat I've ever held, but clearly, utterly shit wood that should have just been used as firewood.

I have stripped, remodelled, remade, refinished and generally mutilated more Epiphones and Gibsons than any other brand group of guitars. I've done it for myself, for friends and for strangers. Bedroom hereos, pub giggers, local bands, smaller bands playing the next large city over. Even got to help out restoring a real '56 Gibson, once.
There is nothing that I don't know about the wood that goes into Gibson and Epiphone guitars. I have always been the first to point out that there's many species of mahogany, that flame tops are not always solid flame, that some cheaper models have junky wood compared to the wood used in higher-end models, whatever. I've always been the first person here to happily call out Gibson and Epiphone on the corner-cutting they sometimes do in terms of basic parts.

And I have never read such utter bollocks as your post.

And just to keep this vaguely more on-topic, I can say I know of more professional bands touring the world and recording with stock Gibson LP Juniors than I can name that do the same with Schecters or PRS SEs.

Utter bollocks? Ok, maybe to you, but all this doesn't explain why 5 out of 6 Juniors I played were absolute lemons, so bad that I'd gladly take a Epiphone over them. That other one was over 30 years old and quite good, but absolutely not mindblowing. Disagree? Ok, shoot me. But first, explain to me why these 'stunning' cheap Gibsons are so dull and dead if they're all made of high grade premium wood.

There has been so much Gibson bashing over the years, that people now start to create a contra-antigibson bandwagon. Or so it seems to me.
Jackson USA
ESP
Music Man
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Mesa

Last edited by LP_CL : 01-12-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:46 AM   #40
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatechris
Buy the prs end of story.

Or the Gibson
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: