User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
Izvire

ESP LTD TE-202 worth buying?

Hello,

I'm a beginner to playing guitar, and new to this forum

I currently have the cheapest Telecaster I could find, it's.. pretty bad.

So I found this one, and I like the look and the humbucker it has. Is it a "quality" guitar?

I mean, is it good for it's price?

Bolt-On Construction
25.5" Scale
Alder Body
Maple Neck
Maple Fingerboard
42mm Standard Nut
Thin U Neck Contour

22 XJ Frets
Nickel Hardware
ESP Tuners
Traditional Flat-Mount Bridge
ESP LTS-120 (B) / LH-150 (N) p.u.

No idea why I can't link the url to the manufacturers website. Oh well.

I can get it for 300.
Izvire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
danmetal2012

yeah, around that price there much of a muchness, esp, ibanez, jackson there all cool (im an ibanez man, have been for years, went with a friend to help him pick his first half decent guitar for 200, ended up with a jackson! great axe for the money) but yeah, you cant really go wrong man, if you like it buy it. for the money your not gunna get a telecaster body better elsewere.
danmetal2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
dropb81

why would they put a single coil in the bridge position and a humbucker in the neck position??? Id make sure you play one before you buy. Cant say enough good things about ltd guitars, I own one myself, I just realy dont like that pickup configuration... seems backwards.

Last edited by dropb81 : 01-09-2013 at 10:05 PM.
dropb81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
danmetal2012

having a humbucker in the neck of a tele is not uncommon actually, granted a little strange and i would not go for one personally though i think they want to retain the original telecaster look, with the single coil bridge pickup on the same plate, but want a little more versatility (how much versatility a neck position humbucker can give you is a matter of opinion i guess). you raise a good point though, what do you intend to play on this guitar? as it will be somewhat limited...
danmetal2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
halfj06

Humbuckers are great in tele necks for that sweet warm jazzy and blues vibes and a good switch to balance out the bite and attack that teles single coil bridges are known for.. and a lot have the humbucker coil tapper for even more options
halfj06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

To be honest, the only advantage of the TE-202 which other Teles in the same price range lack is the TE-202 uses a slanted heel for better upper-fret access. Apart from that, it's the same as all the other MIC Teles; if anything you have to pay a bit more for it due to the 'relic' finish. The stock pickups are also really, really terrible. Pretty much all of the Squiers in the same price range are better buys.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
Izvire

But I want atleast one Humbucker. Do the Squiers have any?

Going to be playing mostly rock.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

what do you want the humbucker for? rock?

most rock, when people talk about humbuckers, is bridge humbucker really. the reason teles often have a neck humbucker is that a lot of people don't really like the regular neck tele single coil pickup. It doesn't really make it any more useful for rock as such, it just gives those people a pickup they prefer in the neck position.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
Izvire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
what do you want the humbucker for? rock?

most rock, when people talk about humbuckers, is bridge humbucker really. the reason teles often have a neck humbucker is that a lot of people don't really like the regular neck tele single coil pickup. It doesn't really make it any more useful for rock as such, it just gives those people a pickup they prefer in the neck position.

Which is just what I want
Old 01-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #10
samuraigoomba

You can find teles with humbuckers everywhere, under the Fender brand and not. Just look around, search craigslist, ebay and guitar center for "telecaster" and then look up anything that seems interesting to you.

A G&L Tribute Bluesboy might be exactly what you're looking for.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
Izvire

What I really want is a Fender Blacktop Tele HH

But it's a bit out of my price range.. atleast for now.

So I thought I could buy the ESP LTD TE-202 now and maybe upgrade the pickups later.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
halfj06

Are you 100% stuck on tele's ? cause honestly most people after teles arent looking at humbuckers.. theirs also two humbucker teles. like what kind of music do you play and enjoy? What tele.do you have? Budget? Do you have a decent amp? What do you want this new guitar to do your old one doesn't ?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #13
Izvire

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfj06
Are you 100% stuck on tele's ? cause honestly most people after teles arent looking at humbuckers.. theirs also two humbucker teles. like what kind of music do you play and enjoy? What tele.do you have? Budget? Do you have a decent amp? What do you want this new guitar to do your old one doesn't ?

Really love the look and feel of a tele. Might go for a strat too.

I like the sound of humbuckers. I have literally the cheapest tele I could find, under 100. I have a cheap amp which I will be upgrading after I upgrade my guitar.

I just want a better overall guitar. The feel, quality and sound.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #14
halfj06

http://m.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Vi...720-i2518203.gc

Might be worth a look
Or the schecter pt fastbacks.. I haven't gotten a chance to play them but I've only heard its one of their best guitars.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #15
Izvire

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfj06
http://m.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Vi...720-i2518203.gc

Might be worth a look
Or the schecter pt fastbacks.. I haven't gotten a chance to play them but I've only heard its one of their best guitars.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't like the large pickguard/4 control knob look

Prefer the traditional look
Old 01-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #16
MrFlibble

The PT Fastback is a nice guitar, but it's also about twice the price of the guitars we're talking about.

OP, if humbuckers are what you want, go for the Squier mentioned above. There's even a slightly cheaper version which has two regular humbuckers. If you want to have single coil tones as well then an HSS or HSH Strat is the way to go, through there are a few HSH and HSS Telecasters, too. If you don't mind a bit of modifying, you can install split switches to get single coil-like tones out of humbuckers; it's much harder and more expensive to make a single coil sound like a humbucker.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #17
halfj06

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
The PT Fastback is a nice guitar, but it's also about twice the price of the guitars we're talking about.
OP, if humbuckers are what you want, go for the Squier mentioned above. There's even a slightly cheaper version which has two regular humbuckers. If you want to have single coil tones as well then an HSS or HSH Strat is the way to go, through there are a few HSH and HSS Telecasters, too. If you don't mind a bit of modifying, you can install split switches to get single coil-like tones out of humbuckers; it's much harder and more expensive to make a single coil sound like a humbucker.

Well he mentioned the blacktop tele.. I've seen used pt's for around 250-300.

Theirs also sx and agile teles on rondomusic.com.
The agiles are a bit more expensive but I've heard the sx's are pretty decent for the money, which are about $100. I haven't played one to know if its any better then what you have. Theirs modles with humbuckers and p90's neck. Theirs also shipping charges this route though

Tradition also makes sone teles with neck humbuckers

My best suggestion would be whatever budget friendly tele you get.. save up a bit more for a good set up and you will be much happier
Old 01-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #18
Izvire

Just a question:

How wrong can I go with the ESP LTD TE-202? I mean, after all, from the website I'm looking at it, it's 450, well, now on sale for 300. But still, how bad can it be?

I love the look, dig the setup, and the price isn't bad either.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #19
halfj06

I'm sure its as good as anything I mentioned, honestly I didn't know esp/ltd made a telecaster style guitar til you posted this..last suggestion if your willing to go used you could probably find a used mim standard fender tele. Though I donno what they cost in your currency. But that ltd could be just as good
Old 01-11-2013, 07:41 AM   #20
MrFlibble

The problem with the TE-202 is basically that you're paying for the 'relic' finish. The paint job aside, it's a regular MIC/MII mass-production guitar, just the same as Squiers, Vintage, some Tokais, Agile, Rally, Burny, and a hundred other copy-brand guitars.

So you're paying more and getting nothing additional. If you're looking at guitars in this price range then I would assume saving money and getting a good deal is important to you, and the TE-202 simply doesn't represent value for money. The TE-202 is for people that want a 'relic' look but can't afford the Fender Road Worn guitars. If you want a decent Tele, for the same money as a TE-202 you can get one of the better Squiers, which will at least have better pickups and hardware than the TE-202, or you can get a regular Squier (or Vintage, or any other brand mentioned) and get effectively the same guitar but save yourself a bit of money (random shop sales and second hand bargains not included).

The TE-202 isn't bad. It's just pointless. You're paying more for the same, or paying the same for less, compared to other guitars of its type from other brands.

Rate This Thread: