Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Pop Punk & Emo
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 03-22-2013, 02:19 AM   #1
bahburah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Guitar for emo guitar tones.

Hey so the head on my guitar broke before a show and now I'm thinking of getting a new one. It was a Tom Delonge epiphone and had a really nice tone and the neck was so fine.
I don't know what repairs are looking like but I'm thinking of getting an original guitar anyways.

So I ask now,
What are some good guitars for emo tones and tapping?
Clean but can become intense on it's own without pedals.
Bands like American Football or Sunny Day Real Estate? Midwest emo mainly.
I was thinking of getting something cheep are putting the dirty finger pick up's (from the tom delonge) on it, or just a cheep guitar for it's sound with nice strings.

Yea.. Or I could just fix my old one but thats less fun and the way it broke seems costly.

Thanks so much!
bahburah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
Gerard_xD
-
 
Gerard_xD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Scotland
Tele always

(seems like what you're describing would come from the amp, though)
__________________

Gerard_xD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
bahburah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
How could I go wrong with the Telecaster, Thanks!

Yea thats true the part about clean and intense parts. I use a trynor amp and love it.
bahburah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
ricta2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Telecasters are the way to go dude, you can get such a nice warm and bass-y yet twangy tone out of one. I'm horrible at recommending settings but try playing with a lot of mids and your highs kind of set back a bit, also a bit of delay can really add to your tone as well.

Here's the blatant self promotion part of my post of me posting a video of myself but I feel like it does a good job of summarizing what I tried to just explain lol.

ricta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
bahburah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricta2
Telecasters are the way to go dude, you can get such a nice warm and bass-y yet twangy tone out of one. I'm horrible at recommending settings but try playing with a lot of mids and your highs kind of set back a bit, also a bit of delay can really add to your tone as well.

Here's the blatant self promotion part of my post of me posting a video of myself but I feel like it does a good job of summarizing what I tried to just explain lol.


That was beautiful dude and exactly what I was thinking of.
That delay is a very nice touch. Is it Digital or Analogue delay?

Why havant I gotten a tele yet.
bahburah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
Gerard_xD
-
 
Gerard_xD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Scotland
ricta, what type of amp do you use? Your tone is lovely.
__________________

Gerard_xD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
blake1221
‭‭
 
blake1221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
TS, sounds like you want a Tele with humbuckers.
blake1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
ironicallyindie
chill dude
 
ironicallyindie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Belgium
tele, jazzmaster, jaguar, other fender offsets, single coil gibsons maybe
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
It's odd how much I disliked broccoli as a child yet now it's my favorite vegetable.


i used to make music. now i'm lazy. here's my soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/oleh-ustimenko
ironicallyindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
ricta2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahburah
That was beautiful dude and exactly what I was thinking of.
That delay is a very nice touch. Is it Digital or Analogue delay?

Why havant I gotten a tele yet.



Thanks a bunch dude, that's really nice of you say. And it's an analogue delay. You should totally look into getting a tele, they're such comfortable guitars.

Oh, and Gerard i'm using a peavey vypyr 30, so i'm not using anything special haha. That delay pedal really did help my tone out a lot though.
ricta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:45 AM   #10
bahburah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricta2
Thanks a bunch dude, that's really nice of you say. And it's an analogue delay. You should totally look into getting a tele, they're such comfortable guitars.


You really cleared things up for me. Do you have any recorded music?
I could fall asleep to your stuff.
bahburah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #11
Gerard_xD
-
 
Gerard_xD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricta2
Oh, and Gerard i'm using a peavey vypyr 30, so i'm not using anything special haha. That delay pedal really did help my tone out a lot though.

Really? It sounds great! I have a Peavey VK100 and I was surprised by the nice clean tone too. Tfw no cab, though.

I was looking at your channel, and that tappy thing you do when there's two guitars is incredible! The others are great too, but I especially like that one.
__________________

Gerard_xD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #12
ricta2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahburah
You really cleared things up for me. Do you have any recorded music?
I could fall asleep to your stuff.


Nah, unfortunately I don't man, other than these stupid videos. Here's a video of probably my favorite thing that i've wrote if you want to listen to that (it's probably one of the few things that i'm actually kind of satisfied with). I've been trying to start a band like this for a little while but it seems like it's almost impossible to find a drummer who lives close to me and wants to play this kind of stuff. Which is frustrating, considering I do know a decent amount of people that live just an hour or two away from me that would be down to start some projects with me but I have no way of joining because I have no car to leave my campus for on the regular basis.




But anywho, i'm glad my shitty advice and guitar playing was some help to you haha.

Oh, and I totally share your feels Gerard and thanks so much for watching through my stupidness lol.
ricta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #13
bahburah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricta2
Nah, unfortunately I don't man, other than these stupid videos. Here's a video of probably my favorite thing that i've wrote if you want to listen to that (it's probably one of the few things that i'm actually kind of satisfied with). I've been trying to start a band like this for a little while but it seems like it's almost impossible to find a drummer who lives close to me and wants to play this kind of stuff. Which is frustrating, considering I do know a decent amount of people that live just an hour or two away from me that would be down to start some projects with me but I have no way of joining because I have no car to leave my campus for on the regular basis.


Your vids are rad, I liked the 2 guitars one as well.
If you ever record anything I'd be down to hear it.
I know how you feel dude. In the band I play with now the bass and drummer arnt emo and more alt/rock. I really like the mix up, its got groove but still has emo vibes, maybe because I'm the only guitar. But last I long to play in a like minded emo band and really do some cool stuff. It's frustrating mixing inspirations at times.
bahburah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #14
ricta2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Unfortunately we're all just internet kids that wish we could start an emo band that would last maybe two years tops haha
ricta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:08 AM   #15
bahburah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Pot

This internet thing.

I hope everyone finds an emo band to in play at least once.
Thanks again I played my friends tele today I used to play and put up the mids and loved it.
Im gunna get one.
bahburah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #16
ricta2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Yeah man, I hope so too. It seems like I can find guitarists and bassists pretty easily, but drummers are rarer than legendary pokemon haha.

Anywho, glad I could help. You might also want try messing around with alternate tunings to experiment with new sounds? (Though standard is a great tuning and clearly the most practical, but I think its sometimes kinda easier to play this style in weird open tunings, especially when adding capos lol) Some of my favorites are:

FACGCE

EAEAC#E

EAEG#BE
ricta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:31 AM   #17
bahburah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
And drums are most likely where your going to jamming too.
Legendary's in 2nd gen up.

Drop D is what I mostly play in and some open D's.

DADGAD is real nice.

These open E's look interesting, I like the use of the sharp notes.

Last edited by bahburah : 04-08-2013 at 03:46 AM.
bahburah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #18
StreetLight3989
Registered User
 
StreetLight3989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
I've got a Baja Telecaster and it's perfect for emo. It's got two single coils, but it has an S1 switch which gives it a good amount of punch.

It's really an awesome guitar.
StreetLight3989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #19
ricta2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahburah
And drums are most likely where your going to jamming too.
Legendary's in 2nd gen up.

Drop D is what I mostly play in and some open D's.

DADGAD is real nice.

These open E's look interesting, I like the use of the sharp notes.


Haha, I have a friend that was obsessed with using DADGAD for a couple of months.

EAEAC#E is just the algernon cadwallader tuning except I kept the low E tuned to an E without lowering it to a D
ricta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #20
Gerard_xD
-
 
Gerard_xD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Scotland
DGDF#AD are DGDGAD are both great too! I used it a lot for a while, but everything i wrote sounded pretty similar after a while.
__________________

Gerard_xD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:35 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.