Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-07-2013, 01:35 AM   #1
!..!_Rock_!..!

Bass amp for under $200

Is wanting a solid state, 50watt, 12in, bass amp for under $200 laughable? That's the kind of amp I would like to get but I don't wanna save for 10 years to get something expensive. Any recommendations are great. Thanks.

Last edited by !..!_Rock_!..! : 02-07-2013 at 01:37 AM.
!..!_Rock_!..! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:47 AM   #2
chatterbox272

Any particular reason you want 50W? 50W seems to me to be a bit big for a home practice amp (15-25W is fine for that) and a bit small for jamming with friends (I'd be looking more at 100W for that). Also is there any particular reason you're after a 12" speaker? generally I'd ignore speaker sizes because there isn't really all that much difference between a 2x10" and a 1x15" of the same type IMO.

and something that size or bigger under $200 is easy enough, especially if you go used. If you're after new then I'd go with one of these. Otherwise you're options are pretty much Behringer or used. If you go used you could get an Acoustic B100, maybe an Ashdown or a bigger Peavey for under $200 easy.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:46 AM   #3
cdhttlr

Look into the new Peavey Max series combo amps. I have the Max 112 II and love it. its got one 12" speaker and is 200w.
cdhttlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
!..!_Rock_!..!

I have a 20 watt practice amp and it's loud enough for home use but when I turn it up past 60% it overpowers the speaker and sounds distorted. Also, in my observation, it seems that the bigger the speaker size, the more rumble there is too the tone. My amp doesn't have that. One of my friends has an amp with the specs I mentioned and it's perfect for what I need. It's perfectly loud enough for our band and has a nice rumble that my small amp (and I assume all 15w-25w amps) just can't make. I hope that answers all your questions.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
!..!_Rock_!..!

Does anyone have experience with the Crate BT100? I've used a smaller Crate before and I really liked it.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
JustPhil
Not beautiful

I used to have a Crate BT220, exact same features but bigger and it weighs a bastard ton. Sound wise it was excellent and I never had any issues with it for the year and half I gigged with it.
JustPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
christianonbass

I have no financial interest with these folks. I just wanted to make that clear Craigslist is a great place to look. I finally gave in and spent...much less than I thought I would. I found an SWR 15in 160/200, great condition for $150 bucks. I love it. I missed out on a Peavey Combo 300watt for 90 bucks! I think it is safe to say that you can easily get a good practice amp for less than 200. Have fun! Shopping for bass equipment is the only time I like shopping
christianonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:00 AM   #8
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Rate This Thread: