Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 04:06 AM   #1
AlexBUltimateGuitar
Account inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Fender Road Worn Strat

So, I've been selling a few guitars to save up for a USA Fender, but my budget might be getting cut by a few hundred $ because there's one I'm just too attached to to sell. What are the thoughts on the Fender Road Worn Strats? I don't like poly finishes at all (so the nitro's a bonus - Highway 1 is probably an option too).
AlexBUltimateGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
Alucard817
Registered User
 
Alucard817's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Personally I don't like the road worn guitars. To me it's just too gimmicky. As far as quality goes, I have yet to hear a bad thing about them.

In my personal opinion I would go for the Highway 1 in a heart beat.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
Blompcube
Registered User Error
 
Blompcube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hereford, UK
^visually you could argue that the beaten up look is gimmicky, but it does make a big difference to how the nitro finish feels, which is an important thing to consider, imo.

i think the road worn and highway one guitars are roughly the same level of quality, but the specs are a bit different - the highway one series has a bit more modern specs and the road worns are a bit more 'vintagey'.
__________________
Gig-Gear
EBMM Albert Lee HH
Boss TU3 Marshall JH1/ED1 EHX small clone/stone Nobels PRE1 Danelectro DE1
Musicman HD75
Road Kill Cabs "Stag" 2x12 with Eminence screamin eagles.
Blompcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
Maximus_2005
Registered User
 
Maximus_2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Are you selling your mim strats for this? The road worn is really just a mim strat anyway. Might as well save up for a mia standard.
__________________
Quote:
"evil esteban"
if this thing melts again i'm takin' it to bugera headquarters, puttin' a bag of fecal matter on it, ringin' the doorbell and flippin the switch from "standby" to "on", and running.

Quote:
"tubetime86"
This wasnt even a cool story... Bro.
Maximus_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
AlexBUltimateGuitar
Account inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus_2005
Are you selling your mim strats for this? The road worn is really just a mim strat anyway. Might as well save up for a mia standard.


As I said in my original post, I'm thinking of keeping one of them. Although I'm leaning towards MiA Tele for some reason...
AlexBUltimateGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
Roc8995
Moderator
 
Roc8995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
I don't see how you could say a Roadworn is just a MIM. It's made in Mexico but the quality and feel are totally different. The parts are all different too.

I think the real answer here is to stop hoarding entry/mid level instruments. Sell both of your MIMs and buy a MIA. The roadworn is a great choice if you don't have the means to get a MIA but it sounds like you do. I'm sure you love your current MIMs but the whole point here is to step up and get something new that will inspire you. If your old equipment is holding you back artistically, don't let it also hold you back economically.
__________________
rr, pe&a
Roc8995 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it
 
MrFlibble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire
Buying somethign lesser to "make do" with is never a goo idea. You will always still want the higher model you've been drooling over and you will always end up buying it eventually. It is cheap and quicker in the long run to simply wait, save more and buy the thing you actually want.

Also, the Road Worn are just the same as other MIMs in terms of build quality. What you're paying for is the nitro finish, relic job and the slightly more expensive pickups. Wood's the same, they're built by the same people in the same place using the same machines. That is not to say that they are bad guitars, but they do not represent good value for money and they certainly are not a stand-in for an MIA.
__________________
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
MrFlibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
Axe Murderer
Registered User
 
Axe Murderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
I own a Roadworn '59 Strat (it has the 50's body and pickguard, but the rosewood C shape neck from a 60's Roadworn)

I swapped out the trem block for a cold steel Callaham block.

The guitar flat out kicks ass.

People who only see them as gimmicks are idiots IMO. The guitars are built really well and the aging is more than just visual. The guitars in fact have a 'worn in' feel to them.

It has USA pots and 5 way switch. The only knock I would put on them are the Tex Mex pups, which arent bad, but put in some high quality pups, and you have a great guitar on your hands. The thin finish and the dry wood makes for a crazy resonant instrument.

I was floored when I tried one and bought it right away.
Axe Murderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Why don't they just put a ****ing nitro finish on all their guitars???

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.


Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
Roc8995
Moderator
 
Roc8995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
I don't think it's quite fair to say that the roadworn aren't a good value just because they're made by the same people with the same wood. An American Special, a MIA Standard, and an American Deluxe are all very analogous in their differences - made in the same place with the same wood and by the same people. And the price differences there are about the same. And I think that each of them is worth the price increase over the others.

Saying that it's "only" a difference of a (much more expensive) finish, better hardware, and better electronics seems a bit silly. The build quality seems better to me on the Roadworns than on most MIMs to me, too. But anyway, to me a MIM plays and sounds like a $500 guitar, and the Roadworn plays and sounds like an $800 guitar, and claiming that one's a ripoff because the same person made both doesn't make a whit of difference to me.

I see that the Roadworn are up to 900 now which is too high. But when they were 699 and 750 they were, I think, a good value.
__________________
rr, pe&a
Roc8995 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #11
kangaxxter
tune up turn on rock out
 
kangaxxter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
Why don't they just put a ****ing nitro finish on all their guitars???



Because it's a huge pain in the ass, more expensive and more dangerous (atomized nitrocellulose tends to explode, meaning it can't be sprayed on to a guitar) than inert polyurethane. Nitrocellulose is so reactive that movie film made from it wasn't allowed to transport in on public transportation, putting into a spray makes it much more dangerous.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Anonymous
Buy the cheapest guitar you can find at a pawn shop and spend the rest on speed

Guitar

Whenever I hear someone say that they play exclusively a single genre, I always assume that they're just a terrible guitarist.
kangaxxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #12
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaxxter
Because it's a huge pain in the ass, more expensive and more dangerous (atomized nitrocellulose tends to explode, meaning it can't be sprayed on to a guitar) than inert polyurethane. Nitrocellulose is so reactive that movie film made from it wasn't allowed to transport in on public transportation, putting into a spray makes it much more dangerous.


Was kinda rhetorical, I know why, I just wish for it .

I just want my guitar to relic naturally without me having to refinish it or pay for a nitro finish.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.



Last edited by Mephaphil : 01-10-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #13
|Long|
String Theory
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
Was kinda rhetorical, I know why, I just wish for it .

I just want my guitar to relic naturally without me having to refinish it or pay for a nitro finish.

Most people don't though

IIRC it's also illegal to use nitro in some states.
__________________
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #14
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by |Long|
Most people don't though

IIRC it's also illegal to use nitro in some states.


So they can't sell the Roadworn there? I live in the UK.

What about nitro in aerosols? It's all quite stable now though ain't it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.


Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #15
Maximus_2005
Registered User
 
Maximus_2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
I just think if someone owns two mim strats then buying a roadworn strat isnt much of an upgrade. The finish is different but thats just not a big deal to me. Imo.

I would consider a tele ts, like you said. It would be a good change from strat, something a little different.
__________________
Quote:
"evil esteban"
if this thing melts again i'm takin' it to bugera headquarters, puttin' a bag of fecal matter on it, ringin' the doorbell and flippin the switch from "standby" to "on", and running.

Quote:
"tubetime86"
This wasnt even a cool story... Bro.
Maximus_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #16
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus_2005
I just think if someone owns two mim strats then buying a roadworn strat isnt much of an upgrade. The finish is different but thats just not a big deal to me.


You should reread this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
I don't think it's quite fair to say that the roadworn aren't a good value just because they're made by the same people with the same wood. An American Special, a MIA Standard, and an American Deluxe are all very analogous in their differences - made in the same place with the same wood and by the same people. And the price differences there are about the same. And I think that each of them is worth the price increase over the others.

Saying that it's "only" a difference of a (much more expensive) finish, better hardware, and better electronics seems a bit silly. The build quality seems better to me on the Roadworns than on most MIMs to me, too. But anyway, to me a MIM plays and sounds like a $500 guitar, and the Roadworn plays and sounds like an $800 guitar, and claiming that one's a ripoff because the same person made both doesn't make a whit of difference to me.

I see that the Roadworn are up to 900 now which is too high. But when they were 699 and 750 they were, I think, a good value.


The finish, the hardware, build quality and electronics are enough of an upgrade for lots of people to spend money on a Deluxe Strat when they have a MIA so upgrading from a MiM to the Roadworn makes perfect sense to me, although I don't think the worn is enough and I think you should do it yourself, but whatever, an upgrade is an upgrade . I would advise saving up for a MIA but if you really can't I definitely wouldn't deter someone from buying one, especially if you're selling a lesser model to get it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.



Last edited by Mephaphil : 01-10-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:45 PM   #17
Roc8995
Moderator
 
Roc8995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
I try not to make any statements about the wear and whatnot, since it's really divisive and personal.

It does make the guitar more comfortable but a lot of people really don't like how it looks, or dislike the idea of having a pre-distressed guitar. So I figure, we'll talk about all the other merits of the guitar and you can decide for yourself if you like the finish.

Anyway, yes, I think either guitar is a good choice but it seems like a mistake to not go for the one that's clearly better because you want to hang on to your old guitar. If it's got sentimental value that's one thing, but it seems to be a common disease that makes people start collecting stacks of mediocre guitars instead of having 2 or 3 that are really special.
__________________
rr, pe&a
Roc8995 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #18
ccannon1
Band Geek
 
ccannon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
I think you should save for the MiA Tele, I literally just got mine today and haven't been able to put it down
__________________
My soundcloud and my band, Mabel's Flight. Basically plebeian hipster music
ccannon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #19
Discomonkey33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Line up 100 "road worn" strats, and you will notice they have the same wear marks in the same exact spots. IMHO it makes more sense to get just a basic strat and beat the hell out of it yourself, instead of paying a machine to "relic" your strat.

It's a win-win situation...

1) you save money by skimping out on the "road worn" finish.

2) the marks YOU put on it are exclusive to you and hold a story behind each dink and dent. Ie: see that scratch dude? That was the whiskey talkin'

Last edited by Discomonkey33 : 01-10-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Discomonkey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #20
Roc8995
Moderator
 
Roc8995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Except that you can't get a "basic" strat with the same specs as a roadworn at that price, and you can't put that kind of wear on a poly finish.
__________________
rr, pe&a
Roc8995 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:21 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.