Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
Sir Stoney
Registered User of Herb

I pulled the shaft out of my push/pull knob

Over the past week the nut and washer ( I think that is what they are called ) has been loose. So just like any other problem like this, I thought I needed to remove the knob to tighten it. Well... I pulled up and guess what happens. The volume knob came off all right, but so did the thing that you put the knob on with the 1 inch little metal piece attached to it. Im really sorry if I can't explain it very well, If all else fails I can make a video with my phone to show you what I am talking about. Now, Nothing appears to have broken. I tried to put it back in but it wouldn't work. Is there a easy way to fix this or Am I screwed?

Last edited by Sir Stoney : 01-10-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Sir Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Sir Stoney
Registered User of Herb

I have a video recorded in case someone needs to see what I am talking about.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Yeah, sounds like a replacement is in order...

Which in all honesty IS an 'easy fix'.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
Sir Stoney
Registered User of Herb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Yeah, sounds like a replacement is in order...

Which in all honesty IS an 'easy fix'.

I am broke though, I don't have the money to replace a pot. I did figure out what it is called, the "shaft" pulled out, and the little rectangular piece at the end is still intact. I can put the knob back in, but it is stuck on the single coil. When I pull up it comes out really easy. Sometimes I hate my life,
Old 01-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Pots cost next to nothing. I've eaten sandwiches that cost more than a new push-pull pot does. Unless you're in a position where you can't afford to buy food, i.e. homeless, you can afford to replace one pot.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
Sir Stoney
Registered User of Herb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Pots cost next to nothing. I've eaten sandwiches that cost more than a new push-pull pot does. Unless you're in a position where you can't afford to buy food, i.e. homeless, you can afford to replace one pot.

I know the pot itself is maybe 10 bucks, but the labor to replace it is rediculous. In Nashville, the tech was wanting to charge 40$ for the labor of replacing a tone pot. I really don't have $50, $30 is the most Id go.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

It takes literally no more than 10 minutes to take the broken one out, put a new one in and solder the wires on. A soldering iron costs very little and requires no skill to operate. The only reason to ever take a guitar to a tech is if the guitar itself is structually broken and needs hefty repairs, or if you want to get the frets altered. All the electronic stuff you can do yourself for effectively free.

Rate This Thread: