Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #21
Van Noord
Deactivated

I actually found an OD pedal pushing the gain on the JSX makes the amp sound worse than straight in.
I can also get the same deep concusion like palm mutes from my JSX as I can from my 6505. Ohly JSX is smoother and more compressed, while the 6505 gain is more jagged and acidic sounding.
I own both for a reason. They do their own thing better than the other.

MARSHALL 2203KK
VHT Pittbull Ultralead
MESA Single Recto
PEAVEY 6505
SOLDANO Avenger
PEAVEY JSX
MARSHALL JVM 210H
Van Noord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #22
Deadpool_25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Noord
I actually found an OD pedal pushing the gain on the JSX makes the amp sound worse than straight in.
I can also get the same deep concusion like palm mutes from my JSX as I can from my 6505. Ohly JSX is smoother and more compressed, while the 6505 gain is more jagged and acidic sounding.
I own both for a reason. They do their own thing better than the other.

Yeah, from what I can tell (just from YT vids) I like the character of the JSX as much even with heavier palm muting. I'm not a metalcore/death/doom metal guy though ao I tend to ignore that end of the spectrum.

Were you using the drive on the OD you tried? Or more as a clean boost?
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Deadpool_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #23
Van Noord
Deactivated

Just a clean boost, maybe a touch of gain from the OD pedal like at 1/10.
I don't boost amps anymore though. All my OD pedals are packed up. I've learned to make an amp sound great with no front end help.
But when I did boost amps, the JSX was the only amp I didn't boost.

MARSHALL 2203KK
VHT Pittbull Ultralead
MESA Single Recto
PEAVEY 6505
SOLDANO Avenger
PEAVEY JSX
MARSHALL JVM 210H
Old 01-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #24
Deadpool_25

Gotcha. I'll keep that in mind. Maybe just use it for blues on the clean channel. Thanks.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Old 01-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #25
Perverockstar69

If it is for blues then you don't need any od pedals with that amp, believe me.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)

Last edited by Perverockstar69 : 01-14-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Perverockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #26
Flux'D
Plays a pitchfork

I traded a Jet City JCA100H for one. Definitely a cool amp, but everything sounded a little sterile and not quite right to me. Almost like everything was being run through a SS preamp stage or something, it didn't sound organic in the slightest.

Those are minor points though, it would make a terrific gigging amp. The only two complaints I had about it were the pointless noise gate, and it was harder than hell to get a good solid low gain tone out of. The clean channel cranked would barely break up, and the 2nd channel with the gain real low and volume cranked sounded too aggressive for classic rock and blues.

For me and my playing style, I found the Jet City to be the better suited amp and it dished better organic/natural tones. The JSX is a fine amp though!
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60
Flux'D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:13 PM   #27
JoePerry4life

I have to say I could get great blues tones from the amp myself. With a bit of delay in the loop, rhythmn channel with the gain dialed back to like 2, it sounds brilliant.

The only thing I couldn't get was the 6505 sound. It had its own thing kind of going on, so to me it was its only weakness.
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
JoePerry4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:15 AM   #28
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

The JSX is very sensitive to preamp tubes. Unless you can afford NOS tubes it's JJ or gtfo.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:52 AM   #29
Van Noord
Deactivated

Oh yeah, mine has JJ pre's in it for nearly 8 years now. Best tubes for the amp. Worst thing you can do is use EH, Sovtek or Tungsol tubes in the first three spots. Things will get shrill, plastic and sterile sounding fast.

Regarding the noise gate, the complaints are justified, but only because Peavey used the word "gate".
They should have called it a "Noise Reducer" since this control has NO CLAMPING CAPABILITY.
It only reduces/eliminates hiss & hum from the preamp. It does it really well actually. It's simple and transparent.
I have always used an external noise gate with my JSX as a result. No complaints on my end.

MARSHALL 2203KK
VHT Pittbull Ultralead
MESA Single Recto
PEAVEY 6505
SOLDANO Avenger
PEAVEY JSX
MARSHALL JVM 210H
Old 01-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #30
icronic

I actually had decent luck getting a Bonamassa/Gibbons type tone on the crunch channel. I ended up with some really odd EQ settings (dimed bass mids and presence had the treble nearly off and the resonance to taste. I was surprised at how well it actually cut. Either way it's one of those amps where you can actually use extreme EQ settings and still get functional tones.

Weaknesses? If we're talking the combo... It's heavy and I wasn't very fond of the stock Peavey speakers.

Otherwise, unless you've got the gain really really low it's very compressed and not very dynamic.
icronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:32 PM   #31
hey_joe42

I have owned a JSX since they came out. Can't remember when that was. I had tried out the Peavey Penta, Marshall TSL, Peavey 6505 and the JSX. I found the JSX could mostly accomplish what the 6505 could do, not as extreme metal, but close enough for me, and having 3 channels. The sound beat the marshall. And the Penta just couldn't do a good heavy but I still have an empty spot waiting for me to find another penta. It had the tone that the jsx was missing, the blues and more classic rock low gain stuff.
So faults the noise gate is useless. Without a proper noise suppressor like the Boss ns-2 it squeals like a pig at high volumes the second you take your off the strings or let a note ring too long. And then the lack of reverb. But for the price and the sound I was able to overlook those and thing it is a fantastic amp. Haven't had any problems with it. And I like how you can use the effects loop if you got nothing in it as a volume boost. Also it has a great clean channel that could handle your multieffects units well.
hey_joe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:45 AM   #32
Deadpool_25

Great feedback, all. Thanks for sharing some settings. So a gate is a good idea--I can see that already. NS-1 or Decimator? I've heard great things about the Decimator. Oh. M13 has a built in gate. Guess I should try that first lol
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Last edited by Deadpool_25 : 01-16-2013 at 01:50 AM.

Rate This Thread: