Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-11-2013, 01:53 AM   #1
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy
 
RedDeath9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
From Summer to Autumn (RPG town theme, GP5+4+MIDI) C4C

Sup. I actually finished this a while ago, but I never officially posted it here. It's actually what I'd consider one of the first songs of my "mature" era of VGM writing. I actually put effort into the orchestration, instead of choosing random instruments. Hm... Well! Influences would include... I don't even know. Tales of Symphonia music, Pokemon music, Nobuo Uematsu, Yasunori Mitsuda, and also Code Geass music. Yes. Some of you have probably heard this before, as it's on my profile as well, and I posted it in the RPG collab thread, and I submitted it to the UG 8-bit album

Anyways, enjoy! And remember, c4c
Attached Files
File Type: zip From Summer to Autumn.zip (15.3 KB, 134 views)
__________________

This creature sleeps beyond the flow of time
RedDeath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:02 AM   #2
HaydenHohns
Maths/Music Enthusiast
 
HaydenHohns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Wow! This surpasses your previous works by far. It's also nice to see some anime fans here. I'm getting Code Geass (seasons 1 and 2, haven't watched any yet but I loved MSG Seed) for my birthday (little over a month from now) and my favourites from the OST(s) are "The Master" and "Nightmare".

I'm not sure if I can crit this properly. Once question I have to ask you is; how do you structure music? It is something I entirely lack in competency. I'd really like to know if there is any underlying though process as you compose.

First of all, those major/major 7ths at bars 13-14 were awesome. Really nice and is like the icing on the cake (but a chord progression in this instance).

That triplet 16th bit in bar 25 make that melody worth it alone. The phrasing is impeccable.

Another awesome finish to a chord progression is at bar 60, those harmonies are jaw-droppingly awesome.

Only criticism I can think of now is at about bar 114 (that section in general), why not try using tubular bells to reach a better climax which the vibraphones sort of fall short of. Actually I think that would sound awesome. Your choice though.

Thanks for delivering an awesome piece of music to us. I hope you continue to do so. I'd give you something to crit but I don't have anything worthy at this point. You can always listen to the piece in my signature but that's in original recordings so don't bother critiquing it.

Thanks again.
__________________
The Portrait's Secret

Last edited by HaydenHohns : 01-11-2013 at 04:04 AM.
HaydenHohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random
 
EpiExplorer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
If I were a game dev, I'd buy it. XD

You're so good at this, makes my composing skills feel like shite :c
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random
 
EpiExplorer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Gettin hints of Nobou Uemetsu and Hitoshi Sakimoto.. so dreamy.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
Butt Rayge
UG Resident
 
Butt Rayge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ice Kingdom, Land of Ooo
This isn't going in an actual game is it? If it is I'd suggest possibly splitting up a couple of the themes. They work so well as a singular piece, but depending on the context, they could also be separated and used for different levels/settings.

The piece as a whole is brilliant though. I have no criticisms, I was just commenting on the application. Reminds me of some of my favourite game music: Koji Kondo's Zelda works and Super Mario Galaxy:
Butt Rayge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy
 
RedDeath9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenHohns
Wow! This surpasses your previous works by far. It's also nice to see some anime fans here. I'm getting Code Geass (seasons 1 and 2, haven't watched any yet but I loved MSG Seed) for my birthday (little over a month from now) and my favourites from the OST(s) are "The Master" and "Nightmare".

I'm not sure if I can crit this properly. Once question I have to ask you is; how do you structure music? It is something I entirely lack in competency. I'd really like to know if there is any underlying though process as you compose.

First of all, those major/major 7ths at bars 13-14 were awesome. Really nice and is like the icing on the cake (but a chord progression in this instance).

That triplet 16th bit in bar 25 make that melody worth it alone. The phrasing is impeccable.

Another awesome finish to a chord progression is at bar 60, those harmonies are jaw-droppingly awesome.

Only criticism I can think of now is at about bar 114 (that section in general), why not try using tubular bells to reach a better climax which the vibraphones sort of fall short of. Actually I think that would sound awesome. Your choice though.

Thanks for delivering an awesome piece of music to us. I hope you continue to do so. I'd give you something to crit but I don't have anything worthy at this point. You can always listen to the piece in my signature but that's in original recordings so don't bother critiquing it.

Thanks again.


No, thank you Your crits are always a pleasure to read.

Structure is probably what I struggle with most. I've always been bad at it. And so, I am very, very perfectionist when it comes to it. I will spend days trying to figure out the perfect riff to follow another. Honestly though, my method isn't anything too impressive - I mostly write riffs one after another and see what their flow implies. Sometimes I'll end up writing a "climax" riff, and then, because it sounded too intense, I'll push it away until later. This is what happened in this song, actually - I wrote the climax at bar 57 after bar 22, originally - but I realized it would fit the part of the climax very well, so I moved it. Then I wrote 23-56, and made it lead into the climax as necessary. So basically, if I had to sum up my structuring process in a phrase... I basically just try to bridge important parts of the song together, in a way that makes sense. I guess "makes sense" is pretty vague, but... I just try to keep shit flowing, without having all of the riffs run together, and without disrupting the flow too much. I dunno, there are a lot of structural techniques I haven't used. I am still learning, myself, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiExplorer
If I were a game dev, I'd buy it. XD

You're so good at this, makes my composing skills feel like shite :c


Hell naw dude, you're developing quite a distinct style. Keep working at it, you'll get even more awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Rayge
This isn't going in an actual game is it? If it is I'd suggest possibly splitting up a couple of the themes. They work so well as a singular piece, but depending on the context, they could also be separated and used for different levels/settings.

The piece as a whole is brilliant though. I have no criticisms, I was just commenting on the application. Reminds me of some of my favourite game music: Koji Kondo's Zelda works and Super Mario Galaxy:


Thanks a lot, man And I will try out that idea.
__________________

This creature sleeps beyond the flow of time
RedDeath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:22 AM   #7
HaydenHohns
Maths/Music Enthusiast
 
HaydenHohns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
@RedDeath9: Thank you very much. I always try to say something that I don't think anyone else will pick up on. As for structure, that sounds like it could be painful. I'll take a good stab at it. I have about 10 unique ideas that sound fantastic by themselves but as soon as I add something they sound choppy and discrete. I guess I should stick to emulating my idols in terms of dynamics and climactical structure. That said, I think you might like the band Anubis Gate. Listen to their two latest albums for the more proggy stuff (which you seem to be interested in). The earlier stuff is notably more power metal, which you probably won't like.
__________________
The Portrait's Secret
HaydenHohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:44 AM   #8
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy
 
RedDeath9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenHohns
@RedDeath9: Thank you very much. I always try to say something that I don't think anyone else will pick up on. As for structure, that sounds like it could be painful. I'll take a good stab at it. I have about 10 unique ideas that sound fantastic by themselves but as soon as I add something they sound choppy and discrete. I guess I should stick to emulating my idols in terms of dynamics and climactical structure. That said, I think you might like the band Anubis Gate. Listen to their two latest albums for the more proggy stuff (which you seem to be interested in). The earlier stuff is notably more power metal, which you probably won't like.


I've actually heard Andromeda Unchained, it's pretty decent. I'll check out their newer stuff though.
__________________

This creature sleeps beyond the flow of time
RedDeath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:04 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.