Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
MassiveGuy

Acoustic guitar help

Hey people,i recently got a budget of more or less 350-450 bucks and im looking for a nice acoustic guitar.I read the pages for guitars of the 350-450 range on the forums and other sites.The Seagull S6 and Big baby taylor seem to be good choices.I do understand that i should try out the guitars myself and make a choice,however,i'd like some opinions on the guitars before going to the faraway store to try them out.

Also,i was thinking of ordering the guitars from Musicians's Friend.What are your thoughts on the site?Any drawbacks?If there are any other nice guitars out there please name them too.I played for about 2-3 years and am still using a starter classical yamaha.I play mostly fingerstyle songs,some mainstream pop music,a few classical ish pieces.

Thanks any feedback is appreciated.
MassiveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
Captaincranky

Musician's Friend is as good or better than any site on the web to do business with. "zZounds' is another class "A" online music outlet. I routinely do business with both of them and never had a complaint.

Both sites offer phone ordering, and the case of Musician's Friend, discounts that can't be published, or may be denied on the website, can be negotiated on the phone.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #3
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

i found the seagull s6 to be more versatile than the big baby - fuller, more balanced. others i like are the blueridge br-40, yamaha fg730.

you might also consider recording king. they make good sounding dreads in a traditional martin style including this all solid model. amazing bang for the buck!
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/...eries--RD10.htm

and this solid top model
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/...ought--RD06.htm

and elderly is a great store, btw.

i've been ordering from musiciansfriend since 1994, and have always been very happy. when they sent me a guitar with an issue, they paid return shipping and replaced it very quickly.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:27 AM   #4
scorpsfan830

I own a Yamaha FG730S. It's an amazing guitar

Ibanez RG350EX
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt
Korg CA-40 Chromatic Tuner
Fender 351 Medium Guitar Picks
scorpsfan830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
MassiveGuy

thanks for your replies.hope to see more opinions ^^
Old 02-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
ghobby

Taylor, Seagull S6, Yamaha FG, all get my vote too. And I'll add a Cort Earth 700. All really decent guitars for the money.
ghobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
stepchildusmc

as you say, you play mostly fingerstyle. the Seagull S6 would be a natural first choice. are you looking for an electric/acoustic or a regular acoustic only? the onboard tuner comes in handy and the option to plug it in and use a few simple effects later is a tasty option. the options everyone else has are an excellent palette of choices.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
MassiveGuy

im looking for a regular acoustic.going to try th seagull out soon
Old 02-16-2013, 08:36 AM   #9
MassiveGuy

hey guys,just went to the guitar shop.i managed to try the seagull and a guild guitar.any opinions on guild as a brand?ill be making more trips and ill try the big baby too on my next one.chheers

EDIT:Found out that i cannot ship the seagull s6 or the taylor big baby to Singapore from musiciansfriend and locally they sell the seagull at $810 including a hard case..any solutions?

Last edited by MassiveGuy : 02-16-2013 at 08:54 AM.

Rate This Thread: