Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
AlexBUltimateGuitar
Account inactive

Thoughts?

So, I'm a guitarist who's looking to pick up bass (how many times have you heard that before? ) on the side to aid in learning music theory and just to mess around with. I walked into a pawn shop and saw a spotless Washburn T14 in its case for around $343 - accessories were a strap, extra strings and a bunch of books on bass and bass theory. I know after getting home and looking it up that I overpaid... ...but I still like it. Weight is a huge issue for me when it comes to guitars thanks to my back and I found other brands like Cort and some Ibanez models to put too much strain on it. This one, however, is light enough.

Thoughts? Did I make a bad buy?
AlexBUltimateGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

The Washburn T-14 is a well-made, entry-to-middle level bass. It comes in a number of finishes, and the black-on-black fretless model was a thing of beauty (I don't think they offer it anymore). It is a very capable bass with several good tones on tap. Yes, you probably paid a bit on the high side, but if you got a good hardshell case and the bass is one of the more elaborate Taurus basses, then you probably didn't spend too much. Washburn has always - for some unknown reason - largely ignored the bass market, and the result is that they offer only a few models. They're good basses, to be sure, but the company does not aggressively pursue the bass market.

Weight is an issue with a lot of basses, as unlike most guitarists, bassists really go for multi-laminate/sectional instruments constructed out of very heavy, exotic woods. Pick up an Alembic some day and you'll see what I mean. So if you found a lightweight bass that works for you, then by all means stick with it.

Welcome to the Low End, my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
AlexBUltimateGuitar
Account inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
The Washburn T-14 is a well-made, entry-to-middle level bass. It comes in a number of finishes, and the black-on-black fretless model was a thing of beauty (I don't think they offer it anymore). It is a very capable bass with several good tones on tap. Yes, you probably paid a bit on the high side, but if you got a good hardshell case and the bass is one of the more elaborate Taurus basses, then you probably didn't spend too much. Washburn has always - for some unknown reason - largely ignored the bass market, and the result is that they offer only a few models. They're good basses, to be sure, but the company does not aggressively pursue the bass market.

Weight is an issue with a lot of basses, as unlike most guitarists, bassists really go for multi-laminate/sectional instruments constructed out of very heavy, exotic woods. Pick up an Alembic some day and you'll see what I mean. So if you found a lightweight bass that works for you, then by all means stick with it.

Welcome to the Low End, my friend!

Thanks! Makes me feel a little better about it. The case is in like-new condition, like the bass, I don't think the previous player ever touched it and if it was played it was done so carefully. It has a "faux quilted maple" finish according to what I've read, which I like, and I like the sound.

To be honest about the back problems: I have a 30+ degree lower spinal curve. It's not enough to be noticeable, but it's enough to cause permanent pain even when not playing guitar. My options guitar-wise are running out (at this point I'm thinking of looking at hollow-bodies like Tokai or Epiphone, depending on how much I can spend then, simply because they might not hurt as much).

The realization that the back problems (and further joint problems) are only going to get worse as time goes on due to a degenerative connective tissue disorder tends to get me down on nights like this. Not that I should be venting about it in this thread but it can't hurt to mention.
AlexBUltimateGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

I don't know if it would interfere with amps, pedals etc. but there is actually a machine you can get which is usually about the size of a Nintendo DS called a TENS machine which interupts pain signals. My mother has a back condition and I bought one for her a few years ago. They're pretty cheap now too. When they first came out you were lucky to pay 80-90GBP over here in the UK and now you can get a basic one for around 20. It's pain relief without additional medication and they can also be bought now with heat/massage settings too. Might be worth looking into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
GAPendragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

Well... Welcome to the low end, and happy new bass day, i guess... Ouch for the back pain

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Sudaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: