Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
TVeye
Not Worth It......

Is a DJ a musician?

On appearance, it doesn't seem that hard but, admittedly, I'm not even sure what's involved. I dunno, you tell me.
TVeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
StopReadingThis
Mr. Waaayyyyne

Well I guess it depends...

no

But I will always find a way to survive
StopReadingThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Depends what they do.
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
Dayn

Some just play other's music and build good setlists to get a night going well. I'd probably call them a sound engineer more than anything.

Others actually make music. So yes.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
enzo_zeb

: a composer, conductor, or performer of music. they preform so yes?
enzo_zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
bustapr
Marty's loyal follower

if they just build playlists and carry around a sound system to parties, then no. neither if they just hang around turning knobs on a turn table, thats just being poser.

If they spend time actually making music(beats, rythms, whatever youd call them) for their own music or for other singers, instrumentalists, or studios to use, then Id say yes.

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
bustapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #7
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Chris Moyles isn't.
Quote:
Old 01-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Is someone who drives 5-miles to work every day a race car driver? Is the kid who sits in front of a computer monitor playing a $50 flight simulator program a pilot?

No.

Is a person who spins vinyl or CDs a musician? No. It makes them a DJ. By definition, a musician is one who plays a musical instrument. Playing a CD does not make one a composer, conductor or performer of music. If that's the case, then everyone who listens to music is a musician.

I eat bread. Does that make me a baker?
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #9
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
Is a person who spins vinyl or CDs a musician? No. It makes them a DJ. By definition, a musician is one who plays a musical instrument. Playing a CD does not make one a composer, conductor or performer of music.

It becomes blurred when DJs are actively manipulating the sounds that an audience hears - they're making music with electronic devices and by manipulating recorded sounds/music to make something different.
Quote:
Old 01-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #10
bustapr
Marty's loyal follower

All DJs who are worth their shit know their way around a keyboard imo. this day and age you have to consider DAWs and some VSTs as musical instruments.

a baker makes bread using cooking tools, and people later enjoy that bread. A musician makes music using musical instruments, and people later enjoy that music.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Old 01-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #11
Toasted_Waffelz

It depends on how much is automated- doing it with a controller into a computer running a program like Traktor you can use the automatic tempo match and just set up a playlist, or you can do it pretty much on-the-fly going by audience mood and use looping creatively, making drops and stuff, which is a lot of fun but very hard.
Even the most complex DJing isn't really performing musically since they prepare the songs before hand and just trigger them, there's not really any opportunities for adding musicality.
In summary; it's hard and fun, but it's something completely different to being a musician.
Toasted_Waffelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #12
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
It becomes blurred when DJs are actively manipulating the sounds that an audience hears - they're making music with electronic devices and by manipulating recorded sounds/music to make something different.

If the DJ is actively involved in making music , either with a keyboard, singing, or some other musical device, then he's a musician. I think I could even make a good argument against saying he's a musician if he sings. If he's simply manipulating something that someone else recorded, I have a hard time stretching that one to fit the definition of a musician.

FWIW, I used to DJ years ago. I did not use a keyboard, or sing, but I sure did a heck of a lot of mixing. Was I a musician? I don't think so.

Interesting topic.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:43 AM   #13
mdwallin

I reckon DJ's who put themselves under the category of 'live real-time production' are musicians.

For example the last show I directed and composed all music for, featured a piece in which I improvised on laptop, with two dancers. I had all my sounds and clips ready in Ableton which were then laid out across a couple of MPC controllers. I'd also mapped out a lot of effects including panning, pitch shifting, lengthening samples etc. I had to play while I improvised with these dancers, responding to how they moved and what they were doing while they responde to my sounds. I also had to spin the sound around the room, working with the delay and reverberance it created, and the fact I had 7.1 surround sound set up, with audience sitting in the middle.

I think it takes a musician to communicate musically, effectively.
Clip of my newest project involving dancers, lighting, costume design, projection mapping, and sound
http://youtu.be/9AoNlWLaOHU
mdwallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:11 AM   #14
chatterbox272

It definitely depends, as DJ is a pretty big area in itself. I would usually say no though.
It's not that I don't think it's very impressive what DJs who combine beats, samples, etc. together do, I find it very impressive and I think it takes as much skill as learning a musical instrument does. But in my mind a computer is not an instrument, and so I would class them differently. I also believe that a musician needs to know a certain amount of music theory, i.e. note names, some basic chords (Maj, min, power are enough IMO), and tempo/time sigs. Most of the DJs I know (who don't play musical instruments primarily) only know the last one, so I don't think they are musicians.

So overall no I don't think DJs are musicians, I think they're a separate thing that requires equal skill and happens to have some similarities to musicians.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:25 AM   #15
TheHydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
It definitely depends, as DJ is a pretty big area in itself. I would usually say no though.
It's not that I don't think it's very impressive what DJs who combine beats, samples, etc. together do, I find it very impressive and I think it takes as much skill as learning a musical instrument does. But in my mind a computer is not an instrument, and so I would class them differently. I also believe that a musician needs to know a certain amount of music theory, i.e. note names, some basic chords (Maj, min, power are enough IMO), and tempo/time sigs. Most of the DJs I know (who don't play musical instruments primarily) only know the last one, so I don't think they are musicians.

So overall no I don't think DJs are musicians, I think they're a separate thing that requires equal skill and happens to have some similarities to musicians.

Why? A computer produces sounds. It can produce music. What makes it a non-instrument? Is a synthesizer not an instrument?
TheHydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:05 AM   #16
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHydra
Why? A computer produces sounds. It can produce music. What makes it a non-instrument? Is a synthesizer not an instrument?

because all the computer does is repeat a pattern. A DJ has to play a pattern once then the computer will take over and continue to play the pattern until it is told to stop. I would think of a DJ as more similar to a conductor in an orchestra, the DJ tells them what to play like a conductor gives sheet music to the orchestra members, then tells them when to stop like a conductor cutting off a section.

Quote:
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:11 AM   #17
bustapr
Marty's loyal follower

but the DJ inputs a pattern to produce a melody(hopefully). I dont think it really matters if the computer repeats the pattern so long as the DJ is trying to make a melody with that pattern.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Old 01-12-2013, 02:23 AM   #18
TheHydra

Quote:
because all the computer does is repeat a pattern. A DJ has to play a pattern once then the computer will take over and continue to play the pattern until it is told to stop. I would think of a DJ as more similar to a conductor in an orchestra, the DJ tells them what to play like a conductor gives sheet music to the orchestra members, then tells them when to stop like a conductor cutting off a section.

That's only one usage of a computer. You can set up an electric guitar with a loop pedal and do the same thing; does that not make it an instrument? And surely you're not implying that conductors aren't musicians either? A conductor requires an outstanding ear, an unwavering sense of rhythm, and a thorough knowledge of the music being performed. He or she manipulates the orchestra just as the performers manipulate their instruments. That's musicianship as much as anything else is.
TheHydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:43 AM   #19
GoldenGuitar

Quote:

Have you even tried conducting an Orchestra? Do you know how difficult it is to do so? To me, if a DJ uses Vinyl manipulation techniques, they are musicians. Or if they do real time performances with something like Abelton, that also counts.
GoldenGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:38 AM   #20
chatterbox272

I could keep arguing this all day but I wont. IN MY OPINION DJs are not musicians, they are DJs. DJing requires a few similar skills to being a musician but a whole lot of different ones too and therefor I don't think they are the same thing. That is my opinion, and nothing anyone says will be changing that any time soon.

Quote:

Rate This Thread: