User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-15-2013, 02:02 AM   #61
:-D
hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
Is someone who drives 5-miles to work every day a race car driver? Is the kid who sits in front of a computer monitor playing a $50 flight simulator program a pilot?

No.

Is a person who spins vinyl or CDs a musician? No. It makes them a DJ. By definition, a musician is one who plays a musical instrument. Playing a CD does not make one a composer, conductor or performer of music. If that's the case, then everyone who listens to music is a musician.

I eat bread. Does that make me a baker?

this is horrendous, all of it

like you started off bad and then just explored depths of inaccuracy previously uncharted by our humble species

think i'm gonna take another couple weeks hiatus from this place, that was just

~*~mY mInD iS tWiStInGgGgGg~*~

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaholic97
Thanks! I wish everyone on Ultimate Guitar could be more like you!

Last edited by :-D : 01-15-2013 at 02:03 AM.
:-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:08 AM   #62
:-D
hi

was gonna start commenting on your "is someone" statements and their impeccable logic, but is someone who posts on a forum really an orange?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaholic97
Thanks! I wish everyone on Ultimate Guitar could be more like you!
:-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:20 AM   #63
Trevor556
Banned

but the DJ inputs a pattern to produce a melody(hopefully). I dont think it really matters if the computer repeats the pattern so long as the DJ is trying to make a melody with that pattern.[img]*********************************/images/24.gif[/img][img]*********************************/images/25.gif[/img][img]*********************************/images/26.gif[/img][img]*********************************/images/27.gif[/img][img]*********************************/images/28.gif[/img]

Last edited by Trevor556 : 01-15-2013 at 02:29 AM.
Trevor556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #64
LiquidSkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
and zimmer needs to get draugr'd outta this hoe, that lil bitch aint got shit on the rap game, aint got shit about nothin

Hahaha. Zimmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
But true Disc Jockeys are not making their own music, they are using other peoples music and scratching it or slowing it down or w.e. But it isn't theirs. They are stealing it.

I doubt any DJ spinning some records would say it's his music to begin with
And, really, they pay a lot of money to buy their records so they have a right to use them. If you sample sounds from other records, you pay money to get permission to use them. It's all perfectly legal. And the result can very well be music.

Scratching records on turntables also qualifies as a percussion instrument.

I recommend listening to DJ Shadow (esp. "Endtroducing..."), and then maybe some DJ Krush?
LiquidSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #65
Cheesepuff
i <3 you

Yes, even the "just-blend-the-songs-together" DJ

Even like mixing songs into each other in a cool way and keeping the vibe going yes. They use the music to evoke the emotion that makes people wanna dance. They blend songs together in a way that keeps the vibe going.

Just because it 'is not their music' does not make them non musicians. Am I not a musician If I'm in a cover band? It's the same thing. A DJ would 'cover' songs at a club or something. It's why the job exists at all instead of having an iPod on shuffle.

All y'all saying that "oh it's not an instrument hurr durr" anything that makes a sound can be an instrument.

And ther est of you saying "oh lol they dont know how to music theory hurr durr". You have no clue what goes into producing tracks. I dare you to even try, most of you will probably just give up at thinking of a good melody.

And even if it's the spin-the-vinyl guy, he has to match the tempos and pitches together in a way that doesn't sound terrible, which takes ear. "They still don't know theory and that makes them unmusician hurrrrrpp", you say as you listen to your Hendrix record. I scoff at you sir.

I mean, a musician by definition is someone that makes music yeah? Don't DJs and Producers and Arrangers etc whatever do exactly that?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #66
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesepuff
Just because it 'is not their music' does not make them non musicians.

Andres Segovia.
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #67
gabipe15

I guess you can call them musicians, cause they actually make music, whether they are remixing or not.
But what i'm sure of, is that a turntable or that mixing stuff is NOT an instrument, so you would not be a player of any instrument, you'd be a mixer, or engineer, dont know exactly.

I like instrument playing musicians.
gabipe15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #68
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabipe15
I guess you can call them musicians, cause they actually make music, whether they are remixing or not.
But what i'm sure of, is that a turntable or that mixing stuff is NOT an instrument, so you would not be a player of any instrument, you'd be a mixer, or engineer, dont know exactly.

I like instrument playing musicians.

Instrument: from Old English "tool, implement, utensil".

Decks are a tool for making sounds, just like a hairdryer, plastic bottle and some water are instruments if used in the right way.

A musical instrument (= a musical tool*) is anything that's used to make music, a musician is someone who is skilled in making music, and music is an art that uses sound and silence as its media.

I like musicians who write or play complex music that bears repeated listening and reveals depth when considered in the abstract. That doesn't mean Whigfield's "Saturday Night" isn't music though, even if I think (as I do) it's tedious to listen to.

* Not to be confused with Simon Cowell, who is just a tool.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #69
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHydra
You seem a bit insecure and personal about this matter.

Maybe a DJ stole his girl
CryogenicHusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #70
TVeye
Not Worth It......

The Cover Band/Turntable analogy is absurd.
TVeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #71
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Ever seen John Williams in concert? It's exactly like listening to one of his recordings, with the addition people coughing.

Sometimes people who play covers (which is, essentially, what JW does) don't differ in many important audible aspects from just putting on a record.

So I move that the cover band / turntable analogy is not absurd and you, sir, are an impudent fool.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #72
TVeye
Not Worth It......

U missed the point but, thanks for the insult.
Never heard of John Williams BTW.
TVeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #73
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVeye
U missed the point but, thanks for the insult.
Never heard of John Williams BTW.

You are welcome, Sir, and may I be the first to I assure you, Sir, that I have many more finely crafted and most hateful communications awaiting by dreadful bidding.

Also - on a slightly saner note - you've never heard of John Williams? Christ I'm getting old.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #74
Hail
kill both bass players

you linked the wrong guy dummy
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #75
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
you linked the wrong guy dummy

Doh

Last edited by Sleepy__Head : 01-21-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:03 AM   #76
guitoorbenchi

depends:

there's guys like this:

then there's guys like these:

guitoorbenchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:10 AM   #77
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

Why does the question matter?

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #78
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy__Head
Also - on a slightly saner note - you've never heard of John Williams? Christ I'm getting old.

Nah, you're not old. Most people simply lack culture.
CryogenicHusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #79
callumfrew97
me > you

if they scratch and slide and things, then maybe... but normally if they just play music and alter bass and suddenly think they're amazing musicians, they're most definitely not.
callumfrew97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #80
Guitarra_acores

I would say yes (assuming they do live perfomances and don't play pre recorded sets...) but the skill level is nowhere near what it takes to play an instrument or compose quality music.
Guitarra_acores is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: