Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #21
sashki
Look mum, no brakes!

I just don't understand why it would be of any benefit to the child knowing that they're adopted. Even if you convey it in an inoffensive way, it's still going to make them feel like an outsider. If I ever adopted a child (unlikely, but hypothetically speaking) I would treat them as one of my own, without drawing attention to the fact that they weren't our biological child.

Having read the responses, I'm kind of on the fence. I think it's best for them not to know, so they never feel alienated. However, they're gonna find out somehow, so it might be better to break it to them earlier to alleviate the shock, and so they learn to live with it.

I unno. There's a difference between lying and withholding information.

Last edited by sashki : 01-11-2013 at 11:57 PM.
sashki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #22
Skynyrd890
Unregistered User

I would think that if you're ever going to tell them, it should be from the start.

If a child knows they have been taken in by a family as their own, they'll grow up feeling like they belong, are loved, and may even feel lucky to have been given a better chance than what they would have had. I really doubt that they would take it negatively, if you don't put it negatively, or like it was a big deal that you're not their biological parent. I think if you tell them when they're 18 or something, you're basically saying "Hey, we've lied to you for 18 years! SURPRISEEEE!!!"
Skynyrd890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:59 PM   #23
Doug1145

Tell them as soon as possible.

In my opinion, it's better to tell them earlier than later.

I couldn't imagine being in my 20's and being told my parents aren't biologically related to me.

I would feel lied to honestly.
Doug1145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:59 PM   #24
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashki
I just don't understand why it would be of any benefit to the child knowing that they're adopted. Even if you convey it in an inoffensive way, it's still going to make them feel like an outsider. If I ever adopted a child (unlikely, but hypothetically speaking) I would treat them as one of my own, without drawing attention to the fact that they weren't our biological child.

Having read the responses, I'm kind of on the fence. I think it's best for them not to know, so they never feel alienated. However, they're gonna find out somehow, so it might be better to break it to them earlier to alleviate the shock, and so they learn to live with it.

You're letting your child believe a lie.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:59 PM   #25
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroRocker
Yeah, but can a kid understand that?

I feel like a first or second grader could understand.

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers
Gibson_SG_uzr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #26
palm mute
Reserved User

For those who think wait, imagine your parents tomorrow telling you they aren't your biological parents and that you were adopted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroRocker
Yeah, but can a kid understand that?

That part wasn't for kids, it was tied into the point before it about when they get older. The part for kids is where you make sure they understand that you loving them is not dependent on them sharing bits of your DNA. Only probably not worded that way

every night

Last edited by palm mute : 01-12-2013 at 12:05 AM.
palm mute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #27
IMABBALLPLAYER
doesnt really play bball

When you're on your deathbed. In fact I'm going to say that to one of my children when I'm right about to die. And they won't be adopted.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
IMABBALLPLAYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:06 AM   #28
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE

Quote:

I feel like a kid has the right to know the truth about their parents.

There's also a trust factor. If you can reveal such information to a kid at a young age, it makes sense that they would be able to trust you. Likewise, if they find out later or you never tell them directly and they find out otherwise, that could develop a rift.

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers
Gibson_SG_uzr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #29
sashki
Look mum, no brakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson_SG_uzr55
I feel like a kid has the right to know the truth about their parents.

There's also a trust factor. If you can reveal such information to a kid at a young age, it makes sense that they would be able to trust you. Likewise, if they find out later or you never tell them directly and they find out otherwise, that could develop a rift.

That is true, but I still feel like a kid would have a harder time dealing with it than an adult would. An adult, especially one who lives on their own, can survive the rift, since they're more independent, and potentially have other people they can trust (eg. friends, partners). A kid would have no-one else to turn to. When it turns out that the people you put the most trust in aren't your real parents, that can be a huge blow. Suddenly, you're living in a house with strangers who take care of you for reasons you don't understand. Who would comfort the kid in that situation?
Old 01-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #30
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt

On your deathbed.
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
lolmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #31
palm mute
Reserved User

What age kid are people talking about here? You don't wait until they are school age, you let them know as soon as they can talk basically.

every night
palm mute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:23 AM   #32
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga

Like usual, Sashki is wrong.
TunerAddict is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:24 AM   #33
captaincrunk
See, I Got News for You.

in the womb
#15 in the 2012 top 100
#23 in the 2010 top 100

NEW UG ALBUM! GET UG ELECTRONIC ALBUM: DISC THREE TODAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
I respect crunk.
captaincrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #34
due 07
haaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgery
raise them in knowledge of it

seriously. it's time we stop stigmatizing adoption ffs.
due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #35
Thrashtastic15
CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY

birth. ill make them work harder to earn my love and adoration compared to my non adopted kids

Florida Panthers 2014-2015
19 - 9 - 3

fuckin willis im gonna run that cunt
Thrashtastic15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #36
zdh

What possible benefit could come from telling someone they're adopted? Unless it becomes medically relevant to reveal that information, keep it to yourself.
zdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:28 AM   #37
due 07
haaan

Quote:
"Hey son kid, you're adopted. Your real parents are irresponsible and never loved you. To us, you're a complete stranger who leeches off our time and money. Don't you ever forget that."

and we also have to quit using terms like "real parents" to refer to biological parents. yr real parents are the people who raised you, biological or adoptive.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:29 AM   #38
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdh
What possible benefit could come from telling someone they're adopted? Unless it becomes medically relevant to reveal that information, keep it to yourself.
Avoiding psychological damage when they ultimately find out?
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
lolmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:29 AM   #39
due 07
haaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdh

if i was adopted i'd quite like to know.

keeping it hidden is a way to treat it as a negative, destructive thing, when in reality adoption is one of the most beautiful and wonderful things anyone can do. it should be celebrated, not shamed.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:31 AM   #40
Nelshizzle
Im toast with a jelly jam

I think at a young age. When they start learning the concept of actual parenthood, and how a family is what is meant to be perceived. Maybe 5-6 years of age? I would rather them be familiar with the concept when they are younger, then to find out later on in their teenage years where they might feel a sense of abandonment.

If they decide to find their biological parents, I would rather it be after they're 18 so they are a little more mentally prepared for the journey they embark upon.

Not enough action

Too much action

Not enough thoughts
Nelshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: