Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
Krauser
Ibanez Recommender

Line 6 UX1 + Shure SM57

Long story short, is this a relevant combination to record guitar to a Macbook? I want to mic my 5150 combo with the SM57, plug it into the mic input of the UX1, and then run it into GarageBand and Audacity (as well as other such programs) as a USB interface. Am I looking at the right item? Is there an easier or cheaper way to record with a mic into a laptop with optimal sound quality or is one of these UX1 type interfaces the only option (and by "only option" I don't mean that it's the only product that'll do it I'm wondering if it's the only way [direct in, etc.] to do such). Thanks guys!
Peavey 5150 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
WtrPlyr
♪♫♪

If you're using a mic i'd choose a different interface. The line6 thingies are great for running your guitar directly into your computer but if youre using a mic there are better options IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
Pedals are srs shit yo.
WtrPlyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
Krauser
Ibanez Recommender

Quote:
Originally Posted by WtrPlyr
If you're using a mic i'd choose a different interface. The line6 thingies are great for running your guitar directly into your computer but if youre using a mic there are better options IMO

In that case, what's a good interface for a mic? I'd rather mic up my 5150 to record because my tone is pretty much perfect out of it and a direct in to the line 6 would defeat the purpose. I know that Shure makes a USB interface that they sell with the SM57 as an optional bundle. Also, I was curious about using some of the clean effects in the UX1 with the SM57 which kinda turned me on to it in the first place... and the whole zero latency thing.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
PussyPunk182
Josh

I have an sm57 and a Pod UX2 and there isn't enough useable gain to make the mic sound good. If you are happy getting a large diaphragm condenser then its really fine, but then the UX1 doesn't have phatom power so thats a no go. If you are interested though, here is something I recorded for my girlfriend with just a Rode NT-1a and a UX2: http://soundcloud.com/lisaeatonmusi...l-my-love-cover

However, I can't get a nice sound, let alone a quiet sound out of my SM57/UX2 combo.

I would recommend looking at a different interface if you want to use a SM57, and a different mic if you want to use a UX1.
Originally Posted by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
PussyPunk182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
Krauser
Ibanez Recommender

I actually just spoke to my friend who is also our bassist and he informed me that he's got quite a range of microphones and interfaces. That said, I didn't know that a UX1, let alone a UX2, couldn't utilize the best from an SM57. What's it not providing that some other interface would?

Old 04-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
beckyjc
Replace the fuse mann.

2 main things you want in an interface really.
Good quality mic preamps.

Good quality digital to analog converters.

My old Mbox original was real cheap, actually had pretty nice preamps. But the AD/DA process turned it into shit anyway. You dont want that.

My new saffire pro 24 is pristine by comparison. Bit on the expensive side though, and its firewire.

Try the presonus audio box, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.
#31 of the EHX Guild
Laneyless Founder of the Laney Cult
#1 of the Orange TH30 Clique

beckyjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
PussyPunk182
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauser
I actually just spoke to my friend who is also our bassist and he informed me that he's got quite a range of microphones and interfaces. That said, I didn't know that a UX1, let alone a UX2, couldn't utilize the best from an SM57. What's it not providing that some other interface would?

I don't know how much you know about interfaces so I will assume you have basic knowledge, so please don't feel patronized if I explain something that you already know.

The signal flows through the microphone with a certain amount of power, and this enters the input of the interface. The "gain" knob on the interface will then take that signal, and amplify to as much as you need it to. This amplification can be done with different degrees of efficiency and quality, and the UX2 I have tried simply hasn't been able to amplify that signal particularly nicely. I I may be wrong, but that mic needs a nice healthy amount of gain to really get it sounding nice, and the UX2 doesn't have that sort of gain on tap. IF you try and turn it up loud enough to get a good signal, then it starts getting noisy and doesn't sound nice at all. However, with more sensitive microphones like condenser microphones, less gain is needed and so it really does work quite nicely. Like I said, these condenser mics need phantom power and UX1s don't have that.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
Krauser
Ibanez Recommender

Quote:
Originally Posted by PussyPunk182
I don't know how much you know about interfaces so I will assume you have basic knowledge, so please don't feel patronized if I explain something that you already know.

The signal flows through the microphone with a certain amount of power, and this enters the input of the interface. The "gain" knob on the interface will then take that signal, and amplify to as much as you need it to. This amplification can be done with different degrees of efficiency and quality, and the UX2 I have tried simply hasn't been able to amplify that signal particularly nicely. I I may be wrong, but that mic needs a nice healthy amount of gain to really get it sounding nice, and the UX2 doesn't have that sort of gain on tap. IF you try and turn it up loud enough to get a good signal, then it starts getting noisy and doesn't sound nice at all. However, with more sensitive microphones like condenser microphones, less gain is needed and so it really does work quite nicely. Like I said, these condenser mics need phantom power and UX1s don't have that.

Thank you for the explanation. My knowledge of the topic is basic to say the least. I understand the concepts of gain and the electronics behind how everything works, I'm just trying to grasp the ins and outs of how things really work well together and I've been reading up as best I can. Since the UX2 doesn't have the gain for an SM57 and is suited for lower gain condenser mics BUT doesn't have the phantom power to drive them, what mics actually work well with it? Sorry if it sounds noobish... still trying to wrap my head around all this haha

Old 04-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
MatrixClaw
UG God

I'm sorry, but if you don't have enough gain to run an SM57 through your UX1/UX2, then you're doing something wrong. Either you need to turn up the amp, or you need to check whether you have a genuine Shure mic.

The UX1 has plenty of gain to utilize an SM57 with an amp turned up to a decent level; if you're recording at speaking volume, you might as well not even be micing an amp. FWIW, since you're using a 5150 - I assume you're playing heavier music, at which point, I would strongly advise against using a condenser mic (as the main mic).

FWIW though, WtrPlyr is correct, the Line 6 interfaces have fairly poor mic preamps, and I'd suggest you go with something different, like a Focusrite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
Minimallamb

Have a look at the Roland ua 25ex. We use them at school and they seem pretty good, you can get them pretty cheep second hand, I saw one go for 30 once
Minimallamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #11
Krauser
Ibanez Recommender

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
I'm sorry, but if you don't have enough gain to run an SM57 through your UX1/UX2, then you're doing something wrong. Either you need to turn up the amp, or you need to check whether you have a genuine Shure mic.

The UX1 has plenty of gain to utilize an SM57 with an amp turned up to a decent level; if you're recording at speaking volume, you might as well not even be micing an amp. FWIW, since you're using a 5150 - I assume you're playing heavier music, at which point, I would strongly advise against using a condenser mic (as the main mic).

FWIW though, WtrPlyr is correct, the Line 6 interfaces have fairly poor mic preamps, and I'd suggest you go with something different, like a Focusrite.

I don't have either of the items on hand (UX1 or an SM57) I wa just concerned as to whether or not that would make a good combo to record with. And yes I'm playing heavier stuff with the 5150 and from what I've read, the SM57 seems to play very nicely with the 5150 for recording at higher volumes and for heavy music with a lot of gain.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #12
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauser
I don't have either of the items on hand (UX1 or an SM57) I wa just concerned as to whether or not that would make a good combo to record with. And yes I'm playing heavier stuff with the 5150 and from what I've read, the SM57 seems to play very nicely with the 5150 for recording at higher volumes and for heavy music with a lot of gain.

The UX1/UX2 have plenty of gain for SM57. These people who don't think so must not have taken the pad off of the UX for dynamic mics or something.

The UX series is as good as about everything in the price range (aside from the Focusrite Saffire 6 which in my opinion is the best in the class).

Last edited by FireHawk : 04-19-2012 at 05:03 PM.
FireHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #13
PussyPunk182
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw

I should be able to comfortably record reasonably quiet instruments and sounds easily, for example, a shakey egg or other quiet percussive sounds etc. But I simply can't get a good sound for those. However, at the studio I can easily get a good sound out of a 57 without having to crank the gain high at all. My SM57 came from GAK, a reputable music business to say the least.

Also, why should I not be micing an amp if it is not particularly loud? I generally don't like the sound of a line out from an amp, and I'm not particularly talented at working with amp sims.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #14
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PussyPunk182
I should be able to comfortably record reasonably quiet instruments and sounds easily, for example, a shakey egg or other quiet percussive sounds etc. But I simply can't get a good sound for those. However, at the studio I can easily get a good sound out of a 57 without having to crank the gain high at all. My SM57 came from GAK, a reputable music business to say the least.

Also, why should I not be micing an amp if it is not particularly loud? I generally don't like the sound of a line out from an amp, and I'm not particularly talented at working with amp sims.

First open up Gearbox (I believe only way preamps can be controlled aside from the knobs on top), then go to UX mixer and turn the -12db or whatever is on the mixer (its been a while since I done it) and you can get good recordings without cranking the gain.

Second, some people believe if your not recording it loud there is no point in doing it cause your not getting the tube tonal qualities.
FireHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #15
Linqua5150
Tube Addict

i have semi limited experience, but i dont find there to be a lack of gain on my ux2. i have a sennheiser e609 which is pretty similar to a sm57. im sure most interfaces out there sound better, but idk how different. i only have limited experience with a presonus firestudio project. i feel like its better, but i havent done like an a/b or anything. there def isnt lack of gain, but its for sure not the best sounding.
Laney AOR 4x12 w/ Jensen MOD
Jet City JCA2112RC
80's era Arion Stereo Chorus > Ibanez DE-7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.

Linqua5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #16
DoctorFu
The Doctor is In.

I really appreciate all the great info so far, guys!

I've already purchased a UX1 for guitar recording and would like to get the best microphone for recording with it. I'd love a few suggestions for one's that don't need phantom power and will work with the UX1.

Thanks!
DoctorFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #17
jasonlongden

Hi guys, I've just bought an SM57 but I can't seem to get it working through my UX1 I've had the UX1 for ages and it's been a great starting point for me but I can't get the mic to work at all

If anyone is using an SM57 through a UX1 I'd be grateful if you could tell how you got it working
jasonlongden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #18
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorFu
I really appreciate all the great info so far, guys!

I've already purchased a UX1 for guitar recording and would like to get the best microphone for recording with it. I'd love a few suggestions for one's that don't need phantom power and will work with the UX1.

Thanks!

Audix i5, Shure SM57, Sennheiser e609, Blue Encore 100i. Maybe the MXL R144 if you want big fat vintage tones.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: