Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
notone

Potentiometer shaft length?

Hello forum,

I am writing to ask for advice on modifying a Jackson guitar.

It's a Jackson D2, the cheap version of their Mark Morton signature. I keep it as a second (or actually: third) guitar that I sometimes use for home practice.

Right now there are some problems with the pickup selector switch, and since I really don't like the sound of the pickups anyway, I will use the opportunity to learn a bit about soldering and wiring/replacing parts instead of having it fixed. I am going to try to replace pickup selector, tuners, pickups and pots.

The pickups I'm looking at is a set of Seymour Duncan SH-6 passive pickups. My question, or problem, is the pots. I've noticed that there are several different shaft lengths, but I don't know what fits my guitar. Obvious first advice would be to remove them from the guitar and make a simple measure, but I will have to purchase new pots before I start picking the instrument apart.

Question for forum is:
a) Can anyone tell me to what degree exact length matters? And what would fit this instrument? (http://www.jacksonguitars.com/en-NO...rtno=2910506585)
b) I will purchase from the Swedish department of German music store Thomann. Would anyone be bothered to have a quick look and perhaps give a word or two on what would be a good buy? Direct link to pot-section: http://www.thomann.de/gb/potentiometers.html

Thank you for everyone's time. Any useful reply is very much appreciated!

Best regards,
x
notone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
Robbgnarly

You can use long shaft pots in most guitars, if they have room. You just use the 2 nuts they come with to "space" it right. But most guitars use short shaft. LP gutars are really the only guitars I can think of off hand that use long shaft pots.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
notone

Thank you for a quick and helpful reply. Any length will likely fit, then?

I'm probably stepping into "use the search-function"-territory here, but is potentiometer quality (price) generally considered to be important? Compared to pickups, for instance?
Old 01-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
Robbgnarly

Open up the back of the guitar control cavity. if the pots are on a spacer like what is in an LP you need long shaft if they are seated directly on the wood, short shaft pots will be fine.
This will get around removing them. But it is very easy to remove a pot from the guitar without de-soldering it just remove the knob and undo the nut on the top of the body. you should beable to push th pot into the cavity to see what it actually is.

Notice I said long pot will work as long as you have the room to make them fit in the cavity. Some guitar cavitys are too shallow for them to work.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
notone

Thanks, you were right. That was really easy. I measured the shaft to 10 mm.

Great help, thank you!

Edit: Lots of space in the cavity of this guitar, by the way. It seems I could fit almost anything in there.

Last edited by notone : 01-12-2013 at 05:03 PM. Reason: added comment

Rate This Thread: