Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-15-2013, 12:53 AM   #1
HammerParty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Tweaker 15 Head

I'm debating buying this head vs the blackstar ht-5 head. It will be used with the egnater tweaker 12" which is partially open and a g12h30 speaker. My main concern is the volume on the tweaker, will it be able to do low volume? I'm not worried about using the power amp section for distortion and gain as I can always use pedals for that, but I need an amp that wont piss off the neighbors in this apartment building. So would the tweaker be the better purchase over the blackstar ht-5? As I've heard the cleans are much better in the tweaker than the ht-5.
HammerParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:56 AM   #2
Roc8995
Moderator
 
Roc8995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Yes, I think it's a much better amp all-around. It does low volumes great, especially if you're getting your OD from pedals. Just so long as you're not expecting death metal out of it.
__________________
rr, pe&a
Roc8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:09 AM   #3
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Yes, I think it's a much better amp all-around. It does low volumes great, especially if you're getting your OD from pedals. Just so long as you're not expecting death metal out of it.



+311. thats about it. i got one of the first releases several years ago. its a good amp. i traded it after a few months though. good at lower volumes. i would log settings for the three different voices, because if you want to switch, you have to do some redialing. at least until you get to knowing how to make it sound best and committing settings to memory.

the blackstar 5 watter would be a huge waste IMO, they cost way much for what they are. also in case you didn't know, five watts dimed (not that i am saying you would) is really damn loud.
__________________

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way

will be picking up soon, Diamond Compressor, Musket Fuzz, Sparkle Drive and Strymon Mobius.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:20 AM   #4
HammerParty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Yeah, i figured both would be really loud. The 15 part is what scares me though. But I think being that there's a master, I can work well with it. hmmm
HammerParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:26 AM   #5
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerParty
Yeah, i figured both would be really loud. The 15 part is what scares me though. But I think being that there's a master, I can work well with it. hmmm


you will be fine, and you do have a master.

wattage doesn't mean much at all in terms of volume, mainly headroom. i forgot the correct math, but if you are curious do some searching.
__________________

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way

will be picking up soon, Diamond Compressor, Musket Fuzz, Sparkle Drive and Strymon Mobius.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:27 AM   #6
HammerParty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Ahhh cool. Thanks much.
HammerParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:10 AM   #7
Androidjoey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerParty
I'm debating buying this head vs the blackstar ht-5 head. It will be used with the egnater tweaker 12" which is partially open and a g12h30 speaker. My main concern is the volume on the tweaker, will it be able to do low volume? I'm not worried about using the power amp section for distortion and gain as I can always use pedals for that, but I need an amp that wont piss off the neighbors in this apartment building. So would the tweaker be the better purchase over the blackstar ht-5? As I've heard the cleans are much better in the tweaker than the ht-5.

I have a the tweaker 15 combo and its a hell of an awesome amp if you have a boost you can get a pretty good metal tone. Don't be worried about the volume too much because just about any master volume amp can work in a quiet situation for an example i use my jcm 800 in my bedroom and on stage lol Hope that helps \m/
Androidjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:05 AM   #8
HammerParty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Thanks for your opinion. If anyone else has more stuff to say, I'd love to hear it.
HammerParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #9
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast
 
fly135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Orlando
I have the Tweaker 15 and had an HT-5. No question about it, no matter the volume the Tweaker is a better choice.
__________________
Tasty Licks - A collection of my music
fly135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #10
ikey_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
i actually bought a tweaker 40 for bedroom use. A i wanted 2 channels, B i wanted a bit higher wattage if i gigged. i would prefer 20-30 watts though.

the deciding factor among its obvious features was LOW VOLUME USAGE! tweakers are fantastic to use at low volume and the knobs are easily manipulated.....not a 1 or 10 scenario or not a muffled tone.

all tube amps sound better cranked, but it does give a good tone at lower volume even at 40 watts. i do HIGHLY recommend a preamp tube swap which helps even more.

get the tweaker. very versatile amps. i really like mine. worth about every dollar i spent on it and hopefully it does me well for coming years before i decide to drop about a grand + on a big big boy amp .
__________________
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar vertical 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Accountant Comp, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
ikey_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
edit - i have a tweaker 40 and a 2x12 cab for bedroom use. in a thin-walled apartment complex.

so yeah. your fine.
__________________
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar vertical 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Accountant Comp, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #12
schecter ftw
UG Freak
 
schecter ftw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
My old guitarist use to use a Tweaker 15 head and 1x12 cab. It was easily able to keep up with my bass player's 4x12 cab, my Mark V combo, and drums. Sounded pretty nice too.
__________________
http://www.last.fm/user/mikebjammin
http://soundcloud.com/michaelbutler

Fender American Telecaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie Mark V combo
schecter ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #13
|Long|
String Theory
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Reviews say the tweaker is still good at low volumes, but when you get the chance to crack it up a bit more, the 12-1 range on the volume is the sweet spot.
__________________
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:15 AM   #14
ikey_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
if you had the extra cash, throw a eminence FDM speaker in there with attenuation down to about 91.5 DB....which is pretty much lower than any speaker currently made. some jensens or something go to 93.

that would make a fantastic bedroom amp. with that down, you start off the bat about 6-8 DB lower than most speakers. it takes 2x wattage to add about 3 DB

do the math on that one....FDM speaker in a bedroom sized amp pretty much = the quietest tube amp available with no impact on actual function of the amp.

only other alternative is an attentuator like a hot plate which is not only more expensive but is a lot more hasstle than a speaker in a cab.
__________________
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar vertical 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Accountant Comp, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:20 AM   #15
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick
 
cdr_salamander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Plano, TX
I used to have a Tweaker. Bought one of the first ones that came out; the 1x12 combo. I really loved it, had tons of versatility but I didn't keep it around very long due to a couple reasons:

1) The controls were on the back of the amp, so I had to strain my back a lot to tweak around and it was annoying. You wouldn't have to worry about this if you got the head/cab.

2) It was single channel. Like some people have said, if you found a sweet spot, you couldn't really save it unless you wrote it down.

If I was you, I would think about getting the Tweaker 40.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:32 AM   #16
gregs1020
Hi mom!
 
gregs1020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr_salamander
I used to have a Tweaker. Bought one of the first ones that came out; the 1x12 combo. I really loved it, had tons of versatility but I didn't keep it around very long due to a couple reasons:

1) The controls were on the back of the amp, so I had to strain my back a lot to tweak around and it was annoying. You wouldn't have to worry about this if you got the head/cab.

2) It was single channel. Like some people have said, if you found a sweet spot, you couldn't really save it unless you wrote it down.

If I was you, I would think about getting the Tweaker 40.

with the head the controls face forward, so it's not like on the combo where you can't see the settings. plus i heard tube swaps were harder on the combos.

i had the head and loved it for condo use. i ran it with a few types of power tubes. would own again.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I may just make you an honorary Aussie for that one greg.

if i've ever aspired for anything...

Last edited by gregs1020 : 01-16-2013 at 12:34 AM.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:36 AM   #17
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick
 
cdr_salamander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Plano, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
with the head the controls face forward, so it's not like on the combo where you can't see the settings. plus i heard tube swaps were harder on the combos.

i had the head and loved it for condo use. i ran it with a few types of power tubes. would own again.

Remember a couple years back when everybody was going crazy over the Tweaker? I think I still have comments on my profile from you about it
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #18
ikey_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
couple things - its going to be harder to hit the sweet spot on the 40 watt, and you cant interchange the power tubes on the 40 watt perhaps without modifying the amp.

i think you pretty much have to roll with the 6l6s....which for my general use are staying 100% clean. very rarely can i puah big tubes like that pumping 40 watts

tube changes? i dont know about the combo but the head has 2 grills on the back and top, each with about 4 screws on the 40. the back is for preamp tubes and venting, the top is for power tubes and venting.

the reason being that the 6l6 tubes in thier sockets do not allow enough space to be lifted up and tilted sideways out teh back. they must bel lifted straight out of the top of the amp.

and because they are so tight in the amp, im sure the venting was required directly above them. those big ole tubes get HOT (my last amp was a el84...)
__________________
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar vertical 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Accountant Comp, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #19
gregs1020
Hi mom!
 
gregs1020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr_salamander
Remember a couple years back when everybody was going crazy over the Tweaker? I think I still have comments on my profile from you about it

yep

my bad ikey - i was talking about the 15 watt combo vs the head.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I may just make you an honorary Aussie for that one greg.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #20
ikey_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
i would assume with the small size of the 15 and the length of el84s....they still have a similar way to change tubes compared to the 40 as well. i doubt they would change the design up that much.

yeah tweakers are solid. very easy to get lots of tones out of em quick.

if i could make the best egnater head out of a tweaker format it would be:

- 3 channels with a boost (extra gain stage for higher gain)
- preamp voicing switch for each channel (not the boost)
- atleast 2 different band EQ with active / passive switching
- volume level on FX loop
- built in reverb, channel selectable like the rebels
- vairable wattage like the rebels per channel
- tube agnostic (bias switchable)

packed into a similar size / weight as the tweaker 40. about the same wattage. my god. my dream. bruce if you can hear me, make that head now.
__________________
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar vertical 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Accountant Comp, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb)

Last edited by ikey_ : 01-16-2013 at 08:01 PM.
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:39 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.