Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-12-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
BoneAndDream

Feel like I have nothing to say musically

I have been playing for about 3 years now. I am pretty good i would say, i can cover difficult songs and learn some hard solos, fast complicated rhythms etc

but the problem is, i can't make anything of my own

when i sit down to play i dont have anything to "say" through my playing, i can't just feel music and play it. whenever i try to solo, i end up running up and down the c minor scale, or any other scale over and over in triplets, just repeating the same thing over and over.

the notes all fit, but it's never cohesive and smooth, it never comes together as an interesting solo

everybody tells me to "just feel it and you'll get it" but that doesn't work, i end up just sitting there. the one short song i made, i had to think hard about every single note to make it somewhat decent. no solo either. and that was all i had. i havent been able to make another.

please help, I want to be in a band and write my own material someday
BoneAndDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
salildeshpande7

figure out your favourite album/music by year, all instruments..
dont learn through tabs any longer, play music and not just scales and tech exercises
salildeshpande7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:55 PM   #3
takachan

To be honest, you would be surprised to find out how much you actually do know.
You stated that you could cover some difficult music on the guitar and your pretty well versed in the terms of guitar theory.
From my experience, I joined a band when I felt I was musically ready.
So I could tackle anything in my way with ease.
However I grew challenges within myself I could have never prepared for.
perhaps you might want to just join and the challenges you will have to face will show up.
Whether it be something melodic, technical, or even speed and length of songs.
takachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
salildeshpande7

if you want to get started on improvising, check out marty friedman's melodic control instructional
salildeshpande7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:12 AM   #5
Kromeo

To start off, I have a quote for you "Only play what you hear. If you donít hear anything, donít play anything." -Chick Corea. Now I am assuming that you can't express yourself and now are wanting to say things through your music.

What has helped me is doing aural skills. Now I don't necessarily mean doing menial tasks such as playing scales and singing to them, or identifying intervals like its a quiz. Like you have stated, you are pretty good so I am also gonna assume that technique is not your main concern. Honestly I would have to say that you seem to be in need of more listening than playing. I mean really focused listening as in that's the only thing your doing and not while doing the dishes.

I hope this helps as I am only giving my experience, and is obviously just one way of going about it
Kromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:59 AM   #6
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

With improv it really helps to have an idea of what notes are in each chord. That sounds strong.
LTD AW-7 (Dimarzio D-Activator 7s, Hipshot Bridge)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:19 AM   #7
barbuzim1

a lot of the melodic problems can be broken down to "theory" problems.

basically (if I get you right) you feel like there is no melody in you improvising/writing.

I like to look at melody as a strong catchy RHYTHMIC idea (take smoke on the water riff for an example) - try to make some rhythmic riffs of 4 bars (1/4 - 2/4 rest - 2/8, 2/8- 1/4- 2/4 rest, 1/4 rest- 4/8 - 1/4 rest, 4/8- 1/2- for example) & than sing it or tap it until you really know and control it. go up & down a scale with this rhythm only. listen to what you are playing make changes to get the melody you hear in your head.

a second way to look at melody is that a melody is a series of descending neighboring notes (E to D to C). This melodic points can be separated by different notes. for example: E- going up a scale for 4/8 than jumping down from A to- D - playing D two times than a descending arpeggio of D for 3/8 and stepping down to C. the E to D to C is still there as the basics to the melody. You should check Heinrich Schenker theory for a more in depth explanation.

a different way to go about it is to try & play children's songs or other none guitar music & add some motives to your writing/improvising.
barbuzim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
Zyzzvya

In constructing a framework for creative expression on an individual level, it's worth considering what exactly it is about the music you like and listen to that moves you.

Think about your favourite musicians, what it is about their playing, their message that really gets under your skin. Learn their songs, analyze them, listen carefully to the structure and composition of each piece. Pay attention to how you feel when you hear them play. What is it about that particular melody or beat that moves you?

Perhaps most important thing, I think, is understanding yourself and the way you relate to the world. What do you feel when you hear your favourite guitar line? What do you think when you have sex? How does it make you feel when you cry, when you laugh, when you **** up, when you triumph?

Spend some time sitting in quiet contemplation, observe your emotional reactions to life. Write them down, write lyrics, draw how you feel.

When you understand who you are as a human being, your ability to express yourself creatively will be limited only by your technique and your motivation.
Zyzzvya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #9
LiquidSkies

And learning songs should be: transcribing songs yourself by ear, seriously.
LiquidSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #10
Supersonic-95
UG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneAndDream
I have been playing for about 3 years now. I am pretty good i would say, i can cover difficult songs and learn some hard solos, fast complicated rhythms etc

but the problem is, i can't make anything of my own

when i sit down to play i dont have anything to "say" through my playing, i can't just feel music and play it. whenever i try to solo, i end up running up and down the c minor scale, or any other scale over and over in triplets, just repeating the same thing over and over.

the notes all fit, but it's never cohesive and smooth, it never comes together as an interesting solo

everybody tells me to "just feel it and you'll get it" but that doesn't work, i end up just sitting there. the one short song i made, i had to think hard about every single note to make it somewhat decent. no solo either. and that was all i had. i havent been able to make another.

please help, I want to be in a band and write my own material someday

Try reading some books on music harmony. Can't do owt with nowt it the head
Supersonic-95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #11
robbit10
Exploring Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzzvya
In constructing a framework for creative expression on an individual level, it's worth considering what exactly it is about the music you like and listen to that moves you.

Think about your favourite musicians, what it is about their playing, their message that really gets under your skin. Learn their songs, analyze them, listen carefully to the structure and composition of each piece. Pay attention to how you feel when you hear them play. What is it about that particular melody or beat that moves you?

This.. this is the advice I needed. I, too, have trouble composing anything with emotion in it. What I didn't realise before a few days ago, however, is that music only has the emotional effect on someone if they can associate with what the artist is saying or expressing.. Those things that make the most emotional impact on me, might have absolutely no impact on others.

Therefore, by writing music that strongly touches ME, those songs will in turn also touch others who have some or most of the same associations that I do. There is no scale or pattern that has a predetermined emotional effect on someone, it's all about what a person feels for, what they associate with, who they are.. that determines whether they get touched by your music or not. By writing music that touches me, it will also touch people like me..

One of the most important musical lessons I have thus far learned. Some people on UG already told me bits and pieces but this was the icing on the cake. Thank you.

EDIT: ..And apparently, this goes for instrumentals as well - I don't fully understand why. Without lyrics, what do they associate with?

Last edited by robbit10 : 01-21-2013 at 04:08 PM.
robbit10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #12
TANG0DOWN21

I'd prescribe the blues to you. It'll help you develop emotion when playing.
TANG0DOWN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:50 AM   #13
innovine

Learn how to make Techno
innovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #14
InfiniStudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbit10
There is no scale or pattern that has a predetermined emotional effect on someone, it's all about what a person feels for, what they associate with, who they are.. that determines whether they get touched by your music or not. By writing music that touches me, it will also touch people like me..

I like it when Katy Perry touches me!

(Just kidding. Nice post, robbit.)

No, seriously. It's not that you "don't have anything musical to say", it's probably that you just don't know how to express your emotions musically...

There are typically two ways to go about this:
1) Pick a topic that you are really emotional about and write some heart-felt poetry/lyrics.
b) then try to write a chord progression that matches that mood, that "fits" the lyrics.
2) Write a chord progression that expresses a certain mood.
b) then write lyrics over the progression that match

C) when you have the basic song down, now enhance it, sophisticate it, and dress it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbit10
EDIT: ..And apparently, this goes for instrumentals as well - I don't fully understand why. Without lyrics, what do they associate with?

Because MUSIC IS (Acoustic) ENERGY...
and as such that energy has a "feel" to it,
which in turn evokes a primal/emotional response in animals.
The "mood" of the music is matching your mood, eliciting empathy/sympathy/harmony.

Lyrics/"a message" is just an enhancer that adds an additional layer of emotion.
(That is why people can LOVE a song in a foreign language and have NO idea wtf the lyrics are about. LOL!
and conversely why really good poetry can have such an impact even with no music.
It's just a second "optional" layer
combining them "amplifies" the effect)

Happy Jammin!

Last edited by InfiniStudent : 01-23-2013 at 05:19 PM.
InfiniStudent is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: