Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-13-2013, 02:35 AM   #1
Bostonrocks
UG God

Rock Song! With Chorus Vocals! C4C!

Hey guys this is my band! Starting to record a new album soon and just showing some stuff off!!! Hoping to be a mix of closure in moscow/the wedding/paramore kind of thing.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2974259/JD%...t%20WithVox.mp3
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era

Last edited by Bostonrocks : 01-14-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Bostonrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
crushingmetal

Thanks for the review.

First off, great production, all the instruments are really clear, the snare cuts through and the guitar tone is nice and clean. I like the guitar melody in the pre-chorus, and the chorus vocals are good too. They're not too whiny like they sometimes can be in these types of songs, but they still sound sincere. The riff that comes in at 2:20 was unexpected, but it works well. I think that some of the drum parts could be better, like the part that comes in around 0:15, i'm just not sure it really pushes the song along, and the groove that it has doesn't really match the guitar part. Also the drum fill before the first chorus could be better.

The guitar solo sounds a bit unconfident (if that's a word), like some of the notes don't seem to ring out as loudly as they should, and that lick right at the end could do with a few more notes in it, it should be a better climax than it is.

Overall though the song is really well written and it sounds awesome for pre production. I would like to hear it with the rest of the vocals done.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
KevinFreund
UG Newbie

Great production! I love the double tracked guitars. The tone for everything blends nicely. The vocals a really great man. Perfect for this style of music. The song structure is great. Definitely one of the better songs here on UG. Great job!

Kevin
KevinFreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
aaron aardvark

Bostonrocks,
Some of the earlier palm-muted guitar could be played tighter, otherwise the guitar playing is good. Audio quality is pretty good. Drums sound nice. The melodies are good, nice song. I'd delete the ending talking commentary. Singing is good. Please review my music at this link:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1581578
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:06 AM   #5
zymn

Wow very nice quality. *drool* Wish I could get that... Everything goes together pretty well. Sort of sounds like Three Days Grace in the vocals. Is there a bassist? I can't really tell.
zymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
vivalaheerey

Sounds bitchin' man, like the pumping drums, guitars sound awesome, love the riffs and the lead parts, very well put together. mix sounds good, my only comments are that the i would of preferred a bit more grit on the bass guitar and occasionally the kick seems to cut all the guitars out at time, but sounds good!

give a crit on my mix?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1582621
ISP Decimator
MXR 10-band EQ
Boss OS-2
vivalaheerey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
Bostonrocks
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushingmetal
Thanks for the review.

First off, great production, all the instruments are really clear, the snare cuts through and the guitar tone is nice and clean. I like the guitar melody in the pre-chorus, and the chorus vocals are good too. They're not too whiny like they sometimes can be in these types of songs, but they still sound sincere. The riff that comes in at 2:20 was unexpected, but it works well. I think that some of the drum parts could be better, like the part that comes in around 0:15, i'm just not sure it really pushes the song along, and the groove that it has doesn't really match the guitar part. Also the drum fill before the first chorus could be better.

The guitar solo sounds a bit unconfident (if that's a word), like some of the notes don't seem to ring out as loudly as they should, and that lick right at the end could do with a few more notes in it, it should be a better climax than it is.

Overall though the song is really well written and it sounds awesome for pre production. I would like to hear it with the rest of the vocals done.

I think I said this, but it is prepro! So some stuff is going to change. The thing that are going to change the most are the verse drums and some of the fills.

The part you're referring to at 2:20 is actually the bridge and I think there will be vocals there!

The fast lick at the end of the solo sounded really weird with more notes, it just didn't it the song I thought thats why I didn't do it, but I might try it again when we start tracking a few weeks! Thanks for the Crit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron aardvark
Bostonrocks,
Some of the earlier palm-muted guitar could be played tighter, otherwise the guitar playing is good. Audio quality is pretty good. Drums sound nice. The melodies are good, nice song. I'd delete the ending talking commentary. Singing is good. Please review my music at this link:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1581578

Hey Aaron, You've listened to some of my stuff before, thanks for the crit! I'm not sure what you're saying about the palm muted stuff being tighter, there is no "popcorn" that I can hear, but I'll check the waveforms and see if its all lined to the grid right! The ending thing was a joke between my singer and I, I thought it was kind of funny, but whatever, different strokes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalaheerey
Sounds bitchin' man, like the pumping drums, guitars sound awesome, love the riffs and the lead parts, very well put together. mix sounds good, my only comments are that the i would of preferred a bit more grit on the bass guitar and occasionally the kick seems to cut all the guitars out at time, but sounds good!

give a crit on my mix?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1582621

Thanks dude, the kick is definitely a little loud in places, I'll have to comp it more. I'm happy you liked it. For the record I LOVED your song, its kind of the way my project is heading!
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote:
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Old 01-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
Gregjr22

dude! Right up my alley. Love this stuff.. Your mix sounds great i think the bass could come up a hair but I love the drum sounds. The leads definitely remind me of closure in moscow. I liked the vocals, Catchy and fit well in the song. Well done man!

If you have chance, swing by and give my track a listen.. looking for crits as well!

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1581719
Gregjr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #9
\m/Gaz

Writing while listening

I like the intro, production sounds great. The guitar tone is spot on.
0:16, why is there no singing here? it's a little empty without vocals.
when the singing comes in it gets much better, but again in the second "verse" part there's no singing, feels a bit empty again.
The bridge at 1:50 fits in perfectly, and the bridge after is great, like the small pause before it kicks back in, but maybe there could be more of a "wham" after the little break, if you get me? haha
All in all, it serves its purpose really well, also like the quote at the end haha
Old 01-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #10
Bostonrocks
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by \m/Gaz
Writing while listening

I like the intro, production sounds great. The guitar tone is spot on.
0:16, why is there no singing here? it's a little empty without vocals.
when the singing comes in it gets much better, but again in the second "verse" part there's no singing, feels a bit empty again.
The bridge at 1:50 fits in perfectly, and the bridge after is great, like the small pause before it kicks back in, but maybe there could be more of a "wham" after the little break, if you get me? haha
All in all, it serves its purpose really well, also like the quote at the end haha

Its Pre-Production, the verese vocals aren't written yet

yawn

Quote:
The end of an era
Old 01-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #11
BjarnedeGraaf
UG's bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushingmetal
Thanks for the review.
The riff that comes in at 2:20 was unexpected

I dont think so. I think the silence at around 2:31 was a bit unexpected for me. I felt like the drums signaled the chorus to come right behind it, but then the silence came and THEN it started.

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
BjarnedeGraaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #12
Bostonrocks
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BjarnedeGraaf
I dont think so. I think the silence at around 2:31 was a bit unexpected for me. I felt like the drums signaled the chorus to come right behind it, but then the silence came and THEN it started.

That was kind of the point, its supposed to be surprising! haha

yawn

Quote:
The end of an era

Rate This Thread: