Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-01-2013, 12:22 AM   #21
Flux'D
Plays a pitchfork

Can you post pictures of the wiring? I think the problem is a grounding loop somewhere, or the switch is wired incorrectly (or the tabs are bent).

I chased a hum in my Flying V for weeks, scratching my head on it. I let my EE friend check it out and he couldn't find it either. The problem ended up being the cap was touching where it shouldn't, causing a ridiculous hum that was as loud as the output of the guitar.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D : 02-01-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Flux'D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:55 AM   #22
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I'd try replacing the switch. They're always the first to go and they're almost always the culprit if you're not getting signal or you're getting "scratchy" signal from one of your pups.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:09 AM   #23
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I'll post pics of the wiring in just a second. The neck pup still isn't wired up, so keep that in mind. I de-soldered it earlier and haven't re-soldered it since. There was a lack of any output before I took it off, and it was soldered on well, so I'm pretty sure that wasn't the issue.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:14 AM   #24
mmolteratx
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
Well, in that case, the reading was .029k

Yea, that's way low. Should be 500k, +/- 20%. Though to be safe, also use the continuity function to check the switch.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:43 AM   #25
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Well, here are the pics (be prepared for giantness:

To test for continuity, where should my test points be? Going by the orientation in that picture, it didn't beep going from the top point to any of the other three, although the bottom left one didn't give a reading onscreen other than 1

Now, from the bottom middle to bottom left, it beeped, although there was no other comination that produced a beep.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:53 AM   #26
mmolteratx
UG God

The bottom three lugs are the ones you're interested in. Measure from the center to each outer lug for continuity with the switch in each position.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Old 02-01-2013, 02:09 AM   #27
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Well, when it was in the bridge position, it only beeped when the center and right lugs were connected

In the center position, it beeped when the center and each side were connected

In the neck position, it only beeped when the center and left lugs were connected.

Also, in case this makes a difference, it only beeps if the resistance is approximately 30ohms
Old 02-01-2013, 02:13 AM   #28
mmolteratx
UG God

Switch is good then. Try swapping the pot. Or you could even just solder the pickup directly to the switch or in place of the bridge pickup real quick to verify that it works.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Old 02-01-2013, 02:18 AM   #29
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I don't have any spare pots around, so I'll try swapping it for the bridge pup to see if it's working
Old 02-01-2013, 04:01 AM   #30
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I wired the pup up, and it's fine. I can't say the same for two of my fingers, though. My iron fell off of the table onto the power cable to a nearby heater, and in a flash of panic-induced brilliance, i tried to grab it to make sure nothing caught on fire, and burned the absolute f*** out of my index and middle fingers on my left hand

I went ahead and took the pot out while I was in there resoldering the bridge pup in. I don't use the neck pup much on this guitar, so for now, I'll just leave it until I can grab a new pot.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:04 AM   #31
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

I burned a hole in my brand new slacks one day at work. First time I had worn them. It melted the fabric but saved my leg.aside from that I haven't had any mishaps in a very long time. (Knock on wood)
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:07 AM   #32
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

either way it goes, i would resolder the grounding to the pot (b500kohm). that is a nasty looking solder joint.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:15 AM   #33
mmolteratx
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
I wired the pup up, and it's fine. I can't say the same for two of my fingers, though. My iron fell off of the table onto the power cable to a nearby heater, and in a flash of panic-induced brilliance, i tried to grab it to make sure nothing caught on fire, and burned the absolute f*** out of my index and middle fingers on my left hand

I went ahead and took the pot out while I was in there resoldering the bridge pup in. I don't use the neck pup much on this guitar, so for now, I'll just leave it until I can grab a new pot.

Been there, done that. It happens to pretty much everyone. Gotta train yourself to ignore your reflexes and let it drop, then pick it up. And make sure to set something on the floor in case it happens, so you don't burn the shit out of the carpet. Not that I've ever done that.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Old 02-01-2013, 04:32 AM   #34
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Trashed, that's the bridge pot, and I just cleaned it up. However, now I'm getting nothing from the bridge pup -_-

This is aggravating. I know the pickup is fine, I just tested it, so I'm assuming that that pot died too, unless completely removing the other pot would somehow do this.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #35
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I don't usually do this, but "bump"
Old 02-04-2013, 02:08 AM   #36
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

sorry to hear you still haven't gotten it figured out yet. pardon me for not being which pot, as i am unfamiliar with that guitar.

the more i look at the picture the more questionable things.

it wouldn't necessarily be cheap, but i would either:

a. desolder ever wire in and rewire as stock (take lots of pics, sometimes they can come in handy)

or (better yet) get new pots, switch and cap hell even jack (under $2) and see what that does for you. even if it isn't it isn't the solution, those parts are always useful to have around.

if what above is not working after everything i said. i would bring it in to a tech. it may be just voodoo, who knows.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:21 AM   #37
mmolteratx
UG God

Probably a short that developed when you rewired everything, though it is possible to kill a pot with heat. Just very difficult to do so. Grab your multimeter and check for continuity between ground and the hot lead of the pickup. If it beeps, try and find the short.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Old 02-04-2013, 03:59 AM   #38
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Okay, thanks guys.

I just wondered if having the bridge pot completely removed might have been the issue. I still have the wires hooked up to the jack so that when I get the new pot I can just wire it right in without much trouble, and I wasn't sure if having those wires loose in the cavity would matter. I think I might put all of the original stuff back in and see if that solves it. Worst case scenario, I've spent about 30 minutes tops doing something I enjoy

Also, in case this matters, the way it's wired, it's not like my Les Paul where if you have the volume of the neck pup on zero and switch to the middle position on the switch, there is silence. Instead, on the V, if the neck pup is on zero, the middle position will just be 100% bridge pup.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:30 AM   #39
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I fixed it. There was apparently just a weak spot in the hot wire. I opened up the cavity and was poking around, and I thought that I might take the bridge pot out to clean up the solder on it some more when I noticed that the hot wire was still soldered to the lug, but no longer attached to the rest of the pickup's wiring

Go figure, it something extremely simple. Needless to say, it was an easy fix, and it's working fine now, even with the other pot missing. I'm thinking I'm probably still going to replace all of the pots when I do the bridge one, and probably the treble cap, too.

What parts would you guys recommend as a replacements? I plan on sticking with 500K pots, and these ones are B500K Alpha pots. Would that make them Linear or Log pots? They're through the back, so I'll need long shaft, but I don't know what brand to go with. Also, I have no idea what to get for a treble cap.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #40
mmolteratx
UG God

Those are linear pots. Buy some CTS long shaft audio tapers. Dunno if Alpha makes long shafts, but if they do, that's fine as well. For your treble bleed, parallel a 680p cap with a 150k resistor across the volume pots.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Rate This Thread: