Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-13-2013, 03:22 AM   #1
Clarkinator

Fuzz Pedal?

Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a fuzz pedal. Here is the situation I'm in - I have a pedaltrain 2 pedalboard that is stocked to the brim with 10 pedals (including a wah) so space is very, very limited.

So two very common fuzzs I've been recommended are huge - especially the Big Muffs, as well as the Dunlap Fuzz Face.

So I discovered the Zvex Fuzz Factory, and it looks awesome - I've heard great things about the pedal and its really small and compact, I could probably fit it on the board (where as the Big Muff won't come close to fitting on my board).

Unfortunately, the Zvex is expensive. Does anyone have experience with these pedals, compared to one another? Is the Zvex giving me that much of an upgrade? Is it worth doubling the price of, say, a Big Muff to save space and get a better tone? Can anyone talk me into it (or out of it)?!

Just like some opinions from anyone who has experience with these pedals (or others - open to any and all suggestions). Cheers!
Clarkinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:23 AM   #2
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

What sort of fuzz sound do you want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:56 AM   #3
Clarkinator

You know, I'm not totally sure. I have an OD pedal that I use for more mild overdrive, and I use my amp's gain channel for normal distortion.

I'd like something that can really make the guitar squeal, more so than I get with the OD or gain channel on my amp. I envision using the fuzz for solos, when I really want the guitar scream and be heavier. So I guess I'd like to use this more for lead work.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:02 AM   #4
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Do you have any videos or examples of fuzz sounds you want to achieve? Still not 100% what you want.

If I can read in between the lines, I think you're after some kind of tone bender or muff. But it solely depends on your max budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:47 AM   #5
Tim the Rocker
I own a Cabriolet.

Step 1: Take the Wah and put in on the floor next to the pedaltrain - more space.
Step 2: Find/Earn/Steal 150$ and get a Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh Fuzz.
Step 3: Groove.
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
Tim the Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
Maidenheadsteve
I do the guitar good

Big muff with tone wicker is smaller than the pi. more expensive, but only by $10 or so, and has a closer sound to the pi in comparison to the little big muff.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #7
joe_k
stereo amp connaisseur

there are plenty of big muffs you can buy from other builders which are small but to be honest i don't think the big muff is that good for fuzzy cut through lead tones. you lose the mids and get lost in the mix.

i would say you want something more like a fuzz face or a tonebender. personally i think the zvex fuzz factory lacks balls but if you want to spend a little bit of money like that i would get a skreddy lunar module mini deluxe. Is much more usable than the fuzz factory and is brilliant for lead tones.

Last edited by joe_k : 01-13-2013 at 06:40 PM.
joe_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
Clarkinator

Thanks for the suggestions Joe - This would be more for leads and solos so yes, I def don't want my mids cut out. I've heard very mixed things about Muffs in general. Some people love em, others don't.

The Lunar Module looks really cool... bit pricey at $220. But I'm intrigued, going to listen to a few more samples via the videos and etc.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, and more are welcome!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
joe_k
stereo amp connaisseur

the big muff is my favourite of all fuzz sounds, just not for leads. sounds awesome for rhythm or if you are the only guitar player in your band.

for lead sounds a tonebender is my favourite. the lunar module is kind of based on a tonebender from memory but it has so much control it can do plenty of sounds. i have the skreddy screwdriver which is pretty similar but with less gain and it is brilliant.

joe_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:07 PM   #10
iwannabesedated
UG's King Sombra

Way Huge Swollen Pickle
iwannabesedated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #11
Clarkinator

Yeah, this will primarily be for leads and solos. My amp (Peavey Classic 50) has a pretty nice gain channel, and I use that and/or my Maxon Od9 for most rhythm stuff (if I'm not just using the amp cleanly).

I'm def going to look into all of the suggestions in this thread, I've gotten some great suggestions. Thanks everyone.

Rate This Thread: