Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-13-2013, 06:13 AM   #1
awesomealvin

How long does it take me to be decent at sweeping?

Hello,
I am learning a slow sweep that is around 64BPM. I am new to sweeping, and I am wondering how long it'll take me to be able to play the sweep in full speed. the sweep looks like this:
------17-13-----------------------------17-17-13----16----
--------------15---------------------15------------------------
------------------14-------------14----------------------------
----------------------15-----15--------------------------------
--------------------------17------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------

And also, how long will it also take me to be able to play 150bpm sweep?

thanks.
awesomealvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
Ringo86

Impossible question to answer. It all depends on how easy you learn things, how much you will train sweeppicking, how much you will train other things that will aid you with the sweeppicking and so on and so on.
Ringo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #3
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

If you're practising this sort of thing, make sure you do it in some kind of rhythm, like sextuplets. Otherwise it won't mean anything, musically.

Do you know what it is that you're sweeping there? if I said Dm arpeggio, would you know what I'm on about?

What I mentioned above, about sextuplets, do you know what they are?

How long? Music isn't a competition.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

When I decided to work on my sweeping for real, it took me about a week to get decent at sweeping (I was learning Afterlife solo by A7X).
But, eventually, you can never be good enough at anything, there's always better.

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
Mr.-Bungle
Mr. Bungle

Hint: Put a hair tie around the guitar neck to mute the strings a little. That's if you want the easy way out, but plenty of people do it when recording.

To answer your question though...
As long as it takes my friend. I was lucky and got it quick and good at 5-6 strings sweeps (Protest the hero - Sequoia throne was my first) pretty fast, but I do generally have problems with 2-4 stringers just because I don't practice or even use them often enough. To be honest the problem I find I have the most is just remembering the patterns if they are interchanging all the time. I have that problem with all music though, I have a horrible memory.

Last edited by Mr.-Bungle : 01-13-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Mr.-Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #6
ibrahimasood
Is cooler than you

well you are not awesome then are you? I'm joking!!!
If you are new to sweeping, why don't you star of with 3 string sweeping slowly, and then build the speed, then add 5 string sweeping?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #7
reincarnator

How long is a piece of string? It takes as long as it takes, don't try to rush it and don't be disheartened if you don't get it as fast as someone else.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
reincarnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
Carl6661
UG Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrahimasood
well you are not awesome then are you? I'm joking!!!
If you are new to sweeping, why don't you star of with 3 string sweeping slowly, and then build the speed, then add 5 string sweeping?

I don't think that's a brilliant way to approach it, personally. To me at least, that puts up a kind of mental barrier where you start telling yourself that bigger sweeps are harder.

These kind of problems are as much to do with you thinking where the limits of your abilities are, as much as they are any technique or amount of practicing. If you start thinking that something like a 5 string sweep is harder than a 3 string sweep, you have already introduced some difficulties with bigger sweeps before you've even attempted them. If you think something is difficult, you'll be making it a lot harder than it needs to be. Sure, it might not be easy to begin with, but these things don't need making any more difficult. I hope that makes sense, I'm not very good at wording things sometimes.

If I could offer any advice, it would just be relax. Like someone has already said, music isn't a competition - Don't fall into the trap of wanting to play faster than everyone else, or rushing yourself to play fast. I know it's the last thing you want to hear, TS, but just take it slowly and don't rush yourself - there is no magical technique or exercise that anyone can give you that will help. Keep focused on it, and eventually you will get there.

I don't like Avenged Sevenfold anymore. I was 14 when I joined & the 6661 in the username seemed a great idea at the time. Sigh.
Carl6661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
Hooker84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo86
Impossible question to answer. It all depends on how easy you learn things, how much you will train sweeppicking, how much you will train other things that will aid you with the sweeppicking and so on and so on.

+1
Old 01-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
Geldin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.-Bungle
Hint: Put a hair tie around the guitar neck to mute the strings a little. That's if you want the easy way out, but plenty of people do it when recording.

Don't do this when you're learning the technique. It'll keep you from learning proper muting. Most artists who use sweep picking with a lot of gain will use a hair tie or something similar in studio, but that's not because they can't sweep without it (more because it cuts down the risk of screwing up a perfect take with one off note)

Quote:
To answer your question though...
As long as it takes my friend. I was lucky and got it quick and good at 5-6 strings sweeps.

This is actually the best way to learn sweeping, in my opinion. Learning sweeping with larger arpeggios (5-6 strings as opposed to 3-4 string patterns) will give you more practice on the sweeping motion, which is where people get sloppy. The turn around at the top and bottom of each arpeggio is usually hammered on or pulled off, so a longer arpeggio gives you more sweeping action, which in turn gives you more practice with muting.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #11
AnthonyatSNB
UG Newbie

It depends on your technical skill, playing ability, and your practice habits. That said, either way, it will take you days or weeks to truly learn it. You won't know you've truly learned it until you can confidently run through it even if it's been hours, days, or weeks since you've practiced.

So go with the flow, keep at it, and be ready to enjoy that amazing, out of the blue, I've got this down feeling soon
Old 01-14-2013, 01:26 AM   #12
awesomealvin

Ok, thanks guys, foolish of me :P.

I don't know what Dm arpeggio is, as said by mdc. Neither as what a sextuplet is.

I can do 3 strings really good, I just can't do 4-6. I can't keep both hands in sync.
But yeah, i know, practice.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:34 AM   #13
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNameOfNoone
When I decided to work on my sweeping for real, it took me about a week to get decent at sweeping (I was learning Afterlife solo by A7X).
But, eventually, you can never be good enough at anything, there's always better.

Impossible to get "decent" after a week of those sweeps. I'm positive they're rolls and playing rolls CLEAN is significantly harder than a standard shape like the one OP showed.

Either you've been playing guitar a long long time to be able to play those sweeps clean after a week or you just weren't playing them clean.

I have a huge respect for anyone who can play high speed rolls. It's ****ing hard.

On topic of TS's question though, it's not a question you can answer. It all depends on the time and effort you put in. It's not like grinding your hero to a certain level in world of warcraft. You can't estimate how long it's gonna take.
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112

Last edited by vayne92 : 01-14-2013 at 05:35 AM.
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #14
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomealvin
I don't know what Dm arpeggio is, as said by mdc. Neither as what a sextuplet is.

You should learn, if you ask me knowing what both of those are is much more important than learning to sweep is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #15
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Ok, thanks guys, foolish of me :P.

I can do 3 strings really good, I just can't do 4-6. I can't keep both hands in sync.
But yeah, i know, practice.

Impression received after reading this; Amount of fucks given by TS = 0
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #16
Geldin

Quote:

If you don't know what an arpeggio or sextuplet is, I recommend you shelf sweeping for a while. Learn about basic chord structure and note groupings, as those will serve you a lot better than any facility of technique.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #17
Rotschefeller

Just depends on how much you practice and how quickly you learn (everyone is different). Just don't give up and you'll get it!
Rotschefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #18
awesomealvin

I can finally do that sweep
Old 01-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #19
dietermoreno

how long does it take to be decent at sweeping?: as long as it takes you
dietermoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #20
SP1N3SPL1TT3R

It's impossible for anyone to judge it will take you, to improve. Jazz III picks with improve your sweep picking.
SP1N3SPL1TT3R is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: