Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-13-2013, 06:53 AM   #1
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar
 
Boonnoo666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
100w cab - Will it be okay with a 50w cab?

Hey guys, I'm in an eBay auction for an 100w tube head and was wondering: Would it be okay to plug it into a Blackstar/Orange 1x12 50w/1x8 20w cab? I've heard about Tube amps blowing when not plugged into Cabs, but will this plug in okay?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by treborillusion
Low end Epiphone = fire wood.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website

Last edited by Boonnoo666 : 01-13-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Boonnoo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:58 AM   #2
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser
 
Wesbanez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: East Anglia, UK
Can you clear up your question a little? Do you mean you have a Blackstar 1x12 cab @ 50w AND an Orange 1x8 at 20w (no idea what the hell that cab is...).

Generally you'll be fine as long as you match the ohms of your heads ouput to your cab, just don't try cranking a 100w head through a 20w cabinet
Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar
 
Boonnoo666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesbanez
Can you clear up your question a little? Do you mean you have a Blackstar 1x12 cab @ 50w AND an Orange 1x8 at 20w (no idea what the hell that cab is...).

Generally you'll be fine as long as you match the ohms of your heads ouput to your cab, just don't try cranking a 100w head through a 20w cabinet

I mean I might buy either:
Blackstar 1x12 50w
Orange 1x8
I just need to know if they will be ok with the 100w with low volume.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by treborillusion
Low end Epiphone = fire wood.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website
Boonnoo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
Robbgnarly
Registered User
 
Robbgnarly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NSB, FL
Go for the highest wattage you can afford. either will be scetchy if you play with any kind of volume.
__________________
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser
 
Wesbanez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: East Anglia, UK
That makes no sense at all, why would you buy a 100w head then look at underated (power wise) cabs?!

Do yourself a favour and look at the Harley Benton cabs on Thomann.de
Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
SHaun Steel
Registered User
 
SHaun Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesbanez
That makes no sense at all, why would you buy a 100w head then look at underated (power wise) cabs?!

Do yourself a favour and look at the Harley Benton cabs on Thomann.de



+1 listen to this man.
SHaun Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
Shornifier
Shornifier
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Earthing
Dude. Never risk plugging into lower wattage, let alone any different wattage. Play safe.
__________________
PLAY WITH A METRONOME
Shornifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Go for the highest wattage you can afford. either will be scetchy if you play with any kind of volume.


+1

if you're playing at bedroom practice levels then you'll probably be fine. but as wezbanez says, you'll be severely limiting your options, and you'll never know exactly how high you can turn it while still being safe.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurflames
I had a Blackstar. I felt like I was lied to by Chappers, that fat ****.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar
 
Boonnoo666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesbanez
That makes no sense at all, why would you buy a 100w head then look at underated (power wise) cabs?!

Do yourself a favour and look at the Harley Benton cabs on Thomann.de


Because I have F-all space for 4x12s. I would get one but my Gear's all in the attic. I can't get a 4x12 up the ladder
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by treborillusion
Low end Epiphone = fire wood.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website
Boonnoo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #10
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
^ oh ok. Why not just get a decent cheap plyqood 1x12 (e.g. the vht one on thomann is ~80, or the jet city one is a similar price) and then swap the speaker? there are several higher wattage speakers available. whether they sound the way you want might be the thing, but it is doable, and safer than going too low on the wattage. Not to mention, those stock speakers in the cabs you were looking at are hardly likely to be much good, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shornifier
Dude. Never risk plugging into lower wattage, let alone any different wattage. Play safe.


wut
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurflames
I had a Blackstar. I felt like I was lied to by Chappers, that fat ****.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #11
Robbgnarly
Registered User
 
Robbgnarly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NSB, FL
get a 1x12 or 2x12 with as close to 100 watt rating as you can. The Celestion G12T100 would be fine in a 1x12.
__________________
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #12
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar
 
Boonnoo666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
^ oh ok. Why not just get a decent cheap plyqood 1x12 (e.g. the vht one on thomann is ~80, or the jet city one is a similar price) and then swap the speaker? there are several higher wattage speakers available. whether they sound the way you want might be the thing, but it is doable, and safer than going too low on the wattage. Not to mention, those stock speakers in the cabs you were looking at are hardly likely to be much good, either.



wut

Thanks, I've actually seen a cheap 1x12 on Thomann! I'll change out the speakers for Robbgnarly's suggestion
Edit: I might even build my own custom
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by treborillusion
Low end Epiphone = fire wood.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website

Last edited by Boonnoo666 : 01-13-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Boonnoo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #13
Robbgnarly
Registered User
 
Robbgnarly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NSB, FL
I know they are probably a bit more price in EU, but Eminence speakers tend to be rated at a higher wattage than a lot of speakers.

Celestion makes several speakers that are 100watt rating G12T100, K-100
__________________
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #14
jimbob78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Essex
Get a nice open back 2x12 with V30's. Versatile, light and good for 150w. Blackstar Artisan cab is quite cheap. Look around for deals.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.


jimbob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #15
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar
 
Boonnoo666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Actually, I might just save for an Avatar 2x12.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by treborillusion
Low end Epiphone = fire wood.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website
Boonnoo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #16
Robbgnarly
Registered User
 
Robbgnarly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NSB, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonnoo666
Actually, I might just save for an Avatar 2x12.

Since yopu not in the USA that would be very expensive.
Look at the Harley Benton 2x12 vintage cab. They are cheap on Thomann and it is loaded with Celestion V30 speakers
__________________
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #17
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar
 
Boonnoo666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Since yopu not in the USA that would be very expensive.
Look at the Harley Benton 2x12 vintage cab. They are cheap on Thomann and it is loaded with Celestion V30 speakers

Oh yeah. That's a good idea, thanks Robb
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by treborillusion
Low end Epiphone = fire wood.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website
Boonnoo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #18
Robbgnarly
Registered User
 
Robbgnarly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NSB, FL
There is Roadkill cabs in the UK which are very similar to what Avatar does with customizing you may want to check them out aswell.
__________________
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #19
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonnoo666
Thanks, I've actually seen a cheap 1x12 on Thomann! I'll change out the speakers for Robbgnarly's suggestion
Edit: I might even build my own custom


which one is it? you really want to make sure it's plywood (i'm guessing it's the harley benton one you're looking at, and i don't think it is... it's worth the extra 20 for ply, IMO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I know they are probably a bit more price in EU, but Eminence speakers tend to be rated at a higher wattage than a lot of speakers.


that's because they overrate them

but yeah surprisingly eminences are actually pretty good value in europe (or in the UK, anyway). the legends are about as cheap as decent speakers get over here.

but if you're getting a 2x12 and would like v30s you're not gonna beat the harley benton robbgnarly mentioned. the loaded cab is barely more than two v30s at retail prices.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurflames
I had a Blackstar. I felt like I was lied to by Chappers, that fat ****.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #20
Robbgnarly
Registered User
 
Robbgnarly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NSB, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
That's because they overrate them

but yeah surprisingly eminences are actually pretty good value in europe (or in the UK, anyway). the legends are about as cheap as decent speakers get over here.

but if you're getting a 2x12 and would like v30s you're not gonna beat the harley benton robbgnarly mentioned. the loaded cab is barely more than two v30s at retail prices.

why do you treat me so bad Dave
__________________
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:59 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.