Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
vivalaheerey

C4C Colours - Days In Juno

Nolly posted this band and a competition around a month ago. I'm late on the mixing due to problems with techno but I did it anyways as I thought it was good practice. First time I've mixed in a long time not using presets.

Let me know what you think could be improved and what you think of the overall mix and I'll comment back on yours.
ISP Decimator
MXR 10-band EQ
Boss OS-2
vivalaheerey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
aaron aardvark

Where's the song?
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
vivalaheerey

ISP Decimator
MXR 10-band EQ
Boss OS-2
Old 01-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
Bostonrocks
UG God

Hey Dude! Critting while I listen

Love the intro! Sounds Huge! You need to either compress more and turn the gain down or just turn the gain down, because it is definitely clipping

The Vocals are spot on. The Guitars sound great. I'm not a huge fan of the snare, but your cymbals sound nice, I think they should come up a touch.

As far as structure and dynamics go it is beautiful, I really like this song, very much my kind of genre.

Quick thought on the kick, I think you're getting a bit too much "whoof" Just a thought try cutting out some more like 250-500 in that area and see what happens
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Bostonrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
vivalaheerey

yeahhh clips because of a bass drop i put in. on the kick i've notched that frequency up a lot but it became unpleasant for some reason. onces i've gather all the crit i can, i'll add all the changes when possible, probably need to take a like bass outta the kick too.

Cheers buddy, you can have a bash at mixing this song too if you look nolly up on soundcloud, he's posted his mix and a link where you can download the raw's from
ISP Decimator
MXR 10-band EQ
Boss OS-2
Old 01-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
Gregjr22

hey man,

This song is right up my alley. Love the intro and bridge, overall a very well structured solid song. Guitar tone sounds great! What are you using to record guitar? I think the mix sounds pretty good, i agree with the snare, maybe a little crispier or snappier.. not sure of the word im looking for lol. I think the kick sounds good and I like the cymbals as well. Vocals are awesome. Well done dude! I'd love to hear more!
Gregjr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
Bostonrocks
UG God

just listened some more. add some more compression on the snare. try like 6:1 with a fast attack (no faster than like 10ms) and a middle release (like 300ish) shoot for a like 8db of compression and then cut out the frequencies below like 80 hz add in a little 7k (2 or 3 db) cut some middle out and see what that does.
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Bostonrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
vivalaheerey

Yeah I didn't record them, nolly did. Superior drummer for drums and axe fx on the guitars, he left the bass ass a di. Cheers buddy ill give it a bash when I can
ISP Decimator
MXR 10-band EQ
Boss OS-2
Old 01-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #9
salamander121
Drummer

Mix is more or less good man - a touch too loud maybe as I'm getting a real harshness coming through on the guitar when it collides with the kick drum. This does as you say though give it a 'heavier' feel but if you'd rein back just a tad it would sound perfect pretty much. The 'chorus' vocal near the end feels a touch too loud above everything else but overall I would say it's a good mix for this genre.

I wasn't aware of this competition but the song itself is pretty cool too. Gonna have to look it up haha. But anyway, if you have a spare second, mind giving my song a listen?:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1581826

My solo stuff: Finlay Cable (Soundcloud)
salamander121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
KevinFreund
UG Newbie

I really like the song man. Really energetic but that clipping really gets to me. The vocal effect you use in the beginning is cool and the harmonies are tight. The melody is good. The song breaks in good spots. I like it man good job.

c4c? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1583034

Thanks, Kevin
KevinFreund is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: