Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
Chronic-Headach

Pick preferences?

I've always preferred a thicker pck for my electric guitar, but recently discovered that its easier to pay acoustic with a thinner pick. Can't remember the mm of them at the moment though.

How bout you?
Chronic-Headach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
racertj5
Wannabe Guitar God

I find sometimes that not only does what I am playing change the pick i use but sometimes it just seems to change depending on the day.
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
racertj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
StrykVladzimsky
ESP through Potato

I play with Jazz III's, Ultex Sharp 1.40's, and Jazz III XL's. I feel like they all give a different tone, but I'll get used to one, and then use it for a week or two then go back to another. I love the Jazz III's but I can't get full pickslides with 'em. On the other hand, they make your alternate picking better subconsciously.

Ultex's are great except for the lack of grip, I think I'll just put some hockey tape on one side soon though. I can get a real sharp attack with them and they last forever. The XL's are pretty much just like paddle sized Jazz's

Anyway, those are my 2 cents.

StrykVladzimsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
Most_Triumphant
is being Excellent!

Dunlop Tortex Yellows for electric.
The red ones for acoustic.

Like The Who? http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/thewhoclub/
Most_Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

At home I play a lot of lead and rhythm and use thick Fender picks. I've occasionally used thin Fenders for playing rhythm, but really prefer the heavier picks. I also have some Jazz III and felt picks for playing jazz. When I'm playing lead guitar with my group, it's nothing but heavy picks for me.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
CorrosionMedia
Almost Sane

I always use Tortex .60s, though I just got a pick punch for christmas, so it's interesting experimenting with new materials and gauges.
CorrosionMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Bad Kharmel

Jazz III's for about everything, I really don't like changing to different picks, it feels unnatural
Bad Kharmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:19 PM   #8
rabbittroopsux

pointed ultex jazz iiis, with that annoying, raised tex filed down. ultex is harder and stiffer than nylon and tortex, and they dont wear down or bend.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:31 PM   #9
AcidParadox

I've recently started using Dunlop Tortex Yellows for electric. I tend to fingerpick or use 1mm Dunlop Nylons on acoustic. The black, super grippy ones.
AcidParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:34 PM   #10
Kenjisan231
The Kevin Baconater's

I only use Ultex now because I like the feel of them a lot. I found one in a variety pack one day and I really like the way it sounded coming off the strings, if that makes sense. For acoustic or lighter songs, I use Ultex .60. If its something heavier or if it requires faster picking I use Ultex Sharp .73 or .90

I have some Ultex 1.14, but I have a hard time controlling thicker picks sometimes.
Kenjisan231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:43 PM   #11
johnyere

i use the yellow tortex as well. i find that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
johnyere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:48 AM   #12
LiquidSkies

Dunlop Jazz III's for playing, usually...other picks for recording. e.g. a thin pick gives a completely different strumming sound etc., so it depends on what I think fits.
I loved the pick I got from a Stevie Salas live, it's a Dunlop but I'm not sure what one (custom picks that I never saw anywhere :/ ), that was great for funk.
LiquidSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #13
RecnepsDaGreat

I have honestly never paid any attention to the pick thickness that I use. It's the first pick i can find. I lose those things so easily!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #14
TheProtoTYPE
Banned

jazz III for both electric and acoustic
TheProtoTYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #15
GoldenGuitar

Jazz III Red Nylon, but recently I've been digging the Jazz III Ultex 2.0.
GoldenGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #16
Bikewer

Some years back, Guitar Player magazine put up a photo of the picks from 100 top players. Wildly different. There were a lot of "standard" type picks, but also everything else you can think of, and some you can't.... John McLaughlin used to use a thick chunk of lucite plastic...

Most people that use picks tend to experiment till they find something they like... They are mostly pretty cheap. (you can pay 30 bucks for certain high-end jobs)

I personally have stuck with the Dunlop nylon .88 mm jobs for many years. I do mostly bluegrass-type flatpicking on both guitar and mandolin. These are stiff enough for single-note work, slick enough to allow rapid boom-chicka-boom strumming, wear like iron, and are dead cheap. Perfect for me.

Thicker, chunkier picks tend to provide a bit smoother, warmer sound... Often favored by jazz players.
Thinner, sharper picks are often favored by pure strummers.
We know a guy who used to cut his "picks" out of thin nylon-sheet material that was so floppy you could not play single notes at all. He never did though, just straight up-and-down strumming. Worked for him.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #17
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

Ultexs are pretty good but like others have said, the lack of grip is crap, especially if you're getting sweaty.

I prefer Jazz 3 Max grip, made from carbon fibre. Great tone, nice sharp attack and most importantly, great grip.

I use those for everything except acoustic strumming.
Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #18
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Jazz III & II (the red ones?) for electrics, dunlop tortex (whatever thickness I have laying around) for acoustics, tho I barely play acoustic.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #19
SP1N3SPL1TT3R

I haven't touch a grandpa guitar in years, but used to use Dunlop Sharp Tortex 1.35s. I just got an assorted pack of V-Picks, and they're absolutely amazing. I highly recommend them. I expected them to have a clangy tone, but they sound awesome.
SP1N3SPL1TT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:04 PM   #20
Ruark

I've always like Dunlop Gels, medium. They often have a little burr or something on the edge, so I sort of strop them on my jeans to polish the edge a bit and make it slicker. I find the mediums have enough stiffness to really push a note when you want to, but it still has some give, and they're smooth enough to slide over the strings easily if you turn it slightly sideways. It also sticks to your fingers surprisingly well.
Yamaha YPG225
Yamaha FG720S
Peavey Special 212
Vox Cambridge 15
DR Pure Blues .010s, Dunlop Gel Heavys
Ruark is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: