Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
-Retro-

The "I Had A Shitty Band Experience" Thread!

Welcome to the "I Had A Shitty Band Experience" Thread!

I've seen threads that have stories about horrible experiences from being in a band before, but I thought it would be kinda cool to have one thread unified through a long line of stories about being in a band/bands. Think you've met the biggest dick in the world and their in your band? What's that, you say? He ISN'T Axl Rose either? Post it here.

Here's an example story. The first band I was in, intended to be a rock band, was with a friend who was on lead guitar. He was invited by the lead singer and her bassist, also female. I got invited to drum to fill in until we found a permanent drummer, and from there I'd move to rhythm guitar.

Not too far in, the lead singer decides that half of our set list will be acoustic covers of her favorite pop songs, all by herself. I mean, what the hell?! We flipped. Overtime she developed into a huge bitch and would even just stop singing at times and say, "You guys need to pull your own weight. You all suck." So the next day, I come in with about three songs I wrote and she ultimately decided that she wants to only cover pop music, and never write music.

I quit the next day as did my friend. She still hates me to this day.

So, what's your shitty band experience?

Last edited by -Retro- : 01-13-2013 at 06:08 PM.
-Retro- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
LostLegion
resurrected

Not being in one

LostLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
WCPhils
UG Addict

Not being in one
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
-Retro-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostLegion
Not being in one

I feel ya. With all the stuff I've written in the past year, I am dying to get a band together, but I only know guitarists. Everybody's into making pop punk bands too, which doesn't help me much.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
StopReadingThis
Mr. Waaayyyyne

Not being in one

But I will always find a way to survive
StopReadingThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
Elderer
UG Member

^ lel
Elderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
Joshua Garcia
Santa Cat

Location: In space floating on a peanut butter and space jelly sandwich
A band huh? I have one of those experiences:
show

Last edited by Joshua Garcia : 01-13-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Joshua Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
Burgery
i cant remember

id like to rant about the drummer from a previous band, but i feel like ive done it so many times everyone on ug must know the story
Burgery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
-Retro-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgery
id like to rant about the drummer from a previous band, but i feel like ive done it so many times everyone on ug must know the story

Go for it!
Old 01-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Probably joining a band, driving over half an hour to get to practice only to sit around and forsake practicing for playing video games. I gave up trying to play with them and quit.

I didnt even bother trying to bring any songs considering the writing was already on the wall

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #11
whywefight
I need loooooooo-

Jesus christ guyz, even I'm in a band.
whywefight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #12
-Retro-

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4T3BR33D3R
Probably joining a band, driving over half an hour to get to practice only to sit around and forsake practicing for playing video games. I gave up trying to play with them and quit.

I didnt even bother trying to bring any songs considering the writing was already on the wall

I drove over 45 minutes at one point so that we could practice with this kid who REALLY wanted to be in a band. He played us a solo from some Avenged Sevenfold song and he was really good.

Then we asked him to play a chord progression and he was like, "...Wha?"

Turns out, he played Avenged Sevenfold and nothing but.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #13
Most_Triumphant
is being Excellent!

My bassist is always working, and we don't have the best voices. That's about it.
Most_Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #14
baf250

Was in a band with one of my best buddies, who apparently turns into an egomaniac anytime he picks up the guitar. He would instantly solo during any musical break, and because of his lack of musical knowledge he was often out of key. We asked him to chill out on the solos, and he did for a while. Then he took it to the stage, and it was just a total disaster.

He would often become unsatisfied with his tone and play through his Marshall MG100HDFX with his dunlop crybaby cocked. It was the most horrid, shrill tone I have ever heard in my life, but he thought it was "balls". Whenever he was out of tune, he would flip out and refuse to tune up. And he also refused to replace his strings until each individual one snapped. So we often ended practice early because he wouldn't string up.

Needless to say, the band didn't even last the whole summer. We tried working it out, but it just didn't happen. After kicking him out, he didn't talk to us for months. We were finally picking up speed too, but this guy needed a serious attitude adjustment.
baf250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #15
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Retro-
I drove over 45 minutes at one point so that we could practice with this kid who REALLY wanted to be in a band. He played us a solo from some Avenged Sevenfold song and he was really good.

Then we asked him to play a chord progression and he was like, "...Wha?"

Turns out, he played Avenged Sevenfold and nothing but.

At least he could play something. I can't say the same thing about the other guitar player I was jamming with in that band. He couldn't even play his own songs.

The only reason I lasted a month was because I wanted to bone the singer.

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #16
pwnadgebunny

i was in a band with this kid i knew from school almost 3 years ago. we originally had this other rhythm guitarist but he couldn't remember how to play anytthing so he was replaced by this emo guy who listened to nothing but coheed and cambria and wanted to literally **** claudio sanchez. the drummer never showed up to our 3 practices, and all we did was play guitar hero.

She's so pretty in her casts
The prettiest thing I've ever seen
I only get to hold her when she's injured
I only get to kiss her where she's sore
pwnadgebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #17
whywefight
I need loooooooo-

Quote:
Originally Posted by baf250
Was in a band with one of my best buddies, who apparently turns into an egomaniac anytime he picks up the guitar. He would instantly solo during any musical break, and because of his lack of musical knowledge he was often out of key. We asked him to chill out on the solos, and he did for a while. Then he took it to the stage, and it was just a total disaster.

He would often become unsatisfied with his tone and play through his Marshall MG100HDFX with his dunlop crybaby cocked. It was the most horrid, shrill tone I have ever heard in my life, but he thought it was "balls". Whenever he was out of tune, he would flip out and refuse to tune up. And he also refused to replace his strings until each individual one snapped. So we often ended practice early because he wouldn't string up.

Needless to say, the band didn't even last the whole summer. We tried working it out, but it just didn't happen. After kicking him out, he didn't talk to us for months. We were finally picking up speed too, but this guy needed a serious attitude adjustment.

I knew a guy like this. He's pretty cool now. Once, when I was a total noob at guitar, I scooped my mids because Metallica did it, and it sounded like shit, and the guy I knew like this called me out on it. Then the next day I was like 'holy shit, this tone does suck dick'.

The guy I knew than proceeded to turn the treble on his amp all the way up like a month later so his pinch harmonics would go through the amp (trying to get the same shit tone dime had) so I was basically reduced to the role of keeping the eq of our guitars at a managable level.

Last edited by whywefight : 01-13-2013 at 06:32 PM.
whywefight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #18
Most_Triumphant
is being Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4T3BR33D3R
The only reason I lasted a month was because I wanted to bone the singer.

And did you?
Most_Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #19
-Retro-

Quote:
Originally Posted by baf250

Oh man...why is this so funny? I've met people who try and convince me that they've invented a new alternative tuning to their guitar. They then would proceed to tune the strings so low that there was no distinct note to each string, as if they were changing them. They got a sound so unable to register in my ears that I was just laughing that they actually were trying to play songs with it.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #20
Crimson.King

I played bass in a prog rock band in the late 70's. We were together exactly 11 months to the day, we practiced 5 nights a week, got really tight and usually hung out with each other on off nights, bought some studio time & put together a good demo, played a few showcase gigs (we'd rent the hall) and parties, had a good mix of originals and King Crimson covers. It felt like we were getting somewhere, then one day, the drummer comes up to me and says he's hooked up with his old high school girlfriend and isn't it great etc... Turns out he was lying to me and had actually hooked up with the guitarists wife. Over Christmas '78 the whole thing blows up after the guitarist found a love note to his wife that he didn't write. The guitarist moved to another state and we've remained close friends the past 30+ years. I tried playing in bands after this but it never felt the same. Eventually I learned how to play keyboards & guitar and started doing the '1 man band' thing playing/recording my own stuff.
Crimson.King is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: