User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #41
tukk04
UG's Neil Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsnroses#1
One week before the show, however, the Rhythm guitarist decides we're going to do a totally different second song (Cemetery Gates) and that he was going to do the solos. The drummer, for whatever reason, had his back. I, seeing that there was no way we could perfect the song in a month let alone a week, just left.

A lot of times, even though it may be hard to do, leaving a band is the best option. If a band doesn't click within the first couple months or so, it's probably not going to.

Soundcloud
tukk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #42
Wrst_Plyr_Evr
UG's resident ska kid

I have a good one for you guys.

I was in a ska band that was borderline famous down in LA. We were getting asked to play Whiskey A Go-Go and the Roxy and places like that. Not headlining gigs, but still, the venues were asking us to play.

My drummer and I were pretty good friends. Back in August we decided to get an apartment together. In late September we were going to play our biggest show at the Whiskey with The Untouchables, a pretty big ska band from the 80's. We were opening for them. Like, we played our set, then The Untouchables played. LA has an up-and-coming ska scene and the show was reported to be sold out.

The night, well morning as it was about 12:30 in the morning, my drummer told everyone that I took between $300-$700 from our band fund that we kept in the apartment. Everyone in the band turned on me, so I had no friends. I was kicked out of my apartment and now I owe Whiskey $780.

The silver lining is that everyone that was in the band came around after my drummer decided to cut ties with everyone. So now I at least have my friends back and, equally as important, a band again.

You think you know some people.
Wrst_Plyr_Evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #43
-Retro-

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
So, record everything yourself. Get yourself into the recording forums here on UG. Then, check out the stickies. You can easily get a good starting recording setup for a couple hundred. Learn basic mixing and record all your songs. Maybe create a bandcamp or a myspace (new myspace is all music-based, fyi) or whatever.

Quite honestly, I would love to get into recording my own stuff. I just have no knowledge of it whatsoever. Thanks though man, I will definitely check this out.
-Retro- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #44
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Retro-
Quite honestly, I would love to get into recording my own stuff. I just have no knowledge of it whatsoever. Thanks though man, I will definitely check this out.

I have very little knowledge of it either. But you can gain that knowledge; the recording forum is a great place to start.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #45
tukk04
UG's Neil Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
I have very little knowledge of it either. But you can gain that knowledge; the recording forum is a great place to start.

If you haven't heard of Tweakheads lab, he has a lot of good info, even though some is a little dated.

Sorry I meant to quote the other guy but if you would like a good read feel welcome to, sam.

Soundcloud
Old 01-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #46
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by tukk04
If you haven't heard of Tweakheads lab, he has a lot of good info, even though some is a little dated.

Sorry I meant to quote the other guy but if you would like a good read feel welcome to, sam.

Hell, why not? Retro can look it up too. Thanks for the advice, man.

Anyway, my one band experience was basically me and two buddies in high school. My one buddy owned a bass and an acoustic guitar. He couldn't really play bass worth shit (because he wanted to be a rhythm guitarist) and his guitar technique was terrible because he always played his acoustic like it was an electric and picked incredibly hard, etc. The drummer was good, but he was kind of a jerk sometimes. Now, I wasn't very good either at the time, but I was the only one who really felt like doing serious stuff. Mostly, we got together and jammed to Modest Mouse or to Metallica songs. Or whatever. Occasionally, me and the other guitarist actually wrote original riffs. Although, usually, he wrote a riff, and I turn it into a song or a verse part or whatever. We never did anything with our work though.
But I kept all of the stuff I wrote (because hell, I fucking wrote it). I've now revised it all like a hundred times and plan to self-record some of it.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 01-13-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #47
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

Driving out of town for unpaid gigs
Walking the streets (in the cold) until 3AM for no reason (all bars are closed)
Paying good money for nice rehearsal space then having to endure multiple smoke breaks (in the cold)
The person who insists on being the frontman but has the least passion/dedication and doesn't learn songs
The singer who can't sing, let alone speak passable English (the rest of the band's language)
Fat guy farting into the microphone (had to throw it out)
Vehicles breaking down at night and waiting hours (in the cold) to find out no towtruck drivers are available in the biggest city in the state
Any time I played in a metalcore band

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #48
AcidParadox

I've haven't had much band experience, but I do remember when I was forced to start a band in General Music class for a project. It was three other girls. We had to pick a song and perform it in front of the entire class, lipsyncing was optional, but we got more points if we played actual instruments. Thankfully, we all knew how to play an instrument of some kind. I was strapped down with playing the drums, since I was the only one in the group who knew how to play.

We all looked through what kind of music we listened to, and agreed to play Daylight by Matt & Kim. No one sang, one guitarist played the chord progression while the other guitarist and key player played the keyboard melody. I gave everyone a copy of the song, and they all learned their parts. Well, the keyboardist revealed, on the day of the performance, that she actually had no idea how to play. And that she wanted to perform a different song.

What song? Well, she wanted to play a song by the R&B group TLC, from their album CrazySexyCool. Now, I grew up with my mom listening to them, but it was sort of a bitch move to spring this on us on the day that we were slated to perform. It was time for us to get up, and instead of playing, she stood there like a dumbass and complained, loudly, throughout the entire song, that my drumset was too loud. I wanted to strangle her. We got a decent grade, but our teacher revealed that it was not as good as we would've gotten had all the band members cooperated.
AcidParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #49
TheFly_1990
UG's Bearded Avenger

My last band sacked me while I was in hospital, and made off with my Marshall Mode 4, now I'm a loose cannon guitarist with a thirst for revenge

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
TheFly_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #50
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Only real bad experience was that our guitarist was a bit of a jerk. Would say he wanted you to write a song and then wouldn't pay attention when you tried to teach him it. Would book gigs half way up the UK so we'd have to drive for 4 hours just to get there, wasn't the worlds BEST guitarist, that kinda thing. Normal stuff. Nice guy in every other way.

The worst part of it was that we had to call it quits cuz members just couldn't deal with the attitude any more. We were getting support slots with Don Broco (just prior to them blowing up here in the UK.) We did pretty well for our selves considering we were only together for 13 months.

The Site I Write For / My Soundcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan311
Proving yet again that you consistently have the worst taste on this forum.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #51
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFly_1990
My last band sacked me while I was in hospital, and made off with my Marshall Mode 4, now I'm a loose cannon guitarist with a thirst for revenge

Hey, at least you have a rectifier now

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #52
TheFly_1990
UG's Bearded Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4T3BR33D3R
Hey, at least you have a rectifier now

I always had a rectifier, it's just a case of I loved having the Mode 4 as a studio amp

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
TheFly_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #53
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

I have a story.

This was about a year ago. I got asked to play in a band as a replacement guitarist. Things went well for a few months and then for no readily apparent reason I got kicked out. The other guitarist in the band was a total douchebag though.
LTD AW-7 (Dimarzio D-Activator 7s, Hipshot Bridge)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #54
-Retro-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidParadox
It was time for us to get up, and instead of playing, she stood there like a dumbass and complained, loudly, throughout the entire song, that my drumset was too loud.

Reminds me of the lead singer in my band. She would complain all the time that everything was so loud. Then I turned our 100w Fender combo amp to 10 and just strummed one power chord.
-Retro- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #55
Black Mustangs

Well in my high school band we had 3 guys (including me) who didn't take ourselves very seriously and the drummer was uber serious about everything, must have been hell for him, he wanted to book gigs and whatnot and we just sat around in his garage, drinking and playing early Metallica stuff as loud as we could.

Now though, I'm in a metalcore band with a another guitar player who comes from "real" metal like me and three scene kids.... I do most of the writing, but it's annoying when we put together a complex instrumental section or whatever and the other guys are like, "Nah bro, don't wanna learn all that, just replace it with a really br00tal breakdown"
Black Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #56
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Not being in one
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #57
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mustangs
Now though, I'm in a metalcore band with a another guitar player who comes from "real" metal like me and three scene kids.... I do most of the writing, but it's annoying when we put together a complex instrumental section or whatever and the other guys are like, "Nah bro, don't wanna learn all that, just replace it with a really br00tal breakdown"

So why not quit? Fuck idiots who prefer breakdowns over actual complex instrumental passages.

Bandcamp

Old 01-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #58
tukk04
UG's Neil Young

Alright here's my long drawn out story of all my band experiences, from my first one to current. I just copied and pasted from a previous thread because I am not typing it out again. It's worth a read if you have a few minutes.

"I'm just gonna go through and summarize all my band's existances from my time as an active musician. (2010-present)

Band #1 - Started by drummer and myself, I sang and played guitar. Brought on a friend to sing after a few months (at that point I didn't like singing much, now I fight to sing every chance I get ) Found a bassist and that went well for a month or so, then she convinced us to bring on another guitarist. That's where the problem started, the new guitarist only wanted to play clean guitar in a sludge/punk band I showed him how to use a spare distortion pedal we had around. He seemed ok with it at the time, only to later complain to the othersthat I was messing with his sound and telling him what to do, and the bassist decided she wanted me out and cited this as one of her reasons. The singer and drummer (who had been a close friend of mine for years) flat-out said they didn't want to be involved and let her kick me out because they needed a bassist or they would be back to square one anyway, and the band to broke up after the next practice because I was the primary songwriter and the other guitarist couldn't hold down the rhythm.

My feeling throughout that last month or so

Band #2 - prog-punk (yes, really) duo, me on guitar+vocals and a friend from tech school on piano/organ/synth/key-drums. Worked out great, had lots of fun writing, playing, and recording a demo. This is the most enjoyble band I've ever been in and probably ever will be in, Currently on hiatus, but we still manage to get together a couple times a year which will be a lot more often once I can afford a car. The keys player is honestly the best bandmate I have ever had: like-minded to me, open to experimentation and new songs, will happily play any cover, doesn't care what people think of our music and just enjoys playing it, and truly enjoys being a musician.

Band #3 - a previously established rock 5-piece I played bass in for 3-4 months. I got in with them because the drummer from band #1 had joined and he talked me into it. I had fun just playing bass and not being involved in the band politics/songwriting as much. Played a few shows (first band I was in that had gotten to playing live), made around $75 or so in the few months I was in it, but the band had started to show signs of dissolving. So talk between the singer and one guitar player of starting another band had started and they had wanted to involve me in it because they thought I was a good bassist and guitar player from the couple of times they had heard me play. Well that fucking backfired when their talk of starting a new band had come up during a practice and they set me up as their scapegoat so I got kicked out of the band and the drummer's house by his parents (I was 16 at the time, and we practiced in the drummer's parent's basement)

Band #3.5 - Skip to a few months to a year later, same band ^. Drummer and I have been friends a long time, so he convinced the rest of the band to give me a chance as a guitarist. The conspiring guitarist had left, they had found a new bassist and were now a guitar player short, so they decided to give me try. I learned all their songs in one night for a show the next day. Show went good, I got complimented by the band on how tight my playing was despite the circumstances. Last I hear from them for a week or so until I see that they had added a new member on their site/fb, a guitar player they had only had over to practice twice. A good chunk of my time and a ride to the venue wasted for nothing. They broke up about two months after the drummer quit.

Band #4 - My current band, Alt-rock. Drummer from #1 (dear jebus, when will I fucking learn? ), myself on guitar, and another guitarist, with me and drummer sharing vocals. This one has its ups and downs. Originally me and the drummer worked together on the band stuff but after we found a second guitarist, the drummer took over leadership. We've played some shows, made a demo with just me and the drummer, and this summer we made our self released debut album. There was a lot of tension because of the amount of time it took, the drummer has no patience whatsoever so he complained constantly. I did all of the engineering, producing, mixing, and mastering. I put a hell of a lot of my personal time into this project and the drummer complained about how long it took me the whole time. I'm not saying he didn't help at all; he found someone to do the artwork and did all the cd burning and assembly. But the constant verbal abuse and endless stream of texts asking how it was going and what I was doing at that very moment was absolutely unneeded. If we record again it will be at a studio or we will bring in a sound guy to record and find someone to mix it for us. I can't tell if this band is getting better and better or falling apart before my eyes.

Band #5 - me, myself, and I; My solo project. Acoustic and Electric folk meets punk/alt rock. This is where my songs that the drummer in #4 refuses to play go (he's not a very reasonable person) I hope to work these into a band context when I can find some new people and hopefully get the keys player from #2 involved.

So, what have I learned?
-Personality and attitude mean more in a band setting than being super talented.
-If a band has had the same lineup for more than a year and it still isn't working, it's time to call it quits.
-Girl bass players may kick you out of your own band, there are cool ones out there if you look though.
-If you are repeatedly stabbed in the back by or have problems that resonate from the same bandmate, quit or kick them out and don't join any band they're in. Life is short, don't waste your time on assholes.
-Talking about leaving a band or forming another band without the whole band present is a good way to get curbed or framed.
-Don't get your head too close to a stage volume bass cab , your head will hurt for days.
-It's easier to keep track of people in a duo or trio than in a 5+ piece. Power groups tend to form in large band situations too.
-Don't let drummers sing, they tend to become power-drunk easily
-If you let a bandmate borrow something of yours for more than one practice, you probably won't ever see it again.

Learn from my experience, don't let people use you, and stay cool "

Soundcloud

Last edited by tukk04 : 01-13-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #59
noisewall11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mustangs
Well in my high school band we had 3 guys (including me) who didn't take ourselves very seriously and the drummer was uber serious about everything, must have been hell for him, he wanted to book gigs and whatnot and we just sat around in his garage, drinking and playing early Metallica stuff as loud as we could.

My friends and I had a band like that when we were 15. It was my one "lead" guitarist friend that kept taking everything seriously. He seemed pretty intent on writing everything yet it was nothing that would have gotten us anywhere.. pretty much just 4 power chord grunge wannabe crap. He'd get all whiny when we'd goof around and stuff and after we "broke up", he kept the songs up on our myspace with captions and stuff like "too bad we messed around too much to get anything done".. ok, we had like 2-3 original songs that sounded like the above and some crappy covers. We could have totally gone big.

Thank **** he wasn't trying to book gigs or anything.
noisewall11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #60
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

^^ here we go

Rate This Thread: