Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #61
Black Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
So why not quit? Fuck idiots who prefer breakdowns over actual complex instrumental passages.

Meh, I usually ending up winning most of the arguments, plus I like hanging out with the other guys in the band and we've all already committed some money to recording over spring break.... Shoulda quit before I got in too deep
Black Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #62
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major

I was in a band for a good 4 years actually, and there were a lot of things holding us back, but I really feel like above anything else, if we had the money to buy better gear at the time, we probably would have done a lot better.

I played lead guitar, and I'm sorry to admit that I was kinda your typical lead guitarist. I wasn't as bad as I could have been, I didn't try to write the bassist's parts, and we were pretty democratic about the couple of covers we ever chose, but still. I thought I was an amazing guitarist, when in reality I was really messy and couldn't play pretty much any of the solos I wrote. (I don't know if I've gotten any better at playing, but I stopped writing stuff I can't play at all.) I think learning to play the Crazy Train solo pretty decently blew my ego way out of proportion. I wrote all of our songs, and some of them were actually half decent, at least the instrumental parts. The vocals I wrote were terrible. I was really bad about not wanting anything I wrote to be changed at all, which I've since grown out of.

Our singer was in the band for the last 2 years (before that we either had no singer, or this one guy who never sang and quit an hour before our first gig, leaving me to sing because I actually knew the words to Crazy Train.) I honestly can't figured out why he was in the band or why he stayed, beyond the fact that we were all friends. Maybe he hoped to somehow turn our band around or something. Anyway, the bassist, rhythm guitarist, and I were all really into classic rock, so thats all we ever did for covers, and then most of my originals were somewhere between Classic Rock and Metal Core stuff, like a metal-core riff with a classic rock chorus or some nonsense.
The singer didn't like any of that. At the time he was into some system of a down, foo fighters, random stuff, and was starting to get really into Warped Tour (yes, that is a genre) music, which is what he like now. Needless to say he never wanted to learn any of the covers or originals, so he pretty much never sang at practice. I guess he really just wanted to be in the band, because somehow we got him to learn Crazy Train and like 2 or 3 of my originals that weren't quite as bad as the others. We played three gigs with him, and have since done some less organized gigs and stuff where we just threw some covers together, more music that he's into.

Our drummer was pretty cool, really the only bad thing I can say about him is that he liked to play super loud, which is fine, except in order to be able to hear any of the song the rest of us had to turn up. Since we had cheapo digital solid state amps the volume level just made everything sound like mush. He also focused mostly on his kick drum parts, but we never had a mic for his kick, so you couldn't hear it. And finally, two years ago he moved to Pennsylvania, and I haven't been in a band since.

Our bassist was and still sorta is a chronic over-player. I guess all of us were back then, but he seems to have grown out of it the least. I think he wants to grow up to be the Yngwie Malmsteen of bassists.

Our rythm guitarist was moody and would sometimes refuse to play. We're now roommates in college and he says it was because everything already sounded terrible together and he didn't feel the need to make it worse, which is fair enough.

I feel like if we all got together again (with a different singer) we could actually be a really good band, but our drummer is in PA, and our bassist goes to a college 2 hours away from the school I'm at. Back then we always had trouble getting people to practice, with many practices being just me and the drummer, and maybe one other member. Our gear also made it impossible to get a blended sound, everything just clashed. We also overplayed, and didn't have as good a taste in music as we thought we did. Nowadays I think we'd be more likely to play Chili Peppers type stuff than Metal-core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Danjo's Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #63
Jako215
UG's Fat Frendo

This one really quick time I got high and walked to my friends house. He goaded me into being in this band he was starting with these guys he was hanging out with. Me and like 5 other people drove back to my house and they watched me play, and this big ****er was really hyper and kept touching my stuff. His girlfriend was laying on my bed all droopy and stupid like she owned the place. Keep in mind these are people I am just meeting except for my friend. I got pissed and asked them all politely to leave. The big guy was still hyper as shit and almost took my SM57. After a quick reminder he put it down. I had to pull my friend aside and tell him there is no way I am joining a band with that big hyper ****. I think he understood and agreed that it wasn't good to let me make this decision while high.

If there are any morals to this story, DO NOT agree to join a band while high.

iSupport the Philadelphia Eagles, Phillies, Flyers, Union, and Sixers.
Dallas Sucks!

Jako215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:27 PM   #64
CowpokeFromHell
Trained Professional

I'll throw this one out there: My first band. There were five of us, 3 girls(drums,vocals,piano if needed), and 2 guys(including me. Bass and guitar) We all knew our roles, and managed to get our silly song done just in time for the high school talent show. Lots of shitty practice sessions turned it into a last minute thing. The girls failed to show up for practice a lot. They didn't practice their parts on their own time, either. When we got around to the show, things were alright. The school had a shitty PA system, so our vocalists were hard to hear. One of them almost seemed like she had stage fright. I could hear the other clearly. If it weren't for her, I'd have to count my way through the song to tell where I was!

Anyways, despite our efforts, the band collapsed. The bassist and I continued to jam though. I miss that guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamSessionFreak
Some of my farts last longer than Axe does.
CowpokeFromHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #65
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Shitty band experience? I could go on for days with a subject like this. Seriously, I don't think a single person in this thread's experience surpasses the amount of idiocy I've encountered.

I'm too tired to share all of it right now, but what I will at least go over are vocalists:

Pro-tip: Anyone who claims they're a great vocalist, isn't. Ever. They're usually idiots who failed to learn an instrument but still want to be in a band and thinks being a singer is easy, but use no technique and can't sing a single note on-pitch.

The ones who are good singers you will almost never find. They either are: A.) Hiding, B.) Hate your music genre, or C.) Can't do harsh vocals for certain genres of metal (NOT screamo shit, I'm talking typical false chord or fry-scream vocals).

That's another great thing I loved hearing from the "vocalists" I've tried to hire in my failure bands. Their hideous attempts at harsh vocals. I've dealt with about 3 of them who thought they had "beast fry screams" but in reality had really, really shitty pushed whisper screams they thought were incredible. The ego's they had were ridiculous.

After a line of talentless hacks for vocalists I just decided to be vocalist along with guitarist for my current band project. I've never really thought I'm that great of a singer, but I've been learning to appreciate myself. I at least have a decent range and use proper techniques unlike those other idiots who called themselves "vocalists."

I mean, a few bands have asked if I could do vocals for them, so that says something I guess (actual bands, with talent, not just a bunch of stupid kids). I'm still considering singing lessons to help me improve.
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:53 PM   #66
Jako215
UG's Fat Frendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mustangs
Now though, I'm in a metalcore band with a another guitar player who comes from "real" metal like me and three scene kids.... I do most of the writing, but it's annoying when we put together a complex instrumental section or whatever and the other guys are like, "Nah bro, don't wanna learn all that, just replace it with a really br00tal breakdown"

This is every band in Levittown Ever. Except for Soundgarden's band. It irks me beyond belief that all these people do is play breakdowns and get away with it. Try just a little bit!

Dallas Sucks!

Old 01-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #67
jrwray

I had a shitty band experience. It all started when we got a singer. Originally we had a rhythm guitarist, a bassist, drummer, and me on lead guitar. The singer was mainly friends with me and the drummer so we decided to let him in on vocals. Biggest mistake I think I'll ever make in my ****ing life. I was happy that we finally found a singer and had a stable line up. But then our vocalist ruined that for me. One day I decided to come over to his house with my gear to jam and to see how he could sing. After I got done playing a couple of songs that's when he told me of his little plan. He said we should kick out everyone in the band cause he knows some people who are probably way better than the other members and that he knows some people who could get us some gigs at pretty big clubs and venues. I told him no because he's never heard the other members play while I have and they're pretty good. So a few days passed and one day at school in the morning the bassist walked up to me looking REALLY pissed. I thought he was about to legitly kick my ass. That's when he told me everybody but me was kicked out of the band. That's when all of the other band members started fighting with on another and the singer just sat back and watch it all happen. So we all decided to screw the idea of having a band. I was really bummed that we lasted only like a week and that we started fighting with each other. And that is my story of how the singer is a dick.
jrwray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #68
huishi
Banned

huishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #69
-Retro-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
I mean, a few bands have asked if I could do vocals for them, so that says something I guess (actual bands, with talent, not just a bunch of stupid kids). I'm still considering singing lessons to help me improve.

I've thought of vocal lessons, I've had such a problem meeting singers who aren't total dicks that I'd rather sing myself. Plus, it'd be easier to write for me instead of a singer. I'm not that confident in my voice though. It's okay, I guess. I really haven't tried much.
-Retro- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #70
blake1221
‭‭

I got so lucky compared to you guys haha.
blake1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:38 PM   #71
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
I got so lucky compared to you guys haha.

Way to make me feel shit, blake. Dammit, blake. Fuck you, man!

J/k. <3

Edit:
Why'd change your avatar again?!

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 01-13-2013 at 11:40 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:39 PM   #72
jeremessmore
THE CLAAAAW!

Out of the 3 bands I've been in, I have at least one shitty story per band.

Band #1: It was a Pop-Punk band that started as a metal band, but the only person we knew that could drum decided we were going to be pop-punk because everyone played metal. We did everything pretty well, promoted ourselves, had some decent pictures, all that stuff. Then we got to the studio.
At this point in time, I had no idea how to play to a metronome, so the producer already hated me. And I didn't REALLY know how to play guitar at that point in time, so every note I played was slightly out of tune. He hated the other guitarist because he made the whole studio smell. He hated the bass player because he played bass, and he hated the singer because he spent half an hour trying to sing 3 words. Bad news bears...

Band #2: I started this band with my friends as a summer fun kind of thing. We were a band for approximately 3 days when we were offered a show. I had never played a show at this point, so I was like "**** yeah, let's go!" Then we realized on the way to the show, that we were playing a cover of my first band's only song, a song I wrote that was a minute and a half long, and some other shit. We cancelled fairly quickly.

Band #3 (Current band): This band was sort of established when I joined, and they had a show booked for a little under a month away from the day I joined. I learned the songs decently, but definitely not well enough to play a show. Then the other guitarist of the band quit. So we got a fill in 10 days before the show. We thought we were completely prepared, we were going to win the battle of the bands and all that jazz since we sold all our tickets and we were "amazing". So, we play... It was the single worst performance that probably could have happened. Video here, skip to 1:50 for plot summary of the whole thing.

(I'm next to the synth player)
We proceeded to play more shows that were slightly better than that, but it never really got a lot better until we got a new drummer.

Last edited by jeremessmore : 01-13-2013 at 11:46 PM.
jeremessmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:40 PM   #73
blake1221
‭‭

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Way to make me feel shit, blake. Dammit, blake. Fuck you, man!

J/k. <3

Not like that.

But like...damn, I haven't had a major issue in any band I've been in.
blake1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:22 AM   #74
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
Not like that.

But like...damn, I haven't had a major issue in any band I've been in.

I figured. I was just giving you shit.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:14 AM   #75
Bushinarin
UG Senior Member

I've been in two real bands. My first band was sort of a folk review band where we wrote a whole comedy folk album from the perspective of two traveling racists who wanted to spread pansexuality (as in having sex with the sky, rocks, water, animals and plants) to everywhere. It was great and we're working on more music.

The other band is a metal band that me and my friends cannot seem to get off the ground. We play, and we learn and we write, but it seems like its going to permanently be a jam band with not much else behind it. Plus there is a bit of a difference in interests between the band members in terms of songwriting.

Neither band is/was "bad", but they aren't really traditional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jako215
This is every band in Levittown Ever. Except for Soundgarden's band. It irks me beyond belief that all these people do is play breakdowns and get away with it. Try just a little bit!

I can't think of any bands from our town at all besides, like, bar bands.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Bushinarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:14 AM   #76
Jako215
UG's Fat Frendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushinarin
I can't think of any bands from our town at all besides, like, bar bands.

All the hardcore kids have a band. They usually play Champs in Jersey or St. Pauls on Levittown Pkw.

Dallas Sucks!

Old 01-14-2013, 05:50 AM   #77
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

My current band is pretty good right now minus my drummer being a cook, makes everything a huge painvin the ads. We all agreed that were bringing in annother member so we can practice more regularly and book gigs easier. This is going to suck considering guitarists arround here play geezer rock, metalcore and post-rock. The recruiting process is going to be fun. The bass player is shifting to drums and im switching to bass because they are quite rare in these parts and we dont suck at them.
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #78
metacarpi
Too old for this ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by losing battle
My current band is pretty good right now minus my drummer being a cook, makes everything a huge painvin the ads. We all agreed that were bringing in annother member so we can practice more regularly and book gigs easier. This is going to suck considering guitarists arround here play geezer rock, metalcore and post-rock. The recruiting process is going to be fun. The bass player is shifting to drums and im switching to bass because they are quite rare in these parts and we dont suck at them.

Must come in useful for post-practice snacks though.

Watching: Futurama
Listening: Every Time I Die - From Parts Unknown
Playing: Watch_Dogs/EA UFC
metacarpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #79
red_hot_chili18
Russian Circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metacarpi

www.hourglasspromo.co.uk - live music promotion website, 'av a gander!!!

I'm selling an Ibanez BTB 24 fret limited edition bass for 150, PM me.

PSN: BenGarbutt1989
red_hot_chili18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #80
tukk04
UG's Neil Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by metacarpi

Soundcloud
tukk04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: