User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #21
DESTROYER5000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Cherry plywood? Why plywood? I know regular lumber is expensive, but building a guitar is a decent to significant amount of effort, you might wish you'd spent a little more on the wood when you get done.

As for painting, look at reranch if you want some good guitar paint in a can. If you have access to spray equipment(and experience with it), then you might consider something else, like adding a pigment to clear lacquer.

The reason for plywood is because it was free i know cherry is very much like maple
And I figure its going to be painted the color of randy rhoades' 70's les paul custom.
My uncle is the guy who built the Bigfoot guitar and that one has the whole body made from cherry plywood. Just type Bigfoot guitar on google images and there is picture of him holding it.
DESTROYER5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #22
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

Even if cherry is much like maple, plywood will negate all effects of wood tone for the most part. And I Googled a bit, the bigfoot guitar isn't made of plywood. Took about 10 seconds to find that out.

Upright fretted electric bass build!
Wisthekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #23
DESTROYER5000
Banned

What do you not plywood he told me it was he even showed it too me in the process before he painted it where did you read that it's not plywood?
Old 01-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #24
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

Here's the main "bigfoot guitar" that comes up on Google being built.

http://totalrojoguitars.blogspot.fr...been-found.html

Old 01-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #25
DESTROYER5000
Banned

That's not the guitar his like realistic I guess I would say his is type in on google search georgemarlinguitars.com and that is his website.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:19 AM   #26
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

That must have TONS of filler to get that kind of "sculpting" with plywood.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:28 AM   #27
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESTROYER5000
That's not the guitar his like realistic I guess I would say his is type in on google search georgemarlinguitars.com and that is his website.

Is English your second language?
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:33 AM   #28
DESTROYER5000
Banned

Lol No English is my first language.its just typing on an iPad is sorta hard for me.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:53 AM   #29
Maineguitarist
Go to Mainer

Quote:
Lol No English is my first language.its just typing on an iPad is sorta hard for me.

Fair enough....
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Maineguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:40 AM   #30
DESTROYER5000
Banned

Also the guitar that I used for parts had a stoptail bridge like the squire bullet strat but I
Was thinking of switching to a tune o matic what does everyone think about them.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #31
DESTROYER5000
Banned

Also do you mean sculpting as a negative thing because I notice it is in quotation marks
Old 01-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #32
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

I like TOM bridges more, but that's me personally. And I don't mean that negatively, it just looks more sculpted than carved because of the thick paint and odd shape.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #33
DESTROYER5000
Banned

I think he used 2 pieces 3/4 cherry plywood.i have one more question how would plywood negate the tone it's not like that of the woods tone shows.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #34
DESTROYER5000
Banned

You need to paint your firebird ghostly white
Old 01-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #35
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

Woods do actually impact the sounds of guitars. By using plywood, there's so much glue and the wood is usually not good quality, so it negates the tone you'd get from wood and generally makes it have nearly no sustain.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:59 AM   #36
DESTROYER5000
Banned

There's paper thin amounts of glue,and I can see where solid wood would make a better guitar,but its my first build so if turns out to be bad at least I did not waste any money on the wood,right?you see I don't have the money to buy a body blank,even if I did have that much money this is my first build. Sorry for the rant, but I'm basing my thought on the same principal of the ampeg Dan Armstrong where all the sound comes is supposed to come from electronics,right?its called an ELECTRIC guitar,right? Keyword here being electric.so that's where I am coming from on my opinion.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #37
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

I don't know about where you are, but here at least, real wood is cheaper. You can get poplar, pine, cedar, and red oak for about half the cost of good plywood.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #38
DESTROYER5000
Banned

when I went to the lumber yard the piece I wanted 1 1/2" thick bubinga ,
I believe that is how you spell it,because its very similar to mahogany but it was like $250 for it so I was never mind with that.but I had some cherry plywood in 3/4 thickness that I knew I could layer and make a body blank out of. Did you that squires are plywood maple I think. But I just got done with my template I'm just keeping 2 volumes a 3 way switch and a killswitch.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #39
DESTROYER5000
Banned

What does pine sound like?
Old 01-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #40
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
when I went to the lumber yard the piece I wanted 1 1/2" thick bubinga ,
I believe that is how you spell it,because its very similar to mahogany but it was like $250 for it so I was never mind with that.but I had some cherry plywood in 3/4 thickness that I knew I could layer and make a body blank out of. Did you that squires are plywood maple I think. But I just got done with my template I'm just keeping 2 volumes a 3 way switch and a killswitch.

So you wanted an exotic African wood, but it was too expensive for you, so you went with plywood instead? Was there no compromise? Surely you could have gotten a piece domestic wood for much less than bubinga.

And I don't know if some Squiers are plywood, but I do know that most of them are solid woods. I'm guessing that if Fender does use plywood for their some of the Squiers, then it's probably the cheapest Squiers they offer. That should tell you something about how desirable plywood is right there.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: