Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-14-2013, 12:59 AM   #1
frog_friend

Upper register sounds breathy

When I sing towards the top of my register the notes don't really have much power behind them. They sound breathy and waver a lot. Any tips on how to get more strength in that register? I've been doing a few things like doing onsets, and a few other exercises but I seem to be stuck. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
frog_friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:23 AM   #2
food1010
Bassist

The simple answer would be that you have an issue with your diaphragm support. It's generally easier to have the full chesty tone when you are in your lower register, but it's a little more difficult to transfer that chest resonance up into your head voice.

One exercise that might help is starting in your lower register with a full chesty tone and gradually sliding upward into your upper register. You want to try to keep volume and support consistent throughout this slide. It might help to go slower, you can take a breath if you need to, just make sure you pick up with the same support you had before the breath.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
Sethis

The difference between falsetto ( that breathy tone) and head voice is cord closure. You need to use your cords to control air flow and not just let lots of air pass through. It's always better if you hear it for yourself so watch this video:
Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: