Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
william55535

pickup help

Ive been playing guitar for about 6 years but know nothing about pickups or wiring. I broke the neck off of my Studio Les paul and get it repaired and am going to have it spray painted with a custom design. Ive found that the sound cuts out when i go to the treble setting on my guitar (which i rarely used) and am getting the guitar taken apart for the painting anyway so i'm looking for new pickups to use. Im wondering how much a new pickup would cost and what kind of pickups to get. if possible id like to only get the treble one and am looking to spend from 100-to 200 dollars. Any ideas or help would be nice.
william55535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Gonna need more information than that, like what do you want to sound like.

And look into Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
william55535

i play a lot of things like tool but i am also part of a marching band and play out of a roland KC 150 piano amp with a Line 6 Pod HD 500 multi effects pedal. I play high distortion in my band but extremely clean in my school's marching band.
william55535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by william55535
i play a lot of things like tool but i am also part of a marching band and play out of a roland KC 150 piano amp with a Line 6 Pod HD 500 multi effects pedal. I play high distortion in my band but extremely clean in my school's marching band.

Man, "clean" and "high distortion" tell me nothing. Pick an artist who's clean sound you wish to pursue, same with high-gain.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:30 AM   #5
sytharnia1560
I hate sanding

do you like the sound of the pick ups you have already??...have you looked at the wiring?? sounds like a wire has come off the bridge pick up so would be a very easy fix
sytharnia1560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:00 AM   #6
Grunt344

Ok first things first. Get yourself a decent soldering iron. You can pickup a red weller soldering station at sears or online for 40 bucks. It will save you money down the line. Trust me on this one. Get a good iron. Also Your pickup is probably fine. The problem is probably just a wire that worked its way loose. If you Want to change pickups these are what I recommend...

For pickups I would say an Sh-6 Duncan Distortion bridge pickup for great high gain sound and an Sh-2 jazz neck pickup for pristine cleans (both seymour duncan). Guitar wiring Is remarkably simple and you can find great layouts/wiring diagrams on guitarelectronics.com. They also have great quality parts. I have used their parts myself and those pickups with my pod hd500. They wont disappoint you. Also, look up some guides on how to solder, its pretty simple but practice soldering metal junk first it helps. If you want anymore tips or tidbits just pm me.

Last edited by Grunt344 : 01-15-2013 at 03:03 AM.
Grunt344 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: