Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
ikey_

been feeling harmonies - what pedal?

ive been listening to a some tones like boston and brian may, and ive really been wanting to use some harmonies into my mead tone.

i thought i might pick up a second delay and run them into each other, but this really would work better with a stereo setup.

or can i get some kinda harmony pedal? the best ive seen is a BOSS PS6. any other ideas?

i do not want a whammy.
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
ikey_

holy crap, i thought i was getting away from boss, but after i just did some research into their feedback / booster and ps6 harmonizer. wow. imagine them together?

can any pedal by other make do what these boss pedals can do?
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Old 11-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
Shor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikey_
can any pedal by other make do what these boss pedals can do?

Well since you asked... Eventide Pitchfactor.
It'll pretty much do anything pitch-related there is. It has delays for your harmonies as well if you want. Tracking is pretty excellent as well.
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
ikey_

hmmm. that a top of the line pedal. not sure its worth that much to me but something to look into.

can it do feedback? this harmony / feedback boss combo is tempting.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
Shor

I don't really know what that "feedback"-thing is really...my amp tends to sort that thing out for me by itself
The Eventide is definitely overkill if you just want simple harmonies though...it's got tons and tons of features. You can get some really weird sounds out of it though...it does wonders for giving me inspiration when I play around with it at least.
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
Jhachey22
Bαnned on the Run

Check out the Mooer pitch box. It's around $100 and does all your basic harmonizing needs.

Using a delay for harmonizing is fun, but you tend to limited in what notes you can play and how fast you play them.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Jhachey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
BledGhostWhite
Stop being a centipede

I'm honestly not sure it's what you're looking for, and it's a little pricey, but the Earthquaker BitCommander looks awesome.
BledGhostWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
ikey_

unfortunately, i hear bad things about the boss feedback / boost. i hear negatives from both functions of the pedal. that was is a strict try in person pedal at this point.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:51 AM   #9
WeZ-84

If you're on a budget, the Behringer US600 does pretty much what the PS6 can do and is a lot cheaper.
As Behringers go, I'd say it's one of their better pedals.

There are loads of demos on youtube - there are a couple where it is compared side by side with some much more expensive pedals that do a similar thing and it holds its own quite well against them
WeZ-84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #10
Riffstation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhachey22
Check out the Mooer pitch box. It's around $100 and does all your basic harmonizing needs.

I bought this today...it's not as versatile as the boss harmonizer pedal but it is great for the money. It only does parallel harmonies not scale harmonies. Also, the intervals are not chromatic but it contains the major and minor scale harmonies and dim 2nd. Surprisingly it's got a - / + 24 semitone mode...pretty rough but good fun. Definitely good value for money.
Riffstation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
Reincaster
Call me Rein.

I would go for the pitchfactor. Anything else doesn't sound as natural, nor as forgiving. The best harmonizer I ever used was in the Axe Fx, and the guy that wrote the code for that worked for Eventide, so the Pitchfactor should be just as good, if not better.
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Reincaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #12
crabstampede
Slowest Metal Guitarist

the Boss Harmonist is decent but the controls are not labeled well and the whammy effect is a total waste. the harmonies themselves are just less than natural sounding but with high gain... easily passable. doesn't do harmonic minor, but you can get away with it for the most part by setting major and 3 half steps up. there's just one harmony in the scale that doesn't work I think. overall good pedal and the detune is a good replacement for chorus if you're running out of room on your pedalboard.
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
crabstampede is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: