Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
squier_4_life
UG Chick Sexer

Vox AC30 HWH?

Hey guys, I'm looking to spend between $1000-$2000 on a new amp. For the past few years I've been playing an Ibanez SZ520 through a Vox Valvetronix 100-watt. I recently bought a Gibson LP Standard and the difference during band practice was HUGE even just through my VT. I'm now looking into getting a new amp. I'm leaning towards a stack, and came across the AC30 hand-wired (HWH):

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AC30HWHD/

I can't seem to find the custom classic (CC) AC30 as an amp head on any of the online retailers:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--VOXAC30CCH

(notice how it says no longer available)

The combos are obviously available everywhere. So, my question is, does anyone know if the HWH replaced the CC head in terms of the main product line Vox is selling? What's the difference between the two? And would you recommend going with a head (HWH or CC) or the CC combo?

Some details about what it will be used for: I'm in an indie band and we practice regularly (couple of times per week) and are looking to increase our gigging this year to at least 1-3 times per month, often in different cities (so, lots of travelling), playing small-ish clubs with 250-500 person capacities. We're a 3 piece, so I need to be able to play leads and rhythms, and fill out a lot of space. Our style is pop rock/modern rock, we have a few harder songs and a few cleaner songs.
squier_4_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
Roc8995

The CC head was discontinued. The CC line came out a few years ago, then was replaced by the C2 line, and now they've brought the CC line back but only in the 2x12 for the AC30. The 1x12 and the head of the CC are discontinued.

The AC30C2 head is the replacement for the CC head, since the major difference between the two was the speakers and cab construction. The HW head is a step up from the C2/CC heads, which you'll notice from the price difference. If you're wondering whether to get a HW or a CC you probably haven't played both, the HW are clearly better unless you need one of the specific functions or features of the C2.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
squier_4_life
UG Chick Sexer

Thanks! I haven't played either one yet, I'm just putting a list together of possible amps and was curious about the difference between the two.
squier_4_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
Roc8995

The Vox site has complete specs on both. The short version is that the C2 has a lot of stuff the HW doesn't have - reverb, trem, some tone switching on the back - but the C2 sounds a lot better if you don't want/need all those options.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart

Like Colin (Roc8995), the CC head was discontinued around February 2012).
I have an AC30CCH and love it.
I bought it about 5 years ago from Sweetwater. I even had to special order it, so apparently when they were selling them, they were not always in stock.
I paid $900 for it, so the HW version is not that much more expensive for what you get IMO.
Makes it very versatile having the head, being that I can mix and match cabs whenever it suits me.

The HW head will have better construction than the CC/C2/ etc. heads.
Sound wise, I don't know as I have not had a chance to do a comparison.
Although I have played the handwired combos and preferred my AC30CCH to the ones I played.
But having put JJ tubes in my head and Celestion G12K-85 and an Alnico Gold ( My Cabinet Build thread ) may have affected my preference.

But I will say one thing about head versus combo...
Changing tubes on the heads is far easier than on the combos.

I would go for the HWHD if it were me.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
The Vox site has complete specs on both. The short version is that the C2 has a lot of stuff the HW doesn't have - reverb, trem, some tone switching on the back - but the C2 sounds a lot better if you don't want/need all those options.
Crap, not having reverb and trem alone is a deal breaker for me (I get into Surf Music mode now and then).
Sorry didn't notice that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
I'm sorry that we won't validate your decision, we give advice here, not good feelings.

My friends call me Rob.

Last edited by CodeMonk : 01-14-2013 at 09:36 PM.
CodeMonk is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: